Pantum P2502W Toner Reset Chip help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pantum P2502W Toner Reset Chip help

We all waiting for someone to find that Holy Grail.

This topic is almost with 29000 views! (Thanks Google)
    Last edited by flash_os; 12-30-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Just read through the thread. I see the chips are still for sale - https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...r+PANTUM+P2200 and I reworked one of the earlier photos do ID the pin outs. Still looking for the Magic to make these the ultimate cheapo printers to own.
      Attached Files

Comment

My first post from Arnie+dogs
        My little Pantum P2500W and 3 toner cartridges have been a royal pain.
        I worked for IBM from 1959 to 65 as a Customer Engineer on their office products during the period when they discontinued their last original product, the time clock. They introduced their dictating machine in addition to their electric typewriters (the only electric thing in them was an electric motor. I quit before they took on copy machines and went on to follow my destiny as a pilot and Captain at Eastern Air Lines. After the airlines I picked up an ASE Master Mechanic title around 1990 after taking automotive electronics at the local CC.
        My little printer never performed too well. I got some toner from Amazon and refilled my 3 cartridges. Knowing that there is waste toner in the process I cleaned out those chambers first. Then filled the new toner chamber to 2 inches less than totally full. I put the oldest toner in the printer and got the orange light and no printing.
        I then swapped the newest end plate on to the oldest cartridge to get the newer chip. This worked for a short time and then another orange light and no printing. I then went through my google searches for chip info. I found one to reset the counter. It mentioned a printer start button so I tried the procedure using my start switch. It worked, no orange light and has been printing for a few months. The procedure is listed below. Good luck.

Pantum Chip Resetter

Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer
        Open the cartridge door and hold down the power button (power switch ON)
        Reconnect the power cables while power is ON
        Close the cartridge door and release the power button (power switch OFF)
        The ink cartridge chip is now reset
        Remove the ink cartridge and clean the electrical contacts on the cartridge
        and on the machine
        Reinstall the cartridge and use up the toner

Google 8/27/2018 modified

Comment

Thanks!!!
          I will try next time.

Comment

Stumbled across this forum while trying to find a fix for the orange low ink warning on my Pantum P2500W. Tried the steps that Arnie+dogs suggested, but it didn't work. I'm assuming that when it said "hold down power button", it's referring to having the switch in the "on" position. Same way with "release power button" is just turning off the switch in the back. Is there a different button that should be physically held down during this process?

Comment

Last edited by geekgirl1111; 05-26-2019, 01:42 PM. Reason: incorrect responce

Comment

Comment

search the board identification on Baidu.com, and if you find nothing then try Yandex.ru, its got to be there
                  Last edited by captainKKK; 07-29-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie+dogs View Post
                    My first post from Arnie+dogs
                    My little Pantum P2500W and 3 toner cartridges have been a royal pain.
                    I worked for IBM from 1959 to 65 as a Customer Engineer on their office products during the period when they discontinued their last original product, the time clock. They introduced their dictating machine in addition to their electric typewriters (the only electric thing in them was an electric motor. I quit before they took on copy machines and went on to follow my destiny as a pilot and Captain at Eastern Air Lines. After the airlines I picked up an ASE Master Mechanic title around 1990 after taking automotive electronics at the local CC.
                    My little printer never performed too well. I got some toner from Amazon and refilled my 3 cartridges. Knowing that there is waste toner in the process I cleaned out those chambers first. Then filled the new toner chamber to 2 inches less than totally full. I put the oldest toner in the printer and got the orange light and no printing.
                    I then swapped the newest end plate on to the oldest cartridge to get the newer chip. This worked for a short time and then another orange light and no printing. I then went through my google searches for chip info. I found one to reset the counter. It mentioned a printer start button so I tried the procedure using my start switch. It worked, no orange light and has been printing for a few months. The procedure is listed below. Good luck.

