Psuedo-4K LCD panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psuedo-4K LCD panels

I have come across (and was burned by at least one) so called "4K" (claiming 3840 * 2160) LCD panels which have an actual resolution of Full HD (1920 * 1080) meaning that every second pixel in either direction is skipped.
    For panels 19 inches (used in notebooks and tablets) and smaller with an Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) interface, do you know of any "4K" panels fitting into this category which do not have actual 4K resolution and the ones which have actual 4K resolution?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Psuedo-4K LCD panels

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
    I have come across (and was burned by at least one) so called "4K" (claiming 3840 * 2160) LCD panels which have an actual resolution of Full HD (1920 * 1080) meaning that every second pixel in either direction is skipped.
    For panels 19 inches (used in notebooks and tablets) and smaller with an Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) interface, do you know of any "4K" panels fitting into this category which do not have actual 4K resolution and the ones which have actual 4K resolution?
    How can you tell it's a fake 4K LCD panel?
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      How can you tell it's a fake 4K LCD panel?
      You could make a test image with checkboarded pixels. If the panel is fake, it would only render 1 color, not both.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
        I have come across (and was burned by at least one) so called "4K"
        "pseudo-4K" to me, are LCD-RGBWs! I think the non-totally-fake ones, are true 2K, or at least higher than 1920x1080.

Will the LCDs with RGBW be a fad like the dreaded AMR slots of the early-2000s?
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-03-2021, 01:11 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Even amoled TVs have the RGBW arrangement and just about all amoled phones use the pentile arrangement, I still think despite only 800x480 res or whatever it was my old Galaxy SII had the best looking amoled as it was RGB stripe.
          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            You could make a test image with checkboarded pixels. If the panel is fake, it would only render 1 color, not both.
            +1

I have made myself a set of these for every resolution from 640x480 up to 2k HD.
            On LCDs, it's indeed great for testing for "fake resolutions".
            And on CRTs, it's great for adjusting focus and moire cancellation.

Comment

Here is a test pattern to tell if a 4K panel has actual 4K resolution:
              Attached Files
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                Even amoled TVs have the RGBW arrangement and just about all amoled phones use the pentile arrangement, I still think despite only 800x480 res or whatever it was my old Galaxy SII had the best looking amoled as it was RGB stripe.
                RGB, even with a W pixel together, on OLED, didn't appear to have negative effects.

IIRC, it's RGBW on LCDs that you need to worry about!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                X