Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desoldering Tool Recommendation

Hey guys,

I have searched the forums finding various pros and cons but I am still undecided. I would value your input on a buying decision here- I am planning on purchasing a desoldering tool/station. I am hoping to avoid the pitfalls other users here have experienced. This will be for commercial use (repairing vehicle PCMs, exhaust analyzers, electronic ballasts, etc.) but since I am just starting off and this is coming out of my own pocket and not my shop's I am trying to keep the costs down.

I have narrowed the list down to three choices all of which are about the same price- the Aoyue 474Aa++, the ZD985, and the Hakko 808. I am also open to other suggestions. Performance is important, but I am far more concerned with reliability and even moreso than that- "repairability" (which seems to be largely determined in this specialty area by the availability of replacement parts).

Thank you in advance,
    Techniker

Re: Desoldering Tool Recommendation

The ZD985 is the typical chinese station, one was recently reviewed on eevblog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ

You'll find spare parts for them on eBay for some time.

The Hakko 808 is good as expected, but keep in mind it will have more expensive accesories, it will be heavier as it has everything integrated, it's always on unless you have an outlet with on/off switch.

Not familiar with the Aoyue desoldering station, search for youtube videos and maybe on eevblog forum for reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
      The ZD985 is the typical chinese station, one was recently reviewed on eevblog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ

You'll find spare parts for them on eBay for some time.

The Hakko 808 is good as expected, but keep in mind it will have more expensive accesories, it will be heavier as it has everything integrated, it's always on unless you have an outlet with on/off switch.

Not familiar with the Aoyue desoldering station, search for youtube videos and maybe on eevblog forum for reviews.
      Thanks for the response. EEVblog is actually where I came across the ZD985- prior to that I did not even know it existed as a serious product- it's availability here in the US is extremely limited, appearing to be relegated to the South Pacific and Eastern Europe. I actually have a similar post on the EEVblog forum, hoping to draw on input and experience from both forums. The sourcing for consumables isn't the problem- the bigger problem appears to be availability for the parts inside the station itself- the motor, vacuum pump, etc.

Aoyue desoldering stations don't seem to have much user input/reviews available (though I have found a video on Youtube demonstrating it- far from a comprehensive user review though). I have been happy with my Aoyue rework station though. There have been isolated anecdotes here though where the Aoyue failed to desolder a multilayer and/or double-sided PCB but I am hesitant to condemn the entire product over an isolated anecdote. Being able to desolder multilayer/double-sided PCBs is an absolute requirement for me.

The Hakko 808 is the way I am currently leaning due to reviews from professional technicians.

-Techniker

Comment

Hello, it's strange because i've read that the Aoyue is featured to be ready for the multi-layer PCB, as i've read here:
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOYUE-474A-D.../dp/B00E0HWPIY
        Can you give a feedback since the time of your last post?

Comment

I have an Aoyue 474A, the sponges that come are flimsy and i followed a suggestion and upgraded to hakko parts.
          I'm sure there was a post on here where a user has upgraded to the 808 and he said there was a big difference.

I use my Aoyue on all boards, it's sometimes a little tricky as the solder doesn't like sticking to the tip so i use a blob of Kingbo to help with heat transfer.

If i was using it all day every day i'd go for the better 808, but i don't, so it does me fine.

Comment

What is the difference between the AOYUE 474A++ and the AOYUE 474A?
            Did you try to unsolder caps on desktop motherboard with multilayer lead free pins?

Comment

a lot of people like the xytronics unit.
              just dont buy a used weller - they dont last.
              and they are LOUD.
              the pump is like a truck airhorn compressor!!

Comment

Originally posted by int0x13 View Post
                Did you try to unsolder caps on desktop motherboard with multilayer lead free pins?
                I add more lead solder to it first and use 60W wide tip soldering iron to remove the cap, then I use stainless steel dental sharp tool to clear the holes for the component legs while meting the solder.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Sorry it's a Aoyue 474A++ it was a typo. Whilst i haven't had any desktop motherboards to repair i have used it on most things without issue, i however prefer to use hot air.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    I have an Aoyue 474A, the sponges that come are flimsy and i followed a suggestion and upgraded to hakko parts.
                    I'm sure there was a post on here where a user has upgraded to the 808 and he said there was a big difference.

I use my Aoyue on all boards, it's sometimes a little tricky as the solder doesn't like sticking to the tip so i use a blob of Kingbo to help with heat transfer.

If i was using it all day every day i'd go for the better 808, but i don't, so it does me fine.
                    I'm disapointed about my Aoyue 474A++. It's get dirty really fast, and the pipe is filling fast. So you have to empty it very often.
                    You talk about a user who has upgraded to the 808, what do you mean, that he swapped the parts with hakko ones? Like swap the main tip?
                    Last edited by int0x13; 12-22-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I'm disapointed about my Aoyue 474A++. It's get dirty really fast, and the pipe is filling fast. So you have to empty it very often.
                      all desodering systems have that problem,
                      some come with tools to make it a bit less anoying.

my weller had a cup with wire-mesh in it to clean the tip and a sort of needle to clear the tip.

i'v seen other company's put heatproof tape like a handle on the glass collector so you can empty it while it's hot.

if you want to keep cleaning down, make sure there is no flux on the joint you desolder - it's flux that gums the tips up.

Comment

I used Pace desoldering stations in the past and they work well. One can get many replacement parts with different size tips. They are easy to clean and have a glass tube so one can see when it is filling up. You might consider a used Pace if the new ones are to expensive. My 2 cents.

Comment

I haven't used either of the tools mentioned, but Hakko will be much better quality than the other two.

In either case, learning proper usage and care is needed: http://www.howardelectronics.com/den-on/tips.html
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

I would really like to see or view a comparison of someone who has tested both the ZD-985 and the Aoyue 474A++. I start to really think that the zhongdi is better. But i'm not sure at all until i can test the ZD-985!
                            Last edited by int0x13; 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

To do a exact comparison a person would have to know where the devices were and made by who and what exact parts were used and where did the parts come from. Then all error analysis would have to be performed over a length of time. After all that someone who has years of experience and present experience of desoldering in all applications would have to sit down with the three mentioned in order tell the ease and hardships of using each device.

Comment

I mean it's simple but you need to have both the models and then compare with the same PCB and see the differences in efficiency. I mean i've seen the dav johns test about the ZD-985 a few times to compare with mine when working on a ATX motherboard and i find the ZD is working way better than my Aoyue on what i see.
                                I talk about this:
                                http://www.eevblog.com/2013/11/01/ee...desoldering-st

Comment

I purchased the Duratool version of this station a few months ago.
                                  I had previously used a Pace desoldering station with a replacement heater element costing more than one of these stations.
                                  I find the Duratool station very good. There is plenty of suction and it loosens everything if I raise the temp to suit. The gun shape makes it very easy to see the solder pad and I think makes it easier to use.
                                  Hope I still like it next year.....

Comment

Working...
                                  X