X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with dead Commodore 1802

Originally posted by R_J View Post
    Check if ic801 is shorted, pins 3 to 4
    I think your right RJ, there is a dead short for sure. I also have a new STR54041 here as well we can use.

Edit: Just removed it and when removed it doesn't show a short
    Last edited by roadrash; 02-01-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

made a few more checks and it turns out that pin 3 on the IC has continuity with the metal backing of the IC. Also pin 4 on the PCB has continuity with the heatsink the IC is bolted to.
      So if there was contact between the back of the IC and the heatsink it would cause a short between pins 3 & 4. I cant see how that can happen as there is a bit Mica between the IC & heatsink. But still its a thought.

Comment

Continuity could mean anything, What is the resistance?, Look at the schematic... Between ic801 pin4 and ground there is a 2watt "continuity". If IC801 pin 3 is shorted to ground what do you think that is going to do with 330vdc on C802? The mica insulator is likely damaged and the ic could be damaged by now.

Comment

Continuity could mean anything, What is the resistance?, Look at the schematic... Between ic801 pin4 and ground there is a 2watt "continuity". If IC801 pin 3 is shorted to ground what do you think that is going to do with 330vdc on C802? The mica insulator is likely damaged and the ic could be damaged by now.

Thanks for your patience with this RJ. I meant in saying continuity that there was no resistance. Sorry if I miss desrcribed that. I thought that continuity meant a perfect conection with no resistance. The Mica piece looks fine. It was coated each side with heat sink paste. Other than that I couldnt see anything. Tomorrow I will put that new IC in and check it for a short before testing it. Should I apply heat sink paste to both sides of the mica again?.

Comment

Between ic801, pin4 and ground there is a 0.27Ω resistor. so it will check close to a short.
            Well if the mica was'nt damaged what was causing the short. It would be a good idea to identify what caused the short. Check if the ic itself is shorted between pins 3 & 4. If you just replace it you won't know what is causing the problem.
            The pin 3 is connected to the metal on the back of the ic, that is why you need the mica insulator.

If you don't apply heatsink paste to the mica, the ic will run hot, The paste is to help conduct the heat from the ic to the heatsink.
            Last edited by R_J; 02-01-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Looks like good news l as when i powered it on after putting the IC back in carefully and making sure of no short or too much heatsink paste squeezing out and getting over other things, it powered up properly I believe because it its making a sound like its powered up and I can hear a hissing from the audio stage which i think was the only thing not isolated after removing that inductor and replacing it with a bulb.
              there is 240v at filter cap and output of L802 is flickering between 9 & 12v DC but psu is not completely stable which is why its fluctuating using the bulb instead of the resistor. Even though the bulb is flickering its outputting voltage because I can definitely hear a sound coming from the speakers.
              What should I try now?
              Last edited by roadrash; 02-03-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

L802 is the inductor before the resistor. It will have AC NOT DC voltage. If you have 240vdc on C803. that is close to what it should be
                Do you have one bulb or two in place of the resistor? if only one try a second one in parallel. I suspect everything is working, so make sure everything in the secondary is connected as it should be, Then Check the voltages (DC VOLTAGES) on C812 (121VDC) and C814 (12VDC)
                If those voltages are close, then remove the lamps and replace it with a jumper wire for now. If the monitor works, then replace the jumper wire with the proper resistor.
                C806 & C825 when tested give the following results:

C806: c=233nf vloss=1.5% ESR=1.6 ohms
                C825 c=12.25uf vloss=0.7% ESR= 3.0 ohms.
                Did you recheck these caps, and compare the values to the new ones? I will bet that C806 was the problem.
                Last edited by R_J; 02-03-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

L802 is the inductor before the resistor. It will have AC NOT DC voltage. If you have 240vdc on C803. that is close to what it should be
                  Do you have one bulb or two in place of the resistor? if only one try a second one in parallel. I suspect everything is working, so make sure everything in the secondary is connected as it should be, Then Check the voltages (DC VOLTAGES) on C812 (121VDC) and C814 (12VDC)
                  If those voltages are close, then remove the lamps and replace it with a jumper wire for now. If the monitor works, then replace the jumper wire with the proper resistor.

