Xtreme Gear PSAZ-600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xtreme Gear PSAZ-600

Pretty sure Linkworld is the OEM to this thing. Looks okay. The lacking input filter is disturbing though.

Not pictured is the 30A for 5V, 20A schottky for 12V, 30A for 3.3V.

Soldering is pretty bad in spots. The fan spins very slow, it is nice and silent. This thing has a huge assortment of cables for a cheap unit. All wiring is 18AWG except 16AWG for CPU power and 20AWG for PCI-e 6+2

Manufactured: November 15, 2011
    Attached Files

Re: Xtreme Gear PSAZ-600

20a Schottky on 12v and one 6+2, yeah nice one linkworld
    Loved that 20 awg there too

Comment

With those heatsinks and O/P inductor? 200W-250W. 470uF I/P lytics are consistent with that, too. GP ceramic disc caps used as Y-caps.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Yeah I'd call it a 275W PSU. I don't know why they even bother with the ceramic discs. If you're going to make crap, just leave it completely empty

Comment

P4, where do you find all this PSUs?

Comment

I'm kind of like everell, in the fact that I hoard ATX power supplies because I have an obsession I have been in the computer repair business for a while and it is easy to acquire them from recycled machines. I don't post regular stuff like Bestec ATX-300-12Z because everyone has seen one a million times

Comment

if you walk through housing estates or industrial parks, you often find computers etc dumped at the side of the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                ...30A for 5V, 20A schottky for 12V, 30A for 3.3V. ...16AWG for CPU power and 20AWG for PCI-e 6+2 ...Manufactured: November 15, 2011
                Hmm so old design refited to "modern" requirements? ...interesting, definetly usable if recaped and the EMI/Input section gets properly populated, too bad it's a 5V heavy design but if it can do at least 230W then is enough for most applcations on a modern computer, does it really have shunts to separate the two 12V rails?? pics don't show, well even if it is a single rail design it's probably the best Linkworld i've seen compared to the ones i'm used to see here in MX.

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                P4, where do you find all this PSUs?
                IDK but he must be on a quest to recap every single PSU in the USA ...I know someone who even tried to import them from brazil

Comment

I think a 30a schottky for 12v rail and it would be usable for a new PC if it doesn't crossload because of the light 5v usage
                  There is some place that throw away a lot of cases and PSUs but it's an extremely dangerous zone so I don't go there too often, except for solder that it's really cheap and good quality over there
                  Last edited by Drack; 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SIDMX View Post
                    IDK but he must be on a quest to recap every single PSU in the USA ...I know someone who even tried to import them from brazil
                    He must indeed lol
                    I have an obsession for repairing anything I can too, but you won by a lot p4
                    Es raro conseguir a un latino por acá sidmx
                    Last edited by Drack; 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

... but you won by a lot p4
                      +1

30A schottky for 12V? ...mmm don't think it needs more than 20A, would bet the protection kicks in before you reach 20A in 12V rail.

Comment

Last edited by Drack; 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM. Reason: Phone posted twice

Comment

Yep, but remember that pushing a 20a part to 20a would be stressing that rectifier, they have looses (close to 30% or something like that I read it on hardware secrets) so more than 14a would be asking too much, maybe it will be OK but I don't like to push things to the limit

Comment

The thing is 20A in 12V Rail will not happen that's not the 12V rating in a sub 300W PSU

Comment

He must indeed lol
                              I have an obsession for repairing anything I can too, but you won by a lot p4
                              Es raro conseguir a un latino por acá sidmx
                              No, everell wins. But yes, I do have a large amount of PSUs

Whether you're going to use 20A or not, the 30A rectifier would just be used for higher efficiency. I don't think I would waste a 30A rectifier on this thing though. It's powerful enough to power a HTPC. This thing is seriously so silent that it would be great for that application.

Comment

...It's powerful enough to power a HTPC. This thing is seriously so silent that it would be great for that application.
                                Powerfull enough for even something a little bit more demanding I would say, so you recaped this? does it have two 12V rails or is it a single rail design?

Comment

Powerfull enough for even something a little bit more demanding I would say, so you recaped this? does it have two 12V rails or is it a single rail design?
                                  Yeah. I really love silent PSUs for HTPC though Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I haven't touched it yet, I just desoldered the AC wires to take pictures, and it is just a single 12V rail with no shunts.

Comment

First of all, SIDMX, I'm an idiot! I was looking at a different PSU. This one does have two 12V rails with shunts!

I added an input filter and recapped it. I also replaced all of the 47 ohm resistors on the rails for 200 ohm. However, I think I did something wrong because the PSU just ticks the fan upon hitting power now.

I know it has nothing to do with the input, because after adding the input filter and permanent 115V wiring, I tested it and saw that it powered up and was running. So it has to do with something I did while replacing caps and resistors. Couldn't be the resistor change, could it?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

It may be the resistor change, try to put some load in 5V and 12V rails, if that fails and you're absolutely sure that there is no solder bridge, then put original resistors and try again, also re-check caps polarity.

That's what i do when it happens to me

First of all, SIDMX, I'm an idiot! I was looking at a different PSU. This one does have two 12V rails with shunts!
                                      so maybe i'm guessing it's wattage wrong, but then again it's no purpose to put a 20A rectifier in a 2 rail psu, are sure it only uses one 20A rectifier?
                                      Last edited by SIDMX; 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

You were right! I hooked it up to a system and it powered up no problem. It just didn't have enough load with just a paperclip. Since the fan spins so slow, I'm glad I changed out the resistors. They will be putting out a lot less heat and increase the efficiency a little. Yes it indeed only has that one 20A schottky for 12V.

Comment

Working...
                                        X