Pantum Chip Resetter

Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer
                    Open the cartridge door and hold down the power button (power switch ON)
                    Reconnect the power cables while power is ON
                    Close the cartridge door and release the power button (power switch OFF)
                    The ink cartridge chip is now reset
                    Remove the ink cartridge and clean the electrical contacts on the cartridge
                    and on the machine
                    Reinstall the cartridge and use up the toner

Google 8/27/2018 modified
                    -I THINK i reset my toner

My printer was not print
                    I logged into config page (192.168.223.1 direct connect wifi)
                    information tap said 0% toner
                    Impossible I only printed about 20 pages
                    started googling. Saw replacement chip on ebay and ali
                    didn't want to wait for chip, don't want to waste money
                    I tried tapping metal contact always showed "Catridge not installed"
                    (yes they misspelled it)
                    I then saw this post, tried reset procedure above (I goofed it)

Unplugged (while it was on)
                    opened door
                    turned off power
                    plugged in power
                    turned on power - with door still open
                    closed door
                    turned off power
                    opened door, took out toner
                    replaced toner,
                    closed lid
                    turned on
                    checked status page
                    "Catridge not installed"
                    remembered still tape on contacts
                    removed tape
                    put toner in closed lid
                    (I THINK, it said 0% toner-I might have forgotten to refresh page)
                    opened, put take on only top 2 leads, re-installed
                    "Catridge not installed"
                    opened, put tape on only bottom 2 leads, re-installed
                    "Catridge not installed"
                    opened removed tape, re-installed
                    "Ready"
                    "Remaining Amount of Toner 99%"

-DISCLAIMER-
                    1 unless they have a date expiration on the chip, there is no reason I should have been out of toner, only used like 20 pages
                    2 I was super tired, in a hurry, wasn't scientific, could have miss read something
                    3 seems odd it would reset to 99% I would expect 100%
                    4 I did everything in like 2 minutes so no clue what step I may or may not have done
                    5 all I know is when I first checked status page with out touching toner it said 0%. I was not regularly checking status page or paying attention to lights. For all I know there was a weird glitch and a simple power cycle fixed it and I didn't notice.

-Future plans
                    1 I won't be checking this page, replying or doing anything else
                    2 I am mostly posting this in case someone wants to experiment (waste time)
                    3 posting so I remember what I did
                    4 when "Remaining Amount of Toner" = <99% I will try to recreate my reset to see if fluke
                    5 best thing to do is just buy reset chip from (ebay $8) or (ali $40 for 10) as I expect they will work and not be a waste of time

- history most likely not relevant
                    [
                    bought pantum 2502w because slickdeal post
                    bought extra toner incase first tone was a low starter
                    Used printer for a year, no issues (~100 pages)
                    got color printer, no longer used pantum

got pantum for label printer (ebay selling)
                    worked fine for months (~30 pages)
                    printer said out of toner, HUH
                    I got out replacement
                    Noticed I was past exp date on box
                    Weight of toners were very similar
                    tried it anyways
                    it worked for 3 months (~20 pages)
                    Today 2nd toner stopped working
                    ]

Please don't waste too much time trying anything as I assume I didn't reset anything. All I know is I went from 0% to 99% but could have been a fluke.

Comment

OK so here how it happens after reading all this :

0) power off remove cartridge

1) cover the middle two connections(leads) with tape

2) reinstall cartridge and power on

3) repeat step 0), remove tape, repeat step 2)

voila orange blinking again

dunno how long it may last ...............

Comment

as of Apr 2021

There is still no way to reset the "page count" on Pantum P2500w.

I have just tried the process on everyone's post (very carefully reading) in this thread without success. Nothing got resetted.

------------

More info to add for anyone who might be interested in buying those "new chip" from internet.

things to watch out for "Pantum P2500w" chip are.

1). There are PA, PB, PC, and PD which by guess is the "Regional Restriction".

2). The PA, PB, PC, and PD will be followed by 201, 210, 211. (Eg. PA-201, PC-210, or PD-211e) It really depends on where you buy the printer.

3). From my "googlesome", the chip model 201 is also used in P2500 model where it has never been listed in hard copy user manual or official website user manual.

----------------
                        Problem....

1). I can't figure it out myself whether the PA, PB, PC, and PD can be used exchangeably or not (Per say, if my original cartridge chip is PD, can I buy PA and install it without any problem)?

2). What are the difference between 201, 210, and 211 since they are all in use on P2500 model?

3). My original cartridge is PD-211e, so I took a chance to buy P201 chip. Unfortunately, the configuration page shows "Cartridge Mismatch".

just my warning, so you don't waste money like myself...

