Bad Video cards - Reflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Video cards - Reflow?

most datasheets state the minimum cell storage life of flashchips is 10years.
    so after 20 they could well be corrupt.

this is not true for high desity memory btw, if you think an SSD or similar is going to even last 5years in storage your pushing your luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      This one was AMD/ATI. I forgot what temp I got it to. All I know is I started hearing a cracking sound from the chip itself and thats when I stopped having the liquid flux under the chip I believe made a lot of difference
      Just don't tell me you use solid one, like us

Comment

Hi, Reflowing can't be a permanent repair as the real problem isn't solder problem but internal chip fault. By reflowing, you think that's because of solder balls melt that card work again but it's not true, the real reason is that the reflow remake connections of the chip material itself. You should desolder the chip and solder a new one but keep in mind that you need buy one new chip that isn't same manufacturer defective chip as you would have same problem some years after soldering the new manufacturer defect chip. Also as i see last post about cracking sound, this the "pop corn" effect as the chip litterally explose because of bad temperature profile. The most important in desoldering/soldering is the preheat phase and choose the right profile temp and time...

Comment

Working...
        X