Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel SDE AVX and SSE4.2 patch

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
    I found this looking around at which LGA775 have SSE4 and which ones don't.
    It seems Intel has a patch to add these to any x64 CPU including AMD. It even spoofs the CPUID to show the change. Intel SDE.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-emulator.html
    I got some ffedback on this from a user at OCN. He says it's not good for real time apps like gaming.AMD guys at Steam say it's OK...........

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Worry not old buddy, my scope of TV is even narrower than yours....but the show in reference above is 'Night Court'; this episode: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0660706/?ref_=ttep_ep16

This is the only sitcom I ever liked....and know it by heart. Of the core cast, only 2 are still alive.
      Ah yes, didn't Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) make an appearance in an episode?
      Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
      I don't bother with 1156. I go for the LGA1366 with 3 channel RAM. The Nehalem based Xeons were called Bloomfield. Whole Dell T3500 are typically $80. I've actually picked them up for as little as $20, 3x Optiplex XE and a T3500 for $80. When I pointed out that the RAM shroud was missing, and it was part of the cooling he sold it to me for scrap value.
      Ah, so that's the T3500... I was thinking of the T3400.

What about those China special X79 2011/1356 boards? They're nowhere near as good as the T3500 which is properly engineered and put together, but they're standard ATX. Wouldn't trust the polymer caps they use on those things though.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        Ah yes, didn't Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) make an appearance in an episode?
        He actually had a reoccurring role, and was absolutely hilarious! He played a trailer park hick that kept landing in court arrested on silly charges..
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I may be responsible for the T3400- T3500 confusion. I own a couple T3500 (as shown) But I'm actually working my way up to a T3400/XPS420 project when I get through maxxing out my Optiplex 380. 266/333fsb tapemods for the Opti 380, and 400fsb on tape for the X38 Mid Towers. The Optiplex XE is lurking in the background of all this too. The T3400 and T3500 can be overclocked with Throttlestop software and unlocked CPUs already.
          The T3600 with AVX support is ripe for it but hasn't been tried yet.
          None of my stuff is ATX. I just buy whole Dells and go form there.
          Last edited by Retrorockit; 01-26-2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            What about those China special X79 2011/1356 boards? They're nowhere near as good as the T3500 which is properly engineered and put together, but they're standard ATX. Wouldn't trust the polymer caps they use on those things though.
            They suck. Topcat has a dead one I obtained as part of a dead gaming rig part-out I bought. Kid ran Fortnite on it for a year before it blew up and fried... and his mom sold me the remains to help fund a PS5 purchase.

Funny enough the GPU out of it didn't last either... and it was (as far as I could tell) a genuine EVGA 1060 (which, along with the SSD, is why I bought the thing); my dad got about 6 months out of it before it too went poof. The PSU was an OCZ... full of Capxon GF super skinny caps but was in good order at the time, so I doubt the PSU killed either. The RAM was also off-brand but also working per Topcat's word to me.
            Last edited by ratdude747; 01-30-2022, 08:03 AM.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Has anyone successfully made this work>? I've got a M6400 with a Q9300 I'd love to squeak a little more out of....but SSE4.2 will be needed to do so.... As per Intel's usual, the instructions may as well be written in Japanese....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Just a bit of an update....While I never got this to work, the reason I wanted it to work has been remedied by the powers that be that took over Waterfox. Some corporation got their mitts on Waterfox, and everything from "gen4" required SSE4.2, which I thought was beyond asinine since Firefox/mozilla itself doesn't even require this; nor any browser that I'm aware of does either..... I guess enough people bitched & complained; and perhaps the already struggling Waterfox/Mozilla platform realized that losing a big chunk of what's left of their marketshare was probably not a good idea....in their infinite wisdom they decided to step it back a notch to only requiring SSE4.1 starting with "Gen4 v4.10"....which brings it back to functioning on the C2D/C2Q platform....and now my M6400 will live on running Waterfox! Honestly, there's no way I'd have dumped a Quad core M6400 w/16gb RAM over something as petty as a browser, I'd have just switched to something else....but I thought that requiring SSE4.2 was a really bonehead play by Waterfox....as the penryn/conroe/kentsfield/yorkfield/harpertown platforms are still very capable; even by modern standards.....but it wasn't without some politically correct bullshit being sneaked in there, as whatever references (not even sure where this would apply); they will no longer acknowledge gender.... How fucking stupid....

References to 'his' and 'her' have been replaced with 'their' where relevant.
                https://www.waterfox.net/docs/releas...n=about-dialog

...but if anyone actually manages to get this to run, feel free to add to this thread... From what I've read, SSE4.2 is more commonly needed for some newer games to work.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Had a similar issue recently but on Linux. Wanted to load some Python library that was compiled with AVX2 and other Haswell optimizations on a 45nm Core 2 (Precision T7400). Tried to recompile it without AVX and failed (because no one is dumb enough to try to use that stuff on a 14 years old CPU), and didn't realize at first that the real problem was with BMI2 and not AVX, and I just had to remove the `-march=haswell` from the CFLAGS and recompile…

Anyway, tried to load it through Intel SDE (basically just prepending `sde --` to the command line), and while it did work, it was insanely slow. Approximately 2 minutes to load the library vs. a handful of seconds without (when recompiled without Haswell optimizations).
                  Intel SDE did point me to the actual opcode that was causing problems though, which helped in realizing my mistake that it was not AVX but BMI2.
                  Last edited by piernov; 04-07-2022, 09:34 AM.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                  X