What equipment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What equipment??

Another key point for locating shorts is that you have the schematic to see how the signal lines or power lines are distributed.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yeah this is the issue budm, Rarely can I ever find schematics for graphics cards... Cheers everyone else for the input too...

I may get a bench PSU and inject voltage through after putting IPA over parts of the board.... I do know that the IPA will evaporate a lot quicker with even the slightest heat change and should see the general area at least

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
        I may get a bench PSU and inject voltage through after putting IPA over parts of the board....
        Wait, I thought any liquid on top of powered on electronics could cause problems including shorts?

I recently received a Dell laptop that would not power on. The history was unknown and after several hours of troubleshooting, I finally narrowed down the problem to the keyboard. Some probably spilled liquid on the laptop while it was powered on and cause the keyboard to short out. Removing the keyboard allowed the laptop to power on and function correctly.
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-09-2015, 03:23 PM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

IPA of a decent purity isn't conductive. I've used this trick a couple of times.
          Last edited by diif; 06-09-2015, 02:36 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yeah IPA won't conduct. I have Gallons of it as I use it for cleaning off flux after BGA rework

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              IPA of a decent purity isn't conductive.
              Hmm, I guess I'm overly cautious then and letting IPA cleaned boards dry overnight before powering them on.

However, I don't have the 91%+ IPA. I have the 70% stuff.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Hmm, I guess I'm overly cautious then and letting IPA cleaned boards dry overnight before powering them on.

However, I don't have the 91%+ IPA. I have the 70% stuff.
                Mines 99.9%

Not sure what 70% would do so yeah best let it evap first

Comment

70% rubbing alcohol contains lanolin so don't use that, if it's not rubbing alcohol then it's probably just 30% water and can us a hair dryer to evap the water off.

Comment

This is seriously giving me a headache... Attempted to input current into the circuit and see if IPA evaps faster... No component is heating up :S

So seems using an ESR is useless... I have no schematic... Inputting current doesn't yield any clue...

What else can i try other than tearing components off one by one?
                    Last edited by newtothis; 06-10-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

what voltage is shorted?
                      if it's a very low one then start by lifting the gpu

Comment

I have no clue what is shorted, Just 12v rail to ground is <1 ohm.

Comment

Its some graphics I understand? Often the MOSFETs go bad, and they are pretty special ones, often impossible to get and you need reflow station to replace them. What graphics it is?

SMD is unlikely, if it blasted fuses on 150W connector, 0402/0201 SMD component would vaporize if it was shorted.
                          Last edited by Behemot; 06-10-2015, 10:37 AM.
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

12v line doesnt have much on it, just some caps and fets usually.

got a good pair of front/back foto's of the card near the 12v connector?

Comment

I will have to take some.

All inputs are 12v so I am not sure after that what line the short will be on. Just know there are 2 connectors both 8 pin, One side shows no short but the other does.

Comment

What card?
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-x

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                    Its some graphics I understand? Often the MOSFETs go bad, and they are pretty special ones, often impossible to get and you need reflow station to replace them. What graphics it is?

SMD is unlikely, if it blasted fuses on 150W connector, 0402/0201 SMD component would vaporize if it was shorted.
                                    I have IR reflow station BTW, I also have a 800x microscope and fine pitch soldering equipment. Pretty much no soldering Job I can't do.

If I can find whatever shorted then I can get a donor card and use parts

Comment

Quite possible, very high consumption card. It has those bloody special transistors, see http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...p290xoc-7b.jpg

Comment

I will get pics soon, My card is different layout

Comment

Working...
                                        X