Panasonic TC-P42ST30: Repair for 14 blink code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P42ST30: Repair for 14 blink code

My beloved Panasonic TC-P42ST30 has been stricken with the 14 blink code.

I've spent many hours reading through forums, watching YouTube videos and reading the Panasonic plasma troubleshooting guide. But I'm a novice at this, and still need some help to cross the finish line.

I understand the Panasonic troubleshooting guide suggests that the 14 blink code usually means there's a problem with either P-board or A-board. However, I also learned the problem frequently rests with the SN-board.

Using my multi-meter, I was able to confirm the P-11 pin on the P-board is working fine, which leads me to believe the A-board is probably fine, too.

The P-2 pin on the P-board is testing as a short. I ordered a replacement board, tested it and had the EXACT same problem with P-2 testing as a short.

Question: Just double checking, if the P-2 tests as a short, that means the board needs to be replaced, correct?

The SC/SN-2 pin on the SN-board is also testing short.

Question: If the SN-2 pin tests short, that means the SN-board should be replaced, correct?

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic TC-P42ST30: Repair for 14 blink code

Check thes 4 ibgt's for a short. Leg to leg and leg to tab.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, I tested the four IBGT's you identified in the photograph and they all failed.

Question: I'm pretty sure this means the SN-board needs to be replaced, correct?I found a guy who will fix the board if I send it to him.

Question: And in follow-up to my earlier question, if the P-2 tests as a short, that means the P-board needs to be replaced, correct? The original board and my replacement board both tested short at the P-2 pin. Coincidence or not? I'm not sure.

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
      Check thes 4 ibgt's for a short. Leg to leg and leg to tab.

Comment

The power supplies rarely fail in this model. I would have the board repaired and go from there.

Comment

Okay, I'm sending my board off to get repaired and I'll check back in here to let everyone know how it worked out it. In the meantime, if anyone else has any thoughts on my P-board situation, please chime in. Thanks!

Comment

When you reinstall the sn board, use the new style screws with the lock washers. Shopjimmy sells them. Also, take your time re fitting the panel ribbons. If you see lines on the screen, turn the TV off and redo. I run the anti image screen with the scrolling black bar to check for any lines. You may have to reseat them alot. Good luck!

Comment

Here's an update: After installing the repaired SN-board, the TV no longer gives me the 14-blink code. However, I still don't have a picture. It turns off and on with ease (before it wouldn't turn off). My best guess here is that I need to find a working p-board (the first two boards I've I ordered have been DOA). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the P-2 pin on the p-board is testing as a short to ground. Is anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd like to hear there them.

Also, could someone post a link to the ShopJimmy new style screws with lock washers recommend by the previous poster? I couldn't locate them. Thanks!

Comment

Do you get a short on p2 when the plug to the sn board is removed? Also is this plugged in?
                Attached Files

Comment

Send a pic of the repair to your SN board.

Comment

Yes, the short on P2 occurs when the plug to the SN-board is removed.

The part you ID'd is plugged in.

Do you get a short on p2 when the plug to the sn board is removed? Also is this plugged in?

Comment

I already screwed the SN-board back in and I don't want to take it out right now because it was a real pain sliding the ribbons back in. To my untrained eye, I couldn't see any obvious repairs to the top of the board. The bottom of the board, though, had some discoloration that suggested areas where repairs were made. If I need to take it out, I'll take pictures.

Send a pic of the repair to your SN board.

Comment

I ordered another P-board today, so I'll do an update after it arrives. I really hopeful that's that only remaining problem. The 14-blink code is gone and the TV easily turns off and on. I just don't get a picture or sound.

Comment

Here are the screws for it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What is the benefit of these screws versus the original screws?

And these go on the board, right?

Here are the screws for it.

Comment

The old screws don't have lockwashers and they loosened up causing the problem. The new ones won't .

Comment

My Panasonic TC-P42ST30 has been resurrected from the dead! Here's what happened:

Ultimately, the problem was the SN board. I found a guy in California on eBay (user name: asa.vd.pc) who charged $69.00 for the fix.

I am beyond thrilled that I didn't have to scrap it. Thanks to everyone on this forum who shared their success stories in other threads. It kept me motivated.

I did take a some costly wrong turns. The Youtube videos and Panasonic diagnostic document floating around out about the 14-blink error code all suggested that the P-board was likely the #1 problem. In my case, this was completely wrong.

I bought a couple of P-boards I didn't need. Luckily, I was able to return one at no cost. I think I might need to upgrade my multi-meter too because I got some contradictory readings at certain points

It took awhile, but it was all worth it. One important tip. Snapping the ribbons back into the SN board can be very tricky. I did it wrong the first time and got no picture at all. I tried it again and had lines all across the screen. Be careful. I was really nervous about damaging the ribbons because you have to use a bit of force to have them sit JUST RIGHT.

Comment

I turn the tv on and run the scrolling bar screen cleaner feature to make sure I have zero lines across the screen.

Comment

Working...
                                  X