Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need LAN connection over several hundred meters - how to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need LAN connection over several hundred meters - how to do this?

just adding in my 2 cents. the schematic of your idea in the first post is almost exactly like how we implement the trace together system for malls, buildings, places etc. in singapore so the infected and their contacts can be quickly found and isolated to reduce spread. so the idea is definitely sound and it works in reducing the spread of covid-19.

the proof is in singapore's flat and non-existant curve. we are an island of 5.5 million people and we currently have 5 straight days of zero community cases and then followed by one day of 1-2 cases, then the pattern repeats over and over again. so well done in doing your part to help flatten the curve in your home!

and yes singapore too is a covid fortress where no one can come in without first testing negative. thats why singapore is cracking down hard on illegal immigration lest illegals bring covid in here. vietnam was doing so well in containing covid-19 but an infected illegal immigrant from china ended up causing the danang outbreak and ended vietnam's clean sheet of zero covid deaths. ah well... when u snooze against covid, u lose... lol!

i should get out more and stop working from home like chicken little... i may go out and see if i can figure out a proper detailed schematic of how singapore does the trace together system in buildings to compare and see if improvements in implementation can be done but no promises! if u dont hear back from me, it means im not quite done figuring it out yet. im not going to post in this thread anymore until i have something better to post. lol!

Comment

All my network / internet stuff that is spanning anywhere from 300m to a few kilometers is done with wifi bridges. Look at Ubiquiti etc. I have some links going now for more than 10 years. All it ever happened was that the POE power supplies went bad. Or fiberoptic.

Comment

there are wifi routers that connect together easily .my one will do it . never tried that though i just use it for my internet connection .

Comment

using wifi outdoors in some european country's is very illegal - check your laws.

Comment

We have that Ubiquity system here - it is how a lot of folks get their internet - from base stations around the hills/mountains

Strangely enough, the local guy I needed to hep me with this is currently ill with flu - not covid - which is why I posted here as the quotation for solution is now urgent and this is not my area of expertise

Thanks to all for advice - I do understand this topic is contraversial for some but in the case of our island communities it is essential we find a way to reopen our economies
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

If I would be in your shoes, I'd just slap a ubiquity system there and be done with it.

Comment

Yeah I found someone local who installs the Ubuiquity and he is qiving me a quote today
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  seems a bit flawed as all hot people are not infectious .
                  Then I would say everyone need to stay home and just be safe

But I would hope that everyone is wearing the right type of face mask and and more than 6 feet apart from each other and limiting there exposure in other words only goes some where if you have to
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-17-2021, 07:48 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

It's very simple. The maximum length of cable in one network segment is 100m.
                    Use POE and put 3 switches, if it is inside a building.
                    Powerline is also an option, although you have to test it. These adapters are not very reliable.
                    Last edited by televizora; 02-17-2021, 11:06 AM.
                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

No its an outdoor market

So I got a ubiquity omni directional antenna, and a directional dish shaped one - point the dish at the omni and it works
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                        No its an outdoor market
                        Then you have no other option, rather than either WLAN or eventually Powerline. Omni or panel antenna BS AP + panel or directional client AP-s.
                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Working...
                        X