Hakko FX-888 vs my old generic rework station: No contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko FX-888 vs my old generic rework station: No contest

My old station was a Kendal 937D++, and I have done a ton of work with it. For being only $100 and having a hot air wand and soldering iron, I can't complain(except it was noisy). After 2 years and hundreds of hours of use, the original elements are still working, but it doesn't compare to my new Hakko. That old station will still see a lot of work though because I need the hot air still, and 2 irons make a lot of stuff easier. My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to switch it to Celsius, which is what I'm used to.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: Hakko FX-888 vs my old generic rework station: No contest

I think a lot of it comes down tto the tips. My hakko fx-888 with generic tips is close to useless. I wouldnt get a clone iron unless it could take a major manufacturer's tips.

Comment

Honestly, my old station was pretty good in the beginning, but now it doesn't regulate the heat as well and the tips don't last long, even good tips. I may buy a spare Hakko iron and see if it will work with it. It has the same plug, but I'll have to verify voltage. I really love not having to hot swap iron tips anymore. I mainly use a D16 (1.6mm) chisel tip, but sometimes I need a pencil tip too, and it's nice to have them both available at the same time.

Comment

real hakko vs 900 series clones, the sensor is usually different.

maybe the pinout on the plug too.
        the real hakko had a shit "din" connector, so the cloners used other connectors - usually locking "microphone" type ones.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm mistaken. My old station was a Kendal 852D++. Still a 900 series clone though. I hadn't looked too closely at the connectors. Probably wouldn't have fit anyway. Maybe I can just rewire one. Basically, I just want a handle that won't come loose every time I put pressure on something. That's probably what I hate the most about the cheap station.

Comment

Working...
          X