X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty camera on my BGA machine

Hi guys
    I know nothing about fixing cameras

This is from my BGA rework Machine, it is part of the optical alignment system for placing BGA in the correct position on the PCB

It's only a few months old, it was working but became more and more intermittent and now it does not work - the monitor says No Signal.

I tested the monitor with another video source and tried another HDMI cable. The monitor works fine

I checked it had 12V present while it was still attached to the machine

The connections are marked
    12V
    GND
    GND
    A
    B

There is no brand name on the camera as far as I can see

What should I check, and what is supposed to be on the connections A and B?

Rich.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: Faulty camera on my BGA machine

Sorry forgot pics
    Attached Files
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Maybe remove the PCB and check the flex cables are attached properly.

Comment

The 458A and 458B could be a typo error on the silkscreen. Looks more like the RS485 communication protocol. Try scoping those line. But first test and see if voltage is making it to other part of the board, sometimes it could be a cracked solder joint or cracked via, especially with those screw terminals.

Comment

I would inspect the pins on the hdmi plug, use a needle to see if any of the pins have loose solder connections to the board. even one or two loose pins will result in no signal.

Comment

All good suggestion guys, I will have a look for bad joints thanks

It would be good to know if it is supposed to work (in as much as give video output) without anything connected to A and B
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
              It would be good to know if it is supposed to work (in as much as give video output) without anything connected to A and B
              You should have image via HDMI directly. If A and B are indeed RS485 communication lines, they would be to control zoom, focus, etc.

Assuming it is just a bad HDMI port/solder issue resulting in no image, you should still be able to manually control the lens mechanism and see the lens move as well as hear/feel the motor vibrations.
              Last edited by Spider1211; 03-09-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

It's working

The flexy ribbon cable from the camera to the rear PCB did not look like it was properly inserted on the PCB end. In fact it seemed like here was something stopping it going into the socket as far as it should.

I eventually got it to fit after reversing the cable, though it still didn't want to go all the way in after i had done that. For some reason it eventually did.

On the bench it still would not give any HDMI output but I decided to reconnect it to the machine with those A and B cables fitted and then it worked.

I inserted it back into the alignment unit, tested again and it is now working more reliably than it ever did

As someone once asked here how the optical alignment system works, now we know

The alignment system unit is a square tube with a glass cube made of two halves, like back to back prisms looking up and down to the BGA and the PCB.

There is a mirror at the front end of this glass cube and an autofocus camera at the rear side a few cm back.

There are LED lights around the edges of the glass cube, above and below, which illuminate when the alignment unit is swung out. There are controls n the machine to vary the upper and lower LED brightness

There are two micrometers allowing the PCB to move sideways and forwards/backwards. Another micrometer will rotate the BGA chip.

Once the vaccum picks up the BGA and lifts it above the alignment unit, there is a joystick that allows you to manually move the top heater (and hence the vacuum pickup + BGA) up and down to get both upper lower image the same size.

Basically that is it.

Rich
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

sounds expensive - the optics i mean.

Comment

Nope..... it's still intermittent. Worked for about 20 mins then suddenly cut out and would not come back on. I powered the machine off and on a couple times but it didn't help. Then after 5-10 mins I powered on again and it worked until I turned the machine off this time.

There can't be much wrong with it but it's bloody annoying

Rich
                    Follow me on YouTube
                    ------------------
                    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

check the soldering on the shit HDMI connector. (all HDMI connectors are shit!)

Comment

Working...
                      X