Basic waveform math terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic waveform math terms

On some oscilloscopes, instead of Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division (or its symbols thereof), the following terms are used instead: Sum, Difference, Product, Ratio.
    Would most with basic mathematics knowledge understand the terms Sum, Difference, Product, and Ratio?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Basic waveform math terms

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
    On some oscilloscopes, instead of Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division (or its symbols thereof), the following terms are used instead: Sum, Difference, Product, Ratio.
    Would most with basic mathematics knowledge understand the terms Sum, Difference, Product, and Ratio?
    Makes sense to an 18 year old

Well, the answer to an addition statement is called the "sum", the answer of a subtraction statement is called the "difference", and same applies to multiplication ("product"). The division being called ratio makes sense, because it looks like this: "20/5". The ratio of 20 to 5 is the same as 4:1. So there are four 5's in 20. (20 divided by 5 gives you 4 .... four 5's in 20)

addend+addend=sum
    minuend-subtrahend=difference
    factor*factor=product
    dividend/divisior=quotient

(Note there are different words that are used sometimes, like "augend+addend=sum", or "multiplicand*multiplier=product")

I'll come to the conclusion that most people would know it. I know I learned those in school. At least, those who are actually using the 'scope - who presumably are more into engineering - are more likely to know math better.

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Sum, difference, product, quotient is how I was taught. Ratio makes some sense but I've always thought of ratio as an equation involving three values that can be expressed as either a product or a quotient. For example Ohm's Law.
      Last edited by SteveNielsen; 05-13-2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Most scopes just (for example) add the waveforms, but some can do math like shift one waveform (in time) and then add. I believe it's different terminology between vector and scalar math. A vector has magnitude and direction (angle).
        You can't really add or divide 10V<40° with 5V<184°

I dislike the math feature because many scopes will clip and bungle the addition without telling you, if there's a DC offset and you move the trace.

Comment

Working...
        X