PowerMac Dual 1Ghz Mirror Drive Pop&Burn Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PowerMac Dual 1Ghz Mirror Drive Pop&Burn Power Supply

darn - I tried to add a few pics to that last post on the innards of the speed controller, but was too late to edit.

Anyway, if you're wondering just what exactly that speed controller has on the inside, see the additional pics.
    Attached Files
    ---
    Integrity - doing the right thing even when no one is looking

Freedom - not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought.

Comment

Speed controller in essence is a high powered lamp dimmer. Not usable in this situation. Inductive loads could easily damage the unit. Incandescent lamps only or AC-DC motors (i.e.- Dremel tool), as the label says, are fine.

If the cap shorted then went open, it could take out the rectifiers and the MOSFET's as KC had reported.

I can't get the right symbols for the circuit program and I don't have a scanner else I'd draw the setup in a minute for the test lamp circuit. BLEAH!!

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Did it with the camera. See attached.

The bulb is in SERIES with the load; in this case, your PSU. Do not connect any load to the PSU. The bulb should come on briefly as power is applied and then go dim. If there is still a short, it will come on and stay on very near to or at full brightness.

The jumper wires are test leads you can acquire at Radio Shack or a similar store. They are lengths of wire with insulated alligator clips on the ends. Heavier is better.

I recommend you do this on a switch controlled outlet, in case something goes totally FUBAR you can kill the power. ( unless the circuit breaker beats you to it )

Ask questions if you're unsure of something.

Toast
        Attached Files
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
          The bulb is in SERIES with the load; in this case, your PSU. Do not connect any load to the PSU. The bulb should come on briefly as power is applied and then go dim. If there is still a short, it will come on and stay on very near to or at full brightness.

The jumper wires are test leads you can acquire at Radio Shack or a similar store. They are lengths of wire with insulated alligator clips on the ends. Heavier is better.

I recommend you do this on a switch controlled outlet, in case something goes totally FUBAR you can kill the power. ( unless the circuit breaker beats you to it )

Ask questions if you're unsure of something.

Toast
          Cool, that looks pretty simple. I could probably do that wood platform thing and just mount a 15/20A GFI outlet on there, yes? What about grounding?
          ---

Freedom - not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought.

Comment

Don't complicate this. It's a simple "plug in to wall outlet" tester. Respect the AC mains but don't fear it.

The bulb will limit the current to less than 1 amp. You could start out with a 60 watt bulb which will keep it at 1/2 amp or less.

Since KC has had no input since the initial, PM him and ask him to respond here on what he did and which MOSFET's (location) failed.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Don't complicate this. It's a simple "plug in to wall outlet" tester. Respect the AC mains but don't fear it.
              Toast

hahah... but I am a scientist, it's my job to take something simple and make it as complicated as possible...or, wait..should that be the reverse?
              ---

Comment

>>it's my job to take something simple and make it as complicated as possible<<

No. I think you are confusing your job with the government's....
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Odd that KC hasn't responded to your PM, ran?

You need the following info, correct?
                  -the value or p/n of the thermistor
                  -the MOSFET's that were bad on his (locations)
                  -what mains cap to use

Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Odd that KC hasn't responded to your PM, ran?

You need the following info, correct?
                    -the value or p/n of the thermistor
                    -the MOSFET's that were bad on his (locations)
                    -what mains cap to useToast
                    Yah.

I found these main cap replacements @ Digikey:
                    P13263-ND
                    P14094-ND
                    P14093-ND
                    493-2839-ND
                    P13262-ND

No idea on the resistor, and need to check my mosfets again...
                    ---

Comment

What is the mains cap in there now?

Make/series/values/dimensions ?

Thermistor - Since this is a inrush protector and not really meant to act as a fuse (as it did in your case) I've chosen this one to replace yours -
                      http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=570-1046-ND

It's rated at 10 amps and will be more than sufficient to handle that PSU, provided you do not "over fuse" it. I chose this model from checking units I have here and giving a little "wiggle room" to the values. I would have gone with a 9 amp version, but Digi-Key (a) min. qty. 180 & doesn't stock it or (b) is $7.10 each.

Is the 8 amp fuse you used the correct value?

Toast
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Any word?
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Any word?
                          Hi Toasty,

Sorry, busy-ness comes and goes. Haven't looked at it since, but a PM from kd suggested he was "in the process" but it was "low priority" since he has corporate customers to take care of...

I'll just wait until he gets time to send me the info about parts and from where and such....
                          ---

Comment

and i will post it here rather tham pm....

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                              and i will post it here rather tham pm....
                              Heh, thanks kc, I appreciate it!
                              ---

Comment

@ran -

Any word yet?

Toast
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

@ran -

Any word yet?

Toast
                                  Not yet...still waiting for kc's info on where to get the components and such........................
                                  ---

Comment

Just thought I'd make a quick bump here, in case KC has had a chance to work out that info for this mirror mac PS I've still got open and sitting to the side gathering dust....
                                    ---

Comment

Likely the 2 main MOSFET's:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/101...stw20nm50.html

Have to pull the big "T" heatsink next to the burn area with the 7 components attached and check them all out.
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

I am trying to acquire one of the Samsung's off of Ebay -cheaply- to have a poke at this myself. I did get one, but it's an AcBel unit. I got it working and now have to order up the replacement parts.

Any progress on getting apart or testing?

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Got the unit and have it disassembled. Similar problem. Blown fuse (actually MISSING - somebody's been here... ), OPEN mains cap (CapXon), shorted switcher FET. Generally caps check o...k..., but I'm recapping anyway.

Toast
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X