Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolermaster RS-550-ACLY "working" w/clicking sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolermaster RS-550-ACLY "working" w/clicking sound.

PSU has been running perfect for like 5 years then today when i turned ON my PC it started to make this clicking noise, i quickly push the PSU switch to OFF position as i don't want to put components at risk, it sounded (to me) like a small electric arc so i pulled PSU out of the case to check what happened.

I opened the PSU and turned it on, the clicking starts immediately, and it's coming from or near the "Transformer" labeled API 21639, i tried to record the sound with my cellphone but don't know why the clicking is inaudible in the recording, i'll try later with a camera, already checked 3.3v, 5v and 12v outputs all of them get correct readings in multimeter, i put some light load on PSU by ataching and old PIII motherboard, CPU and RAM, readings stayed the same, i carefully inspected the unit looking for signs of arcing in the area from where the noise comes but everything seems to be ok, so i darken the room as much as i could and turned it on again to see if there was a visible "arc" but i didn't see anything even with the PCB topside down.

The trasnformer-like must be a PFC coil because there is just one winding and this PSU it's suposedly an Active PFC unit, i ended up removing the PFC coil and all componentes near to it: two film capacitors, the bridge rectifier, primary capacitors and the primary heatsink along with all the "transistors" atached to it, inspected them but no visible signs of spark, burn or arcing were seen.

I removed the "ground shield"?? (i mean the thin copper sheet around the winding conected to ground in PCB) from the PFC coil but again there where no signs that the winding was arcing to the ground shield.

So i was forced to do a fast recap to this PSU and put it into my PC recap was done using recycled Sanyo, Rubycon,Chemicon and Panasonic units ...I've unplugged 2 of my 3 HDDs, DVD-RW and pulled out my VGA card to use the IGP to minimize the load ...now that i think about it i'm not sure if it is safer to use K-Mex crap or to put back the coolermaster unit even with that noise.

Oh by the way it turned out that the coolermaster PSU is really an AC-Bel ATX-400C-A2SNN PSU rated at 400W!! (see last image) i'm not sure if all the "silicons" are the same but the rest of the components sure are) i get the schematic so if needed i could upload it.

I don't know where it comes or what's causing the clicking noise, so any help, ideas, suggestions or advices are welcome and really apreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Coolermaster RS-550-ACLY "working" w/clicking sound.

Is it sharp or dull clicking?

Comment

hi b700029, it's more like a dull clicking, i will solder back all components to record the sound and upload it.

Comment

Here's the clicking sound in mp3 format, you may need to turn up the volume.

I've just measure the voltage across primary capacitors and it shows a fluctuation each time the clicking occurs, it goes down from 405V to 360V.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SIDMX; 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: adding info.

Comment

I haven't had the time to put my hands in this psu and since i already get a psu to replace this one i think I'll leave it for later.

Comment

Did you ever find out what was wrong with this PSU?

My Enermax Liberty 400 just started making a clicking noise, and the PC was still running without any apparent problem - (Of course, I have stopped using it though!)

I also thought it might be some kind of arcing, but haven't noticed anything.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
              Did you ever find out what was wrong with this PSU?

My Enermax Liberty 400 just started making a clicking noise, and the PC was still running without any apparent problem - (Of course, I have stopped using it though!)

I also thought it might be some kind of arcing, but haven't noticed anything.
              Check the diode in the pfc circuit.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                Thanks, I have started a new thread here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...883#post250883 so it's not buried in the bottom of this one.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  Did you ever find out what was wrong with this PSU?...
                  Sorry but I never found the cause of the clicking, this PSU is still waiting for repair and recap.

Thank you! I'will try it as soon as I get a replacement diode.

Comment

Originally posted by SIDMX View Post
                    Sorry but I never found the cause of the clicking, this PSU is still waiting for repair and recap.

Thank you! I'will try it as soon as I get a replacement diode.
                    Um, Im not saying the diode is at fault, Im saying it could be faulty. If you replace it, and say it was OK, then you have just wasted your time, getting nowhere towards your goal of fixing the PSU.
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Um, Im not saying the diode is at fault, Im saying it could be faulty. If you replace it, and say it was OK, then you have just wasted your time, getting nowhere towards your goal of fixing the PSU.
                      Thanks again ben7, but it was my bad, i just replied in a hurry and omitted some things in my post.

Most components of this PSU are desoldered and stored in a box so when a read your post about the diode I went to the box and check the diode, the reading on my DMM is high resistance in both polarities so i think it's damaged, that's why I said that.

Comment

Thanks again ben7, but it was my bad, i just replied in a hurry and omitted some things in my post.

Most components of this PSU are desoldered and stored in a box so when a read your post about the diode I went to the box and check the diode, the reading on my DMM is high resistance in both polarities so i think it's damaged, that's why I said that.
                        Set your dmm to diode check mode. Measuring the resistance doesn't always work to find an open-circuit diode. The meter has to put around 0.7v through the diode to get it to conduct (if its working normally).
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Oh by the way it turned out that the coolermaster PSU is really an AC-Bel ATX-400C-A2SNN PSU rated at 400W!! (see last image) i'm not sure if all the "silicons" are the same but the rest of the components sure are) i get the schematic so if needed i could upload it.
                          I know that this is old post but i will appreciate if you upload schematic for me. Tnx

Comment

No problem, here you are.
                            Attached Files

Comment

TNX again

Comment

SIDMX do you still have this PSU ? my wife accidentally threw some parts and i cant find the symbols from this parts. I need the symbols of primary, which are attached on heatsink. first two are toshiba k2698 but i dont know the third part on the same heatsink side(it should be an diode), and all three parts from the other heatsink side . TNX
                                Last edited by biber; 02-23-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biber View Post
                                  SIDMX do you still have this PSU ?
                                  Yes I do, the third one next to the toshiba transistors is D27 = HFA08TB60 it's the PFC diode, on the backside of the heatsink the lone transistor is Q6 = FQPF2N70 this is the 5VSB transistor and the rest are Q3,Q10 = 20N60C3 the PFC MOSFETs.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

SIDMX TNX TNX TNX, finally i repaired this psu and is working perfectly

Comment

Working...
                                    X