----------------

If anyone knows any answer, please share...

Comment

I have bought the Pantum 2500W (yet to arrive) and i am already reading this page !

Just FYI, In some of the images of those chip, i see the STM 8 bit microcontroller (https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3889617fae.pdf) being used. This one has built in EEPROM, which must be storing the info. but use of uC suggests that there must also be some kind of "handshaking" going on.

Comment

I fixed this easy. Follow this:
                            Remove toner.
                            Look at contacts on right side of PRINTER.
                            Put a wire on the BOTTOM connector, on the printer. You will need to ground this in a moment.
                            Replace toner. Ground the wire you just connected.
                            Turn on the power. Wait for the toner to initialize.
                            Turn off the power. Remove toner. Remove ground wire. Replace toner.
                            Turn on power. It should initialize normally and you should be able to print.
                            Done!!

Comment

I just ordered a P2500W. The toner chip communication is encrypted, according to the disassembled printer firmware, but I have all the necessary information (I think) to read/write the toner chip data using an arduino. If anyone is interested in a modified firmware that e.g. sees empty toner cartridges as full or wants to reprogram toner chips using an arduino, let me know.

Comment

The firmware on my new P2500W printer was encrypted, and the key to decode it was stored in 88PA6110 efuses, so I had to modify the bootloader to dump the efuse values via UART

Comment

Success

I reverse engineered the printer/chip protocol (including encryption), the meaning of the toner chip data (including encryption and checksums) and can communicate directly with the chip using a cheap CH341 USB programmer for reading out all the information.

I should be able to manipulate/reset the counters but I don't think I will try this any time soon, since I don't know what kind of toner chip anti-tamper protection the printer firmware has and I don't want to destroy my toner chip.

If anyone has a genuine chip that he/she does not need anymore, then please let me know.

(readonly data)
                                  type = PA210E
                                  volume = 700
                                  addlevel = 200
                                  lifecontrol = 0
                                  times = 0
                                  totalvolume = 900
                                  config = 4
                                  machineinfo/countrycode = 0xCC

(read/write data, before toner was used)
                                  printedpage = 12
                                  writecoverage = 281
                                  remain = 100
                                  printedact = 1
                                  toner_paper_a4 = 1
                                  toner_paper_a5 = 0
                                  toner_paper_b5 = 0

(read/write data, after printing the 4 builtin test/info pages)
                                  printedpage = 16
                                  writecoverage = 105
                                  remain = 100
                                  printedact = 5
                                  toner_paper_a4 = 5
                                  toner_paper_a5 = 0
                                  toner_paper_b5 = 0

Comment

Please I just got a solid orange light on my p2509.. How do I clear this without buying a new printer cartridge?

Comment

Originally posted by timschuerewegen View Post
                                      I just ordered a P2500W. The toner chip communication is encrypted, according to the disassembled printer firmware, but I have all the necessary information (I think) to read/write the toner chip data using an arduino. If anyone is interested in a modified firmware that e.g. sees empty toner cartridges as full or wants to reprogram toner chips using an arduino, let me know.
                                      How did you get pass the cartridge life expired please

Comment

Originally posted by Hife55 View Post
                                        How did you get pass the cartridge life expired please
                                        If your printer has an older firmware then it might be possible to reset the toner chip counters by sending a special command to the printer. I can probably help you with that. My P2500W has a "3.2.4.1" firmware (from 2020) and Pantum removed the "clear counters" command and added extra toner chip security, compared to a "1.1.9.7" firmware (from 2017).

If you can solder and have a CH341 USB programmer, then you can interface directly with the chip and try to clear the counters that way. I can also help you with that.

Comment

I successfully modified the page count on my toner chip, but ...

The newer firmware versions keep track of up to 5 toner chip page counts in the nvram area on the SPI flash chip. When the firmware reads the page count from the toner chip, it will compare it to the page count value in nvram for that toner chip and use the highest value. This means that lowering the page count on the toner chip alone will not work, unless you also edit nvram or use the toner chip in a new printer.

I also figured out how to dump and upgrade the firmware via USB. I might try to make a "toner always full" or "no toner chip required" firmware for my P2500W printer

Comment

Working...
                                          X