Luxman R-117 intermittent power up and receptacles + PA stuck on repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luxman R-117 intermittent power up and receptacles + PA stuck on repair

So I've got a request to pretty please repair this PA. Well... I plugged the unit in pressed power button and nothing. It just played dead, no display or anything. Gave it a good whack and low and behold it powered up and worked good for the time being. Turned the unit off, the display went off, but the PA itself stayed on, same as the switched 120V receptacles in the back. Gave it another whack and it turned off as it supposed to. Umm... I guess it likes to be spanked a lot? Unplugged the unit for a minute and same thing: wash, rinse repeat.

The repair:

The first problem not wanting to turn on, was on the CPU Board. Bad C329 6.3V 2200uF cap (replaced it with Rubycon YXG same ratings, the old one had mechanical issues) and a bunch of bad solder joints around the area of IC 309 and D315, "THE brown gue" on a jumper cable on the back, and for some reason I had to take out D315 clean it and reinstall it. Probably the brown gue's fault.

The later problem with not turning off the PA and the receptacles (but the display turns on an off no problem)is a faulty relay RY701 (VS14MB) on the BackUp PSU board. That relay keeps getting stuck. I replaced it with an Omron G2RL-1A-E relay.
    So far so good! Dang! This thing has some very nice audio guys! 160WPC keeps the house rockin all right!
    Attached Files

Re: Luxman R-117 intermittent power up and receptacles + PA stuck on repair

What is the coil voltage rating of " Omron G2RL-1A-E relay" you installed on the BackUP PSU?
    Is it the same rating of relays (24V/16A) used for the speaker A/B in R-117?
    The original RY701 (VS14MB) 14V is impossible to find.
    My 30 year old R-117 has similar issues you mentioned.

Comment

I can’t remember if that is the one that had like 17V on a 14V relay coil or not. Measure the voltage on the relay coil. If it is 17V, put a 24v relay in.

Comment

Forgot to mention, you can over volt the relay coil up to 130%. No more. I other words you could put 15.6v to a 12v coil.

Looking at the schematic, it is the amp with the 14v relay coil that gets energized by 17V. So a 24V relay it is!
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-14-2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

There is also a 22Ω resistor in series with the relay. Most people seem to use a 24v relay in it's place without any issue.

Comment

I didn't replace that 22 ohm resistor. I must have just put a relay with a 24VDC coil in. It will work fine at 17V.

Comment

Working...
            X