Game & Watch Fire with no sign of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game & Watch Fire with no sign of life

I've got a broken Game & Watch and was hoping that it would be just a trivial problem like dirty contacts or a dry cap. But even after replacing every part but the zener, the crystal and a unknown part (the green one at the bottom right) and supplying 3v from my bench supply it still won't display anything.
    I tried exchanging the polarization filter with one from a working one but that didn't help either. I also dipped it in 99% isopropyl to clean of any gunk and resoldered any joint I could reach to exclude cold joints.
    The traces seems fine for me and I measured everything I could reach with my multimeter without finding anything suspicious. If the screen was faulty it should at least play some sound, but nothing. I also doubt the chip has a problem since it seems physically undamaged and you can't really supply too much voltage since only LR43 batteries would fit in.
    There is some blue stuff on the chip pins but it seems to be intentional and wouldn't come of in the iso bath.

Can you spot anything I've missed or know what kind of part the green one is?
    Attached Files

Re: Game & Watch Fire with no sign of life

with anything cpu-based the crystal is one of the first things to check.

Comment

Ok thanks for the hint. I'll order a replacement and look if that'll fix it. It should be a 32 kHz one if I'm not mistaken? Only thing printed on is KDSIL but I couldn't find anything about it.

Comment

if it is 32.768KHz then you can salvage them from all over the place - every pc motherboard has one

Comment

Lend one from a partial broken (PCIe slot not working) MSI K9N Neo with nothing but E32K printed on it. Still the same result.
          Do you know what the green part is? It has .33/35 +++ printed on.
          Last edited by Blag; 10-28-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

a tantalum capacitor

Comment

Thanks I ordered a replacement one and also a new crystal. I'll report back once they're installed.

Comment

Working...
              X