CH341A and W25Q128BV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH341A and W25Q128BV

I have a dead msi bord that needs to be flashed, board has spi connector below the W25Q128BV wson and I'm looking to buy a CH341A but I'm unsure if I should buy the simplest or the latest version. Latest version has the isp connector that I can hook up to the spi connector on mb.

Should the mb be powered by atx when flashing or am I way off ?
    Attached Files

Re: CH341A and W25Q128BV

the cheap black programmer can do that,
    but make sure that connector in the foto is actually linked to the flash and not for something else.

Comment

It's hooked up to the W25Q128BV alright, every pin but wson pin3 write protect IO2 so I guess perhaps the mb is setup for standard and dual spi instructions.
      Attached Files

Comment

no issues then.
        i happen to have a black programmer in my hand.
        the connector pinout is this:

1 - CLK
        2 - CS
        3 - MOSI (DI)
        4 - MISO (DO)
        5 - GND
        6 - 3V3
        7 - 5V

so you just need the first 5 pins - power the motherboard before you flash it.
        Last edited by stj; 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Ahh thanks, why should I power the mb before I flash it ?

Should the atx psu be connected or turned on before I flash it ?

Comment

connected and turned on.
            the flasher cant power the chip because it will be connected to a lot of other parts on the mobo.

Comment

Had som spare time today to have a look at the mb - mb would not turn on and stay on. It kept restarting every 2-3 seconds so impossible to flash chip.

I removed the 0 ohm jumper and gave bios chip 3.3v from programmer, used sw 1.18 without problems.

Mb now working as it should
              Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations...

Had an SMD chip like that on an old ChuWi Vi8 tablet. For some reason, updating the video driver to Intel's latest overwrote the flash and bricked it.

Luckily, he included a blank adapter board where you could solder SMD chips on to, so flashing it took a little figuring out but ultimately it was a success. Dumping the chip confirmed that it was different from the BIOS that ChuWi sent.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                X