Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUDGET 4K graphics cards

Hi Everyone,

I've been out of the PC scene for a while since becoming a photographer, and not very aware of what the latest tech is. Only today I found out that there was many versions of the Core i7 and i5 CPU - I was under the impression Intel didn't make a new CPU since i7 launched in 2011, LOL.

Anyway, I have a computer with a Core i7 46-something. It's a Haswell model says my brother who built it for me. I use it for Adobe Lightroom since I am a photographer, and it works well enough for my needs. I do not plan to upgrade it anytime soon apart from some larger size HDD's and a larger SSD if I have the funds as 120GB SSD is kinda small for my needs.

My question is about the graphics however. I have pretty bad eyes so I would like to purchase a 43" IPS monitor from either Viewsonic or Dell Ultrasharp (Currently I use 3x 21.5" HP ZR2240w IPS displays). These units however are 4K resolution and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 6870 which was passed down to me. It has Displayport and HDMI outputs however I do not think it supports 4K resolutions.

I would like to buy a budget (either new or used under $150 AUD) graphics card that supports these monitors, what brand and model would you guys suggest from either Nvidia or ATI?

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: BUDGET 4K graphics cards

so much irony...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      so much irony...
      Yeah I know it’s a bit of a noob sounding post, but I genuinely do need help with choosing a card, lol.

Priorities a bit off I suppose. 43” display over upgrading vital bits of that computer. But in my defence I do have a friend who will buy the triple monitor setup off me for good money to put towards a new display.
      Last edited by stevo1210; 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

ati is now amd so check if new drivers are at least still available
        I found this https://superuser.com/questions/8945...rted-by-the-tv
        where someone says "the HD 6870 will run 4K (3840 x 2160 ) resolution at 30 Hz which is good for desktop work."
        Last edited by R_J; 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

It took some hunting but I was able to get a Geforce GTX 970 used for $150 (USD) a year or so ago on ebay. It was a spiffy Zotac Chinese-exclusive OC'd one too. Something like that fit the bill?
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            ati is now amd so check if new drivers are at least still available
            I found this https://superuser.com/questions/8945...rted-by-the-tv
            where someone says "the HD 6870 will run 4K (3840 x 2160 ) resolution at 30 Hz which is good for desktop work."
            I would not call 30Hz ok for desktop use, too laggy.
            But apparently it can be gotten up to 45Hz, that might be ok for long term use.
            Source: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/commun...splays.226759/
            Tool: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/T...-Clock-Patcher
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Too laggy for viewing/editing photos?
              Last edited by R_J; 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

If you want it to 'just work', get nVidia...

If you want to spend hours fiddling with weird bugs, finding out about things that don't work properly which fanboys will insist are actually features, then get AMD.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  If you want it to 'just work', get nVidia...

If you want to spend hours fiddling with weird bugs, finding out about things that don't work properly which fanboys will insist are actually features, then get AMD.
                  I have to agree with that. My workhorse machines all run Quadro GPU's, I never have screwy driver issues or other sordid bugs. I lost my love for ATI when AMD gobbled them up....not that ATI was ever known for stellar driver support, but they got worse after the AMD merger....
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I have to agree with that. My workhorse machines all run Quadro GPU's, I never have screwy driver issues or other sordid bugs. I lost my love for ATI when AMD gobbled them up....not that ATI was ever known for stellar driver support, but they got worse after the AMD merger....
                    You're completely right. Before they were swallowed up by AMD, they were the quaint, odd, eccentric company which you dabbled with, sometimes to your delight, and sometimes to your dismay.

Had a customer buy a Quadro P4000 for design software... He specifically said not AMD...
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                      I would not call 30Hz ok for desktop use, too laggy.
                      30Hz is more than enough for still frame video editing.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        Too laggy for viewing/editing photos?
                        Originally posted by brethin View Post
                        30Hz is more than enough for still frame video editing.
                        I don't agree.
                        I switch my monitor to 23.976Hz when I watch movies.
                        That's unbearable in Windows, the mouse cursor even lags visually.
                        30Hz is better but still far too long away from a smooth experience IMO.
                        Your mileage may vary however.
                        I'd just buy the monitor and see, if it's not good enough then just upgrade the graphics card?
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          I'll agree on that. Only 1 of my workstations has ATI, and's that's only because it's an ancient AGP rig (Supermicro X5DAL) with the fastest AGP card ever made (ATI HD4670 by HIS), and that made right before the AMD buyout. Otherwise, I've run Nvidia and never looked back.
                          sigpic

Comment

the issue here may be bandwidth,

VGA could do 4k, but i bet hdmi wont.
                            if your using digital cables you probably need a multi-channel serup.
                            i'v seen these, but never paid any attention to them.

personally i stick with RGB & sync, your not limited to a few pre-selected settings that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              I'll agree on that. Only 1 of my workstations has ATI, and's that's only because it's an ancient AGP rig (Supermicro X5DAL) with the fastest AGP card ever made (ATI HD4670 by HIS), and that made right before the AMD buyout. Otherwise, I've run Nvidia and never looked back.
                              I think the highest 3xxx AGP series card is faster than the 4670.
                              Originally posted by stj View Post
                              the issue here may be bandwidth,

VGA could do 4k, but i bet hdmi wont.
                              if your using digital cables you probably need a multi-channel serup.
                              i'v seen these, but never paid any attention to them.

personally i stick with RGB & sync, your not limited to a few pre-selected settings that way.
                              HDMI, no, but DisplayPort yes.
                              Last edited by mockingbird; 05-18-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                I think the highest 3xxx AGP series card is faster than the 4670.
                                That's debatable... my (potentially incorrect) understanding was that the 4670 was faster, but it took more CPU brunt for it to do things (if the CPU wasn't up to snuff, the card wouldn't perform).

Not a bad card either way though. The only part that sucks is that you have to use the driver from HIS... the generic driver doesn't work, period. Must be something to do with the PCIe to AGP converter chip or something
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                  I don't agree.
                                  I switch my monitor to 23.976Hz when I watch movies.
                                  That's unbearable in Windows, the mouse cursor even lags visually.
                                  30Hz is better but still far too long away from a smooth experience IMO.
                                  Your mileage may vary however.
                                  I'd just buy the monitor and see, if it's not good enough then just upgrade the graphics card?
                                  Watching moves is not the same as editing still video (pictures). 30Hz is fine for editing still video.

Comment

30Hz is only fine if you can get by with the laggy feeling of the mouse cursor. 60Hz is the minimum for me, unless it's just watching video/movies.

I see a lot of AMD bashing - the quality of drivers has signficantly improved in the past few years while you've been away. I would choose the card by price and availability, not by fanboyism. For instance, a RX 560 will definitely do what you need, uses very little power and it is very cheap.
                                    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-19-2018, 12:12 AM.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

So I did find some cards from nvidia that might work? 1030, 1050 and I think 730Ti support 4K? I also believe HDMI 2.0 supports 4k? Can someone confirm? Thanks!

Comment

you want to support ALL these monitors at once? There are Displayport -> 3xHDMI adapters. If the card has a second display port, that should be direct 4k support on the 43" monitor

or, if the monitors have full displayport, they might be able to be chained. You might need a card with some serious output. like multi DP
                                        Last edited by Uranium-235; 05-19-2018, 01:06 AM.
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                        X