I need hep with Lecroy LC534AM and Tektronix 2337 oscilloscopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need hep with Lecroy LC534AM and Tektronix 2337 oscilloscopes

I acquired a Lecroy LC534AM 1Ghz oscilloscope and a Tektronix 2337 100Mhz oscilloscope from a friend with a recycle center. The Tektronix came in working but the Lecroy had blown fuses which I replaced and now it powers up fine.

Question 1: Neither of these came in with probes and I would like to get some but I have no idea what to look for. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I did find these probes on eBay. are they the right ones for the Tektronix?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-100MHz-Os...x/161591604294

Question 2: Where can I learn how to use these oscilloscopes? I intend to use these scopes to learn to repair more types of tvs and electronics with. I currently have no oscilloscope experience.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Re: I need hep with Lecroy LC534AM and Tektronix 2337 oscilloscopes

Welcome, junkmail!

The type of probes required depends on what you need to measure, and for measuring accurately over a certain frequency (and not affecting the circuit under test), FET probes (expensive) are ideal, but the acceptable voltage input range is limited depending on the FET probe model.
    For the LeCroy, hardware and software options are found in the System Status menu (press Show Status) - WP01 (Advanced Math Package) and WP02 (FFT/Spectral Analysis) are popular options.

What are all of the hardware/software options fitted in the LeCroy?
    If the HD01 hardware option is fitted, I did confirm that it worked with a CompactFlash card in a PCMCIA-CompactFlash adaptor (I tested it with a 512MB card, but cards with the first partition being over 520MB (decimal, not binary) (or perhaps over 2.1GB (again, decimal, not binary) may not work) - also, I believe that FAT32 partitions are not compatible.
    If the MC01 software option is fitted (to enable the front panel PCMCIA storage slot), I believe that a CompactFlash card in a PCMCIA-CompactFlash adaptor would work for all LC models (CPUP (PowerPC) hardware option), along with 9300 models with the CPU3 (68EC030 CPU+68882 FPU) hardware option, but models with a 68020 CPU+68881 FPU only work with SRAM cards.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Thank you Japlytic for your response!

I've been educating myself with what I can find on the web and it really seems the LeCroy is a very powerful and very configurable machine. For what I will be doing it seems akin to swatting flies with a tank but I'm glad to have all the options to grow into! All I need it for right now is to fix some plasma tvs.

I will look at those options when I get back into the office. Although I do remember the PCMCIA adapter on the front being empty. I saw a stack of PCMCIA drives at the recycle center a few months ago and I will look for one next time I am there.

I see now how naive it was to ask about the probes until I figure out what project I will be using these scopes on. Thanks for answering so succinctly without talking down to me

Comment

Originally posted by junkmail View Post
        Thank you Japlytic for your response!

Although I do remember the PCMCIA adapter on the front being empty.
        The PCMCIA slot on the front (Type II) can only be enabled by software option MC01, but the HD01 (PCMCIA Type III slot) option at the rear does not require a software option.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Good to know, I appreciate it! Looks like I don't have MC01. Here is what I do have:

Soft Version LC534AM 08.0.0
          Monday, September 14, 1998 5:47 PM
          (build 32)

Soft Options: WP01 WP02 CKIO

Hard Options: CPUP VGAC GPIB R232 CLBZ FD01 GP01 CENT I2C

Main Processor RAM Size: 8Mb

Is there a free way to update my software? Should I?

And back to the probe issue: I'm learning through some videos and docs online and it seems I need to pay attention to the bandwidth as well as samples per second of the probes I use. Here is a quote "and most people know that the samples per second needs to be at least 3-5 higher than the bandwidth for accurate results (meaning a 100MHz scope should have ~500Ms/s, or even better 1GS/s for reliable results)."

With that in mind, I would like to pick a general purpose set of probes that would work with my 100Mhz Tektronix and will be accurate enough for me to learn with but not have to throw away once I figure out how to use it. Would the ones I was looking at in my first post be useful or do I need to budget some more money to get better probes that won't limit the effectiveness of that scope?

Am I correct in assuming any probes I pick out for the Tektronix will work the same with the LeCroy as long as I set the channel to 100Mhz?

Comment

For your intended use the probes in the first link will do the business. I have the same probes, i use them with a Philips 2x 50MHz scope. They work great. I can't recall the exact model of my scope as i'm out of town right now, and i'm so used to it i work with it out of memory, and forgot what it's called.

Yes of course they will work with the LeCroy as well. Setting the scope to bandwith limit is optional, but it's a good idea when you are probing noisy devices like SMPS'es, as too high a bandwidth may show false results.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3! Seems like a good place to start.

Comment

I picked up a pair of Hantek 200Mhz probes and now I'm ready to start. I found an Operator Manual for the Tektronix 2336 (Mine is a 2337 but they look identical). When I follow the directions under "Normal Sweep Display" there is nothing showing on the display. When I push the Beam Find button, I can see the beams. Can someone please guide me through troubleshooting this?

Comment

I'm not sure what all is under the directions but I'd try playing with the position knobs. It's quite possible it's simply off the screen.

Once you get the trace on screen there should be a spot on the 'scope labeled "PROBE CAL" or something like that on the front. Use the probe on that point and you should see a square wave on the display. You'll need to adjust the trace knobs to get it to display right but if you get nothing at all either your probe is bad or there's a scope issue.

The wave will look like this wave, except cleaner being an analog 'scope over a DSO. The horizontal position doesn't matter as that's just controlled by a knob and you'll only have one line.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Compgeke.

I have the scope set to AC 50mv 1X. There's a bunch of other things the directions said to set but I'm not sure what is relevant.

I turned the horizontal position fully counter clockwise and slowly rotated the vertical position from full counter clockwise to full clockwise. Then I turned the horizontal a bit clockwise and rotated the vertical a full sweep again. I repeated this until the horizontal was fully clockwise. I did this on both channels. It's my understanding that I should've seen something if this scope was working properly. Is this correct?

I tried the "AMPL CAL" plug as well with no results on either channel.

I appreciate any further testing suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X