Did you recheck these caps, and compare the values to the new ones? I will bet that C806 was the problem.
                  Thanks for the info, I fitted a different 60w halogen bulb i got the other day and it almost starts the PSU without another bulb. But If I add another with this one it wont start up. its certainly starting the PSU in as much as its powering up the audio section definitely.
                  C812=121VDC and C814=9.9VDC So its not far off.
                  I did try bridging across the R801 resistor but I was a little cautious about what gauge of wire to use so as not to do any other damage somewhere else if there is still a short.
                  So I used a single strand of copper from a small twisted wire and when I plugged the monitor in it went crack! and blew it up. So either its still shorting or it might be the wire I used couldn't handle the current. What thickness of wire should I use?
                  Iv'e tested it since then and it is still working ok so no harm done by that.

Comment

If the wire is too thin it won't work, If the monitor still had a power supply problem you would not be getting the 121 volts for the monitor.
                    I suspect the original problem was a bad C806, then when you changed ic801 you caused the short that blew the resistor. If you install a wire in place of the resistor and there is a problem, the 4 amp fuse should blow.

Comment

If the wire is too thin it won't work, If the monitor still had a power supply problem you would not be getting the 121 volts for the monitor.
                      I suspect the original problem was a bad C806, then when you changed ic801 you caused the short that blew the resistor. If you install a wire in place of the resistor and there is a problem, the 4 amp fuse should blow.
                      Sorry in delay ive been ill. I plugged it in with resistor bridged as you said and it popped a 5a fuse straight away.

Comment

I fitted a different 60w halogen bulb i got the other day and it almost starts the PSU without another bulb. But If I add another with this one it wont start up. its certainly starting the PSU in as much as its powering up the audio section definitely.
                        C812=121VDC and C814=9.9VDC So its not far off.
                        I would get it back to where this is working. I don't know how you have things connected so I will assume you have the bulb in place of R801, correct?
                        You were getting 121 volts on C812, Were you getting 121v all the way to the deflection circuit and Q402 collector? or just to the lamp across C812?
                        FROM post52: Ive removed L805 and connected the bulb across C812.
                        Last edited by R_J; 02-09-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Just been waiting for some 4A fuses to come as i only had 2A fuses left.

I would get it back to where this is working. I don't know how you have things connected so I will assume you have the bulb in place of R801, correct?
                          Yes its back to the same as when it was working but its not now of course

You were getting 121 volts on C812, Were you getting 121v all the way to the deflection circuit and Q402 collector?

Not sure and anyway I cant find Q402 in the PSU area where its it connected too?
                          or just to the lamp across C812?
                          Bulb across R801 is lit up but the monitor seems dead again and no hissing from audio like we had. Putting that bit of wire across R801 blew something else other than the fuse I bet.

Comment

So what is the voltage across C803?
                            Check if there is a short between pin 3 and 4 of ic801
                            Check if Q806 or Q805 are ok and not shorted
                            Something was not working properly or the wire across would not have been an issue.
                            Check that IC801 is not shorted to the heatsink again.

Comment

Thank you RJ, Luckinly now I am back to full health again (well apart from having MS) woopee!

No nothing

Check if there is a short between pin 3 and 4 of ic801
                              No short

Check if Q806 or Q805 are ok and not shorted
                              I removed these two yesterday and checked them with my component tester which recognised them and said no problems.

I was afraid this might happen with a thick jumper and that's why I used a small thin wire the first time but I guess that thin it probably would have blown just under current draw through it.
                              Thanks again for all this RJ.

Comment

Ive removed IC801 to be sure and there is no short.

There is a resistance between the pads 3 & 4 of IC801 that changes value like its connected to a cap or something which the Schematic seems to suggest and I think you mentioned before 27 ohm.
                                am I right? could this short we are looking for be in this area?
                                Last edited by roadrash; 02-19-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I have got it back to where we were now and i have the psu working and audio section now working again.
                                  I replaced the IC801 and now its back working and i have a display now look.

What now?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Good to see it's working. Feed it some signal and see what it looks like, One capacitor I have changed a lot is tv's and monitors it the drive transformer filter cap. C430 (1µf/160v) If you have one I would replace it.

Comment

you should check the B+ voltage and compare it to the manual - it can be ajusted.
                                      it's DC btw.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        you should check the B+ voltage and compare it to the manual - it can be ajusted.
                                        it's DC btw.
                                        The voltage is regulated by ic801 but there is no adjustment, I agree on checking that the 121vdc is ok across C813

Comment

I still have the light bulb in place of the resistor and I still have that other bulb in place of the indictor which was done to isolate the psu from everything else except audio so I dont get it how is the screen powering up?

Comment

Working...
                                          X