An old fave analog meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An old fave analog meter

??? That was aimed at the guy with the nice dentures...
    veritas odium parit

Comment

archerkit..hmm..i have one tht's still working.and i think i also have the assembly manual hidden somewhere.i'll go take a wee look..

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        ??? That was aimed at the guy with the nice dentures...
        If anyone suffers from early onset nostalgia....its ME! My first electronic fix as a kid was an old tube radio....never got over that. I was so born at the wrong time

Comment

Manual, including schematic, is here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4a5...it_28-4014.rar

Comment

Thank you very much!!
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by romansroad View Post
              I have 2 Micronta's still alive. One I built from a kit as a 8 y.o. and the other my Dad used for years. Now that he's gone, it's mine. Funny guy he was, the original box, instructions and test leads all neatly arranged and he never stored it with the battery in place in case it leaked. Its the little things in life....
              Sounds like a pretty sensible idea to me. Leaking batteries are nasty, especially inside your equipment.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                When I first started in electronics, bout 1972 or so, I used my dad's Heathkit multimeter. It's amazing I never fried it.
                After that I got what turned out to be my all-time favorite analog meter.
                The Micronta 22-204.
                So I was helping my mom pack, she's moving next week, and got to a few boxes of my dad's old electronics crap. In with a ton of cables and small light bulbs, another 22-204!

Still don't know what happened to MY old one. But now I have 2 working ones, and one with a busted meter.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I just got a Kyoritsu 1110 off eBay, brand new and boxed, 20 GBP all in. Very good spec, also has a battery test (1.5V) and LED test. It will be very useful for troubleshooting SMPS's, for some aspects of testing it's better than a digital.
                  System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

And the battery test comes in handy for those in remote controls.
                    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                      When I first started in electronics, bout 1972 or so, I used my dad's Heathkit multimeter. It's amazing I never fried it.
                      After that I got what turned out to be my all-time favorite analog meter.
                      The Micronta 22-204. I had that for years. Didn't use it much after I got my Fluke 77, but lately I've been wanting an analog meter. I looked through all my old boxes, and didn't find it. Not sure, I may have given it away or, it may have suffered from a combination of sudden decelleration/concrete poisoning.

Anyhow, just got one on e-bay for $6.00 hopefully it'll be in good working condition when it arrives.
                      Speaking of that old Heathkit, I was at my Mom's last night and got to thinking about dad's old stuff. I'd kinda like to have it, though it's probably long gone. I did a Google search to find a pic to ask my Mom about.
                      This is it:
                      Attached Files
                      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

have an old archer kit 28-4014 found at flea market some wires are loose I pink wire from movement not connected need proto of inside side of meter to show were pink wire goes or build instructions cfrankkey@bellsouth.net

Comment

can you post a picture of the pcb meter area there are some images on google that may help a quick google search also says the same pcb etc is used in the micronta 22-204a version
                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 09-28-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I have a growing collection of various Avo's several model 8's and some earlier, I keep buying them when they come up on the second hand circuit, I simply cant stop myself. I have seven of them now and do actually use them from time to time.

Comment

How common are the 50Kohm/volt meters or higher (not counting "range double" meters)?

I have yet to come across one, only the typical run of the mill 20Kohm/volt meters (and that one FETVM)...

Comment

My dad gave me his 22-204A to fix (and give back!). It was zapped by testing with the wrong range set. The needle was dead in all ranges. I took it apart and found R24 (9.5 ohm) was visibly burnt. I replaced it but the meter still would not work. I found a repair thread on another site that had the same problem. In that case, D3 or D4 was shorted and the cause of the malfunction. On some versions of this meter, D3 & D4 are substituted for a fuse. If there is no fuse, then check these diodes. The repair thread did not say what diode to use for a replacement. But I found another site (link below) where someone mentioned using a 1N4148 diode as a replacement. I installed one and now the meter works perfectly.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=6#manual

Comment

Anyone retrofit inverse parallel silicon diodes onto their old analog meters to protect the meter of an overload? Wonder if it's worth to add this "hack" with cheap diodes to save the meter movement that's no longer being made - if it doesn't already have them?

Comment

Hi, new member, first post. I had to laugh a little reading this thread, as I also had the RS meter in the first post.

Regarding analog meters, a couple things to keep in mind: while they aren't good for exact measurement, they are great for watching change and for adjusting a circuit to a peak. Most of the old battery operated meters can significantly load low power circuits, and may even cause such circuits not to work correctly. The old vacuum tube (VTVM) meters have input impedances on par with DVMs. A VTVM can still be a useful tool on the bench.

Here is a pretty good video on the subject: https://youtu.be/GR3rR7tc30Y

Regards,
                                    Jim

Comment

Yes VTVMs are nice that their input impedances are as good as modern digital voltmeters. I ended up getting rid of my VTVM (Heath V7A) as I also have an analog FETVM (actually, some JFET op amps, not discrete FETs - but who's counting).

Also made by RS/Micronta, it likewise has a 10M input impedance like DVMs and VTVMs. Unlike VTVMs, it actually can automatically swap the inputs and light an LED when the voltage goes negative. But since it has internal zeroing, so you can't do an arbitrary voltage zero like what you can do with a VTVM with an external zero knob. Likewise, it also requires no resistance zeroing either with an onboard regulator...

The thing eats batteries however, but can't complain, a VTVM needs to heat heaters (but DVM LCDs eat even less power). I estimate it can only last 200 or so hours on a set of four AA's, which is about the same as an el-cheapo LCD DMM with a 9V. I ended up opting for this FETVM because it has a mirrored scale, something the VTVM didn't have.

Comment

Here is a CL find I am proud of: Triplett FET meter with original probes, HV probe, and case: $25
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Also one of those VTVM/FETVMs with the ohms scale going opposite the run of the mill VOMs. The FETVM I have actually matches a regular VOM... boo

Comment

Working...
                                          X