Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK Precision 1786B 0-32V 0-3A Single Output Programmable DC Power Supply

Hello everyone.

I'm just getting started into designing my own circuits and I'm still very new to this and don't know a lot. However, I've come to the conclusion that I could use a nice benchtop power supply and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the BK Precision 1786B programmable single output power supply. The voltages range from 0v to 32v and the current ranges from 0 amps to 3 amp. Do you think this would be a nice power supply? If not, could you possibly recommend a decent programmable benchtop power supply? Thank you.
    Attached Files
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: BK Precision 1786B 0-32V 0-3A Single Output Programmable DC Power Supply

What electronic circuits are you designing? This can assist in selection of the power supply for the purpose.
    A good feature is programmable current limiting which the output will shut down (or fold back) when a preset current limit is exceeded, meaning that it is less likely to damage connected devices under fault.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

price range?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        price range?
        I guess price range doesn't really matter too much. If it's worth saving up for a more expensive one, I'm okay with that. I was picturing not spending more than a 300$ - 400$, somewhere around there, but if that's not going to get me something that I can use for a while, if I'm just going to have to upgrade again in a year or so when I learn more about circuit design and start working on more complex projects, I'm okay with saving up more money to get a nicer unit.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          What electronic circuits are you designing? This can assist in selection of the power supply for the purpose.
          A good feature is programmable current limiting which the output will shut down (or fold back) when a preset current limit is exceeded, meaning that it is less likely to damage connected devices under fault.
          I don't really know. Right now, I'm still learning so I'm just doing really really basic circuits (like RC circuits), learning how everything works. I'd love to eventually get into stuff with wireless communications. You know, building circuits that can communicate wirelessly. I love computers. I repair them on a semi-daily basis. I'm sure eventually I'd like to build maybe a small PC, using an 8086 processor or something along those lines. I'd love to build an EPROM dumper / flasher. Way down the road, I'd like to try out some ideas I came up with that involve a touch screen display.

Comment

maybe this!
            http://www.rigolna.com/products/dc-p...s/dp800/dp832/

3 Outputs; total power up to 195W
            Low Ripple Noise <350 uVrms/2mVpp
            Fast transient response time: <50 us
            Channel isolation: CH1 || CH2,CH3
            OVP/OCP/OTP protection functions
            Built in V, A, W measurements and waveform display
            Support for output Delay, Analysis, Monitor, and Preset functions
            3.5 inch TFT Display
            Connectivity including USB Host & Device, LAN, and Digital IO

Comment

Thank you for the response Stj. I see that it has three outputs, two that go from 0-30VDC and 0-3A and one that goes from 0-5VDC and 0-3A. Is Rigol a better brand than the BK Precision? I like how it has a USB and ethernet port. I also like the extra two outputs. Although I might not use them right away, I'm sure down the road they'll come in handy. What does it mean by Channel isolation: CH1 || CH2, CH3?

Comment

Rigol is pretty new but has a good rep.

i'm not sure about the channel isolation thing - try reading the manuals.
                https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...12f09e1518.pdf
                http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP832/...iew&itemid=604
                http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP832/...iew&itemid=600
                http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP832/...iew&itemid=599

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWgF1SORkk
                Last edited by stj; 05-03-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thank's Stj! While I was checking out reviews and reading up on the various features, I think I found the answer to what the isolation thing meant. From what I was reading, my understanding is that the grounds are isolated on channels 1 and 2 so I can combine the output together to get either more voltage or more current. However, I cannot combine all three. I also see how there is a known problem with a voltage regulator on the Rigol 832 (possibly 832A as well) where it overheats. Supposedly this problem is fixed with the newer units. I hope if I decide to order one of these (and I'm almost certain this will be the model I will be ordering), that I get one of the fixed ones. Thanks!

Comment

i noticed it has a 3 year warranty too - very unusual in the u.s.
                    if i had the money i'd have one tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      i noticed it has a 3 year warranty too - very unusual in the u.s.
                      if i had the money i'd have one tomorrow
                      I wanted to let you know in case you decide to purchase one of these in the future, I believe certain features are "locked" out by default. For instance, if you want to be able to control the device via USB / LAN, you need to purchase an "unlock" code from Rigol. If you want to use the Trigger option, the analyzer, or some of the other nifty features, you need to purchase an unlock code. There's a high-res unlock code that I believe allows you to make finer adjustments for voltage and amperage but it costs around 90$. There are ways to unlock all the features for free, however, I do not know if they're legal or not. I would imagine if you used a program to generate the keys to unlock all the features and something broke and the unit had to be sent back in, Rigol probably wouldn't honor the warranty. I could be wrong.

From what I've read, the only difference between this 450$ Rigol DP832 and the much more expensive 800$ Rigol DP832A is a locked firmware. The hardware, from what I've read, is identical. The only difference is the software. People even say the screens are the same, though on the 832 they force it to run in monochrome mode or something. I guess you can change the overall colour but can't have multiple colours like the 832A. Again, this is, from what I've read, just a software issue and there might be a way to get the 832A software on the 832.
                      Last edited by Spork Schivago; 05-03-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

i know about the software "upgrades" by purchasing codes to key in.
                        it can probably be hacked - the scopes are the same and they got hacked. :

Comment

Yeah, it has been hacked just like the scopes. In fact, one of the programs that I saw could be used for the power supply along with a bunch of other Rigol devices, like some of their oscilloscopes. Thank you so much for pointing me to this power supply. I'm glad I didn't go through with the purchase of the BK Precision. After shipping and everything, the BK Precision is around the same price, if not more, than this Rigol.

Comment

Working...
                          X