S-10-5 power supply schematic etc. 5V 2A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-10-5 power supply schematic etc. 5V 2A

I got a 5V 2A power supply for some hobby projects from Aliexpress store YXD Wish for about $4. S-10-5 and the build quality good, solder blob under transformer and a solder balls on the PCB top so I cleaned that up.

Powered it up, get 5.0V but when connecting a load resistor it cratered. At 10R load which should be 0.5A, it dropped to 3.8V out and it went into hiccup mode below 5 ohms. About 1.5W output is all I can get.
    I drew out the schematic and poked around with a scope. It's running slow at 31kHz and primary current pulses are measly 30mA. So I think the IC is fake and not working, it has no markings.
    It appears to be a TX203H alternates are CR6203, RM6203, SDC603, SW2604, SL2128B. Commonly used in wall warts.
    (The bottom rung version of this same S-10-5 using phenolic PCB, uses IC DK1203 Dongke Semi and no current-sense resistor, and cheapened other stuff.)

I asked for a refund and so far the vendor is quiet... I had another one ordered from a different Ali store but the floods took out rail and highways to the coast so it will be a while to get here and compare.

Don't forget website comparing pinouts of SMPS IC's. Good tool to reverse-engineer the IC used when there are no markings or it popped.
    Attached Files

Re: S-10-5 power supply schematic etc. 5V 2A

i would only buy MeanWell stuff at this point.
    they arent piss-cheap but they arent crap either
    https://meanwellonline.aliexpress.com/store/5429250

Comment

Has anyone used this type of switching power supply

Brand : Mean Well
      Model : PSC-160A-C
      Output CH1 : 13.8V / 7.6A
      Output CH2 : 13.8V / 4A (Battery charge)
      Rated Power : 160W
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

you probably need to ask on a cb radio forum with that output

Comment

The problem with these smaller power supply modules, they're always missing parts to be cheap.
          I look for: a fuse, common-mode choke/X-cap for EMC, NTC and decent sized primary cap. It's too much to ask. A name-brand AC wall-wart has all of that. But who wants to glue that down in your enclosure.
          I have another board, high quality - but the transformer runs pretty hot even at 1A load.

In the 10W league, it's cheap chinese open-frame, or "high end" $20 potted modules like CUI PSK-S12B module. CUI VOF-10B rated 3-year life and has Teapo caps. UGH.
          Meanwell I'd looked at it was all big, 25W-50W is the smallest ,then the potted modules IRM-10-5V but who knows what's inside.
          Popular is the Hi-Link HLK-PM01 modules but no fuse, no input EMC filter.

I'll keep looking, it seems easier to mod a cheap open-frame one.

Comment

Delta also has some decent power supplies (although I saw a big fan-cooled one that appeared to adjust fan speed based on load instead of temperature), but they only go down to 15W.

Comment

I used a shitload of these Meanwell power supplies mainly wall warts. So far I had good luck with them, zero problems. I also used bigger Delta power supplies and they were also good.

Redwire: that link doesn’t work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                Don't forget website comparing pinouts of SMPS IC's. Good tool to reverse-engineer the IC used when there are no markings or it popped.
                Should there be punycode here instead of *'s?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                  I used a shitload of these Meanwell power supplies mainly wall warts. So far I had good luck with them, zero problems. I also used bigger Delta power supplies and they were also good.

Redwire: that link doesn't work for me.
                  It does not work for me either
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

"****************/ic_power/"

Comment

The URL for the Russian website comparing pinouts of SMPS IC's gets turned into asterisks here like this: ht tps://****************/ic_power/
                      Trying to post them, just delete the spaces to get the URL:
                      Home page: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /load
                      AC-DC SMPS IC identification: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /ic_power/
                      DC-DC SMPS IC identification: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /dc_dc/
                      Some service manuals there too, use google translate.

Aliexpress store YXD Wish said nothing about their dud S-10-5 power supply, sent them pics too. "Aliexpress guaranteed return shipping" means... I have to pack it up and pay probably $15 to send it back to china. UGH

Good news, the second power supply came in and I will post pics and schematic. At least it works.
                      Last edited by redwire; 11-30-2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                        The URL for the Russian website comparing pinouts of SMPS IC's gets turned into asterisks here like this: ht tps://****************/ic_power/
                        Trying to post them, just delete the spaces to get the URL:
                        Home page: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /load
                        AC-DC SMPS IC identification: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /ic_power/
                        DC-DC SMPS IC identification: h ttps:/ / remont-aud . n e t /dc_dc/
                        Some service manuals there too, use google translate.

Aliexpress store YXD Wish said nothing about their dud S-10-5 power supply, sent them pics too. "Aliexpress guaranteed return shipping" means... I have to pack it up and pay probably $15 to send it back to china. UGH

Good news, the second power supply came in and I will post pics and schematic. At least it works.
                        Thanks redwire!

Comment

Working...
                        X