• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone!

Comment

Newbie from Michigan

My name is Tyler, I'm a proud father of two little girls. In my early 20's. I have my automotive certification. I have been working on computers doing the basics OS instal's, PSU replacemnets, case mods, CPU and RAM upgrade...full builds...etc. But I havent really done anything on a compentent level outside of charging ports on laptops.
      Joined up because I found this site while going search crazy to fix a LCD and was very impressed with the wealth of knowledge here. I will surely use this site and pick smarter folk's brains. lol Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

Peta, ofcourse some advertising would always be helpful to making this a success.... This forum has existed since October 6th 2003, online the first time at about 9:00PM CST. Being a couple days old, atleast there's traffic...

I don't know if this forum will be a huge success or not, I created it out of requests from viewers, so we'll see how many actually join... If it takes off, I'll be tickled pink!! If it flops, I'll simply remove it.

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1991, with experience ranging from TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1994, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Before the VP6 was around, Abit's poster child was the BP6, dual celeron board... Being one of the pioneers to run dual Coppermines in my BP6 was quite a thrill... Then came the VP6, and the dreaded crap cap problem... Thus was born PROJECT:VP6, which is over a year old... It can be viewed at www.kabalsrealm.com/systems/projects/vp6/. That single article ultimately led to badcaps.net and this forum... I was shocked at the publicity it drew...

A little inside info?!?
        Well, age?! I'll say late 20's and that's close enough... I enjoy dealing with the computers, all of this is just a hobby these days, so if it did flop, it's no loss... I'm also a car nut... (300ZX!!!)... I also enjoy flying immencely, although, no I don't own an airplane... YET!!! Maybe if I sell off all this computer junk, I could afford one... HEH I own 3 domain names, and host sites for a few friends on this array... Of course they pay me nothing... HMMM Ohh well... Money isn't all... That's about all I think needs to be revealed... If there's something you really need to know about me, ask... The answer all depends on the question you asked...

Anyhow,
        Peta, and everyone else that has joined, Welcome to the forums!! Bring some friends with ya!! :roll:
        Hello to everyone and thank you "TOPCAT" for accepting me in this forum. I'm glad to have you guys around and as a new member its been my great honor to learn more from you. I'm from Manila, The Philippines and also an electronics guy as most of you here. Got my degree in electronics and communications engineering with another degree in mechanical engineering. I am a hobbyist and can fix my own stuff most of the time. Hope to share my skills and experience with everyone. Though I'm fulltime employed in a manufacturing firm for plastics and packaging industry now, I started my experience with semiconductors way back 1986-2000. Then got more deeper experience with industrial lasers for automotive, semicon and medical industries. I'm sure I will find more time looking into this forum and I hope its not too late for me to read the previous threads and topics so here's hoping for your kind patience and understanding as your newest member. Cheers to everyone and Mabuhay!!! from the Philippines.

Comment

Hey everyone lamebrain here just wanted to say hello and say thanks for letting in here to learn all I can since I have no official training of any sort. I joined here to learn how to go about fixing a Dell W1700 LCD TV/Monitor that the back lights have gone. Any suggestions regarding will be helpful. Thanks again for letting me listen in on all the professional suggestions.

Comment

Hi,

From Montreal, Quebec. Got a monitor that died on me and wondering if I could fix it, which is how I found this place.

Complete newbie at this, though I did manage to change a burned part from my salt system board this summer!

Comment

Hey guys / gals. New kid on the block here. A little bio, I studied electrical engineering back in the 80's until I switched my major over to bar attending and womanoligy. When that didn't pay the bills, I gravitated to my more natural skill of mechanic. With an ever dwindling economy, and (hopefully) retirement about 13 years away, I thought I'd better start something else up to keep me in the luxuries that I'm accustomed to (lights, water, food, ect..) so I've started some tV an component repair. Just tinkering and learning for now, but you gotta start sometime. Anyway, here I am. Be patient....

