What am I doing wrong desoldering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong desoldering?

Trying to get this IC out but it is the first time I've done this.
    I have a plunger and wick, but this is all I could remove, and it still won't budge. Am I doing something wrong, or?
    Attached Files

Re: What am I doing wrong desoldering?

it's an advanced skill.
    what is it anyway - and what chip?

there are a few ways of doing it.
    assuming you dont want to trash the chip, you use a desoldering pump with a bit of hellerman H30X25 sleeving on the end to create an airtight seal against the board.

after you remove all the solder, you use the iron to gently nudge all the pins away from the edge of the hole, then gently wiggle the chip with pliers to break any tiny bonds still remaining.

-------------
    or you can try using braid from BOTH sides of the board and then using the iron as above to get the pins away from the edge of the holes.

is that a comodore64 or similar? that rippled solder under the laq looks familiar!
    btw, always melt the solder fully before using the pump.
    Last edited by stj; 07-08-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I find adding some fresh leaded solder helps the old stuff come out easier.

Comment

I am just a newbie, but I agree with adding fresh solder first. Makes it a lot easier.

Comment

Removing DIP (dual row) through hole parts is always a nightmare... often you can choose to keep the part intact or the board intact, but not both; it's so easy to lift a pad. If your not trying to salvage the part snip some legs to make it easier.

I've had best luck with my Aoyue 968A+ rework station and 853A board heater, put the board upside down on the heater at about 150C then once its up to temperature work the hotair in circles around the chip until it falls free.

Assuming that's not in budget, I second adding some fresh leaded solder, and use copious amounts of no-clean or water soluble flux. After you get most of the solder off of a pin where you can see through the hole, heat it till it flows, remove the iron and wiggle the pin with some needle nose until it solidifies... repeat with every pin. you should then be able to pull it out, only reheating pins that catch.
          Last edited by ttuguy; 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

what i said works fine.

Comment

What stj said...though sometimes you're just going to have difficulty, specifically with multi-layered boards. What you need then is Chip-quik, it's expensive(for what you get) but a little goes a long way. It will lower the melt point of the solder so it more easily comes off the board with solder wick.

Comment

What the people above said works fine. ESP stj.

What I sometimes experienced in those cases with those many pins, is making sure you have your iron nice and hot and make those pins nice and hot when you hold the soldering iron on them, add some more solder and press the solder sucker(pump) on top of it and suck it. everything should come out. If you have a plastic tip on the sucker(pump) be sure to speed up the process, don't hold it close to the hot iron or solder for too long .

Also add liquid flux if you can, it makes the solder run more smooth... Keep at it you'll get it eventually

Also a hot air station is the better alternative... I always use my hot air to remove multi pin chips... Thought you have to be careful some boards are weak against hot air and could cause them to either burn up or bubble up.... anyways Goodluck!
                Last edited by MJ-meo-dmt; 07-18-2016, 12:32 AM.
                while alive { live(toFullest=true) }

Comment

If your going to be doing much of this, then invest in a solder extractor, it was one of the best investments I have made in a long time. I got lucky on obtaining an older pace ST115 and hand-piece. Would not be without it for the work I do on expensive multi-layer boards, there are more up-to date and cheaper alternatives though.

Comment

Working...
                  X