Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decent DMM for around $250?

Originally posted by fzabkar View Post
    I have a Fluke PM97 scopemeter which I bought new for AU$2750. It's been a POS since day 1.

Nowadays I stick with cheap DMMs and test their accuracy with a cheap precision reference (5.000V +/- 5mV).
    I need to get a cheap precision reference... and continue using my cheap 2000/4000 count meters...

Comment

I built something like this:

http://archive.siliconchip.com.au/cm...3/article.html

Comment

I just need to get a couple of those laser trimmed chips... augh...

I actually found some reference voltage chips but they are not exactly as accurate as what you can get, alas it may be good enough. Forgot what they were off the top of my head, but the thing I was a bit worried about is that these are SMT chips and soldering them may affect their trim...

I guess DIP may be better in this respect as long as you don't draw too much current...

Comment

Maxim provides free samples ...

Here is another chip:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...7d2214fb0f.pdf

Comment

Ah REF198GS is what I have... Unfortunately it looks like it's 4.096V +/- 10mV so it's pretty inaccurate, but might be good enough, though still pretty horrible though.

Now the other problem is that at 4.096V, I'd need to locate 0.1% resistors or something to make a voltage divider to get it within the 4-digit 1999 count... Or I might go ahead and try to "bin" a few resistors that I already have that match each other, and use those to make a 3:1 voltage divider...

Comment

you are probably wasting your time once you allow for the volt-drop in the cables and connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by fzabkar View Post
                I have a Fluke PM97 scopemeter which I bought new for AU$2750. It's been a POS since day 1.

Nowadays I stick with cheap DMMs and test their accuracy with a cheap precision reference (5.000V +/- 5mV).
                The later DMM series have better accuracy than 5 mV so fur such testing it is of no use. I guess +-0.5 mV would do.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Actually the MAX6350 has an initial accuracy of ±0.02%, so that's 5.000V +/- 0.001V, not 5mV. Sorry for my error.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...9ffece5239.pdf

Comment

+-1 mV, still the same level than most these better multimeters measure. Should be at least a digit more precie than the multimeter itself I'd say.

In this case it may be used for the UT61B as it has 4V and than 40V range, but some other meters have even 6V range so they could measure 5.000 V.
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Why buy a Fluke then?

BTW, my tester has the 5.000V, 4.096V, and 2.500V references.
                      Last edited by fzabkar; 11-25-2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        you are probably wasting your time once you allow for the volt-drop in the cables and connectors.
                        The 10M ohm input impedance on the "better" meters and this isn't that big a deal - the resistance of the cables and connectors are several orders of magnitude off from the resolution of the display (except in amperes mode). But it would be nice to at least know if the pots on the meter haven't been disturbed.

I did notice my Tek (probably at least 35 years old) and Fluke (probably 25 years old), after all the years they've been out after leaving the factory, still match each other except the last digit, typically by one count (Tek is 1999 count, Fluke is 3199 count). All my other meters are all over the place.

I think my LED Viz meter has the most error from the Tek/Fluke comparison (surprisingly NOT a HFT meter) alas I have no idea how to calibrate it, too many pots on the board...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          I think my LED Viz meter has the most error from the Tek/Fluke comparison (surprisingly NOT a HFT meter) alas I have no idea how to calibrate it, too many pots on the board...
                          Heat up the area close to the trim pot with a solder iron tip (but not touching the trim pot) or use freeze spray on the pot as per this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9E4XpUfoc8

Adjusting it back within specs may only be a temporarily fix if the multimeter drifts over time.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There are around 5-10 trimpots IIRC in the Viz... The recent LCD DMM's I've only seen 1 or 2 at the most...

Comment

Working...
                            X