Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Book for Consumer Electronics Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Book for Consumer Electronics Repair?

I have Electronics for Dummies and although I think it is a good primer, I"m looking for something that goes a bit more in depth and is a bit more current.

I've been looking at "How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic" by Michael Geier but as it was printed in 2011 I fear it might be a bit dated already.

I work mostly on TVs when it comes to component replacement and am looking for something that would compliment that.

Re: Good Book for Consumer Electronics Repair?

an Element14 catalog ??

Comment

Interesting but not what I was looking for. I'm still looking for a How To book but something a bit beyond the For Dummies book.

Comment

Hello

Check the e-books of Jestine Yong, it cover general electronic fix, TV's and hi-fi , he made some excellent ones, for beginners and for confirmed technicians as well, i was wondering about the quantity and quality of the images he inserted inside.
        They are not free, maybe a bit expensive following the number of pages, but you can order it online and it is fast to get.
        I appreciate especially the one about SMPS power supply explanation and maintenance.

Comment

I suggest taking a class on electronics first. You will receive a lot more knowledge than a book can give you alone! Believe it or not there are safety concerns with low voltage as well!

Comment

My learning tools were... Youtube, Google, This forum and diving in there.

I have been shocked twice mindya.... Once of a PFC cap with board out (Let my hand slip and touched terminals) and the other was asking someone to turn something on when I say so (they just switched it thinking I meant straight away.... Lovely feeling have your arm eaten away by an invisible force! lol)

Comment

I would learn the basic first to build up your base of knowledge by understanding how the components function and what they are for, and how to use them, then learn how to read the schematic symbols. When you see the component in the diagram then you will see how it is being used in the real world. Once you understand that then you will see if you do this, this will be the result, if I do that that will be the result, which is how you use to troubleshoot the circuit because you can see that the Voltage is not correct, then you see that if that component fail like this it will cause the circuit the act like that. It will also allow you to modify the circuit to do something if you want since you know how the circuit functions already.
              Go to the College book store and buy the books that they are using in the class and read then on your own or take the class so you can get answers when you are stuck.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It is about 25 years for now I am working in electronic maintenance, and I keep always discovering new fails and techniques. The only secret is practice, touch on real fails, ancient or new system, it is always a new challenge which may improve your skill.
                Just learning theory without physical approach is useless, it will only remains in 'believes' of knowledges.

If you fix limits to yourself, never you will reach your real abilities, "This is too difficult for me, no one to teach me how to fix it, ..." auto learning attitude is the best experience.

On beginning I was quite young and have got a lot of electric shocks in ancient 220V circuit designs, the chassis was keeping high potential , no insulation.
                That makes aware about risks, never wear arm laces, large clothes, wear thick rubber shoes as possible, ...
                Last edited by yoritomo; 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X