Comment

Saying Hello as per the rules

I'm interested in electronics and love just tinkering with things. I especially like to fix things if possible instead of just tossing out perfectly good units that may have a couple bad components. I've actually been perusing this board for a year or so, just never got around to signing up. Figuring out the differences in capacitors and how it affects different circuits has been a bit of work, but I'm getting there. Hopefully I can buy an inexpensive esr meter for my hobby.

Comment

Hello from New Zealand

Comment

Hello from amsterdam!

Comment

Hello from Keith in Canada. I am working on a Acp RS 800. I paid $15.00 for it and once I got home opened the battery area. The batts are partially melted. Anyways, after some struggle I opened the casing ans noticed one Mosfet cracked open. If anyone has specs etc for this box it would be appreciated.
                      I did check a link found in one post but did not find this unit there as described.

Thanks Keith

Comment

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm 27 from Lithuania. At the moment i live in United Kingdom. I have been repairing computer for a long time since 1999. Mostly software and hardware related problems. Also i have some experence in programing with php, SQL databases.
                        At the moment i have started learning more about electronics so i think its a good place to get some advices and find information. Electronics is like a hobby now but hopefully i can level it up and use it more often to fix some computer hardware.

Comment

Hello every body. My name is Hamed. I live in the South East Kent, United Kingdom. i have picked up a few LCD monitors that i want to fix and in the process learn some electronics as a hoby.

Comment

Hi, found you looking for a laptop fault, this looks just like the site I need to help me with my electronics hobby.
                            Thanks
                            pete.

Comment

Hi
                              I am Michael a bit old but in Electronics for 53 years. I am retired from the Sony Corp. was there for 12 years. I hold vocational degrees in Computer Programming, Electronic Technology and network Admin. I al also certified by EPA for small appliances and MVAC. I was reading about the Dell monitor.

Comment

Hello,
                                Geester22 here... I want to say hello and describe myself a bit. I have been in the telecom industry for 20+ years now and have seen a lot of changes. I have been a part of and seen the good and bad of the industry (dot com busts, re-orgs, and up-staffing situations) along the way. I don't have a formal degree, but I have attended 3+ years of college in various programs and have been involved in various aspects of electrical engineering. I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I just want to describe my experience and exposure. I joined this website to gain some knowledge and perhaps impart something useful as well.

I look forward to participating...

Comment

Hi all, I'm from England, I'm an IT consultant, and I've always had an interest in electronics; but only relatively recently moved into repairing dud items for both sell-on and personal use. Look forward to learning more and more "on the job" with the advice and knowledge in here.

Comment

Hey everyone, just joined the forum! And it looks like a great one. I have been really into researching power supplies for the last 5 months and have a big interest in Capacitors and i'm doing my best to learn all I can about them!

Comment

Hi all, I'm just joining the forum. I'm from Vancouver, BC. We have a recycling bin on our office building premises where other companies dump broken LCD monitors that I have been "rescuing". So far I have been able to fix about half of them by replacing leaking caps.

Comment

I just want to let you guys know you are doing a great job with this forum! I've been a VBulletin moderator in the past and I know how much work goes on behind the scenes chasing spammers and settling problems.

I like to recycle older electronics and found a few answers here I was looking for by Googling. I decided to register so I could ask more and maybe answer a few. I'm glad you don't purge your archives like some forums do!

I'm an electrical engineer in Houston TX with my own business troubleshooting industrial automation, but I like to tinker with just about anything. My dad was a TV repairman and I have been into electronics since about the age of 3. I won't say exactly how old I am but they taught us to use a slide rule when I was in high school.

Anyway, thanks for providing a great forum!

Comment

Hey guys! I'm a n00b to the forums and I finally joined after replacing caps on everything from my 47'' rear projection tv to many mobos and lcd boards. I love the site and the fact that I can order what I need in the same place... (that is when my account is verified.) I hope that with the help of this forum and my ADHD taking things apart skills I can fix anything... as I already try to. Thanks badcaps for giving me the confidence to continue!

Comment

Working...
                                          X