Talk to me about tantalums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about tantalums

Lately I've been refurbing and modding a lot of gameboy consoles and usually their main filter cap is 100uf 6v. I've been pulling 100 and 150uf 6v tantalum caps from dead macbook logic boards and using them in place of the original electrolytic. They are small and solder in quite nicely. It's my understanding these are solid state with really low ESR and should outlast the console. Is there a difference between the yellow and black ones? Should I avoid tantalums in certain circumstances like audio circuits?
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Re: Talk to me about tantalums

i think the yellow and the black/white ones are the same.
    be a bit carefull about black ones that are laser-etched - some are polymer and have a higher capacitance than you would expect.

btw, i do exactly the same when i fix gamegear's - tantalums from old motherboards

Comment

Re: Talk to me about tantalums

Tantalum capacitors in audio circuits is a very controverse discussed theme. Some audio gurus are strictly against their use.
      On the other side you can find tantalum capacitors in high end products, even in the signal path.

If a ciruit is your own design and you find good reason to use a tantalum capacitor, use it.
      If you want to replace a e.g. electrolytic type in an existing audio ciruit, for what reason ever, better don't do that.

Comment

Working...
      X