Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desoldering station suggestion aoyue 474+ vs aoyue 474++ vs csi 474a

desoldering station suggestion aoyue 474+ vs aoyue 474++ vs csi 474a

i am novice and just want something better than my 10.00 radio shack sucker....it doesnt work on lead solder at all

and i do not want to spend a lot of money

the 3 i have listed here seem to be knockoffs of higher end brands which is ok for me.....

but can someone suggest

aoyue 474++ digital version $145.00 shipped amazon

aoyue 474+ analog version $165.00 shipped

csi 474a seems to be a knockoff of the knockoff aoyue 474+ its $116.00 shipped

Re: desoldering station suggestion aoyue 474+ vs aoyue 474++ vs csi 474a

digital versions are always best.
    not even knowing what country your in, i cant recomend anything specific.

Comment

thanks.....the aoyue 474++ is digital display

i live in USA

i have seen lowest price 145.00 free ship at amazon

the csi 474a is basically a knockoff non digital version of the aoyue 474++ and is $116.00 shipped

do you think its worth $30.00 more to get a digital version vs non digital version assuming both products are equal otherwise ?

Comment

I have the ++ model and Im very happy with it. Takes a few minutes to heat up but once it gets hot you are good to go. It really speeds up the repair process, Id never go back to a hand pump.

I posted some teardown pics on here a few months back if you are interested.
        Last edited by clearchris; 08-06-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

the only concern i have with digital anything is the electronics go bad after use

analog things seems to last forever and digital seem to fail way sooner

is this a fact?

Comment

hey clear chris do you think the model u have would remove an ipm from a y or z board plasma tv?

they are a pain...double sided board metal pads on both sides and lead free solder

nightmare

Comment

i had to use a dremel and cut chip body out then cut legs off.....

Comment

I wouldnt expect any knockoff clone to last forever.

Comment

I havent done any TV work, but sometimes I preheat with a hot air station if there are large ground planes, etc. Also, Ill flow pb solder and sometimes chipquik into joints if needed. I dont think a desolder tool is a silver bullet for all situations. Its really useful though.

A lot of times Ill also have my iron in the right hand desolder tool in left, especially if its tight quarters.
                  Last edited by clearchris; 08-06-2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

the digital version lets you properly see the temperature, that's important when soldering / desoldering

not what you pointed a knob at, but the actual tip temperature second by second.

Comment

thanks.....i know ....not much of anything made today lasts more than a couple yrs..they are made to break....but in the old days things were made to last forever...and not break...when repuation mattered lol

now everyhting is considered disposable lol

im just concerned on the digital display version....maybe would be better for me to get the control knob version....i dont need anyhting fancy.....unless having the digital display temp is that much better or a must have?

Comment

oh ok....thanks stj...

im novice though so not even sure what temp display would even mean to me since i have no clue...i would just turn it up until it melted solder....lol

is this something a pro would benefit from and not someone like me?

Comment

and correction is aoyue 474a+ and 474a++ ...not 474+ and 474++

Comment

Different solders melt at different temperatures. Lead free solder melts at a higher temperature than pb solder (37/63 melts lowest) and chipquik is a secret alloy that melts really low. I almost always melt some 37/63 in to dilute the lead free solder to make it easier to remove.

You want to solder at the lowest temp you can to reduce burning components. Digital readout helps.

Comment

yes thats true...but all elecronics made since mid 2000's are lead free and that the huge problem i have....what i have just doesnt work on lead free solder

and yes i have used too much /long heat and broken pads due to this.....because i have to keep the soldering iron on so long to try to melt the solder it ruins the pad sometimes....so u think its really worth me spending the extra 30.00 to get the digital readout version?

Comment

the solder i use is like 60/40 and it melts fast..i do not use lead free solder when i solder.......and have no issues soldering i have issues desoldering.lead free solder

Comment

Im going to bring this out of PM to the forum so you can hear it from others too.

Shelby is using a radio shack 30watt firestick.

To be honest Im amazed you are fixing plasmas with that at all. A 30 watt iron isnt enough to do lead free solder work. No way I would throw down money on a desolder station before I upgraded to a proper iron.

Hakko fx-888d (70 watts) can be had for 80$ or so. It heats up in 20 seconds. You solder wick.will actually work when you have heat behind it. Then melt pb solder in and watch it melt much easier.

A desolder station is a luxury. A good iron is essential.

My 2c.

Edit: next roll get the 37/63. It melts noticably lower than 60/40.
                                  Last edited by clearchris; 08-06-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

yes i struggle a lot with what i have but it was sufficient for lead solder pre 2006/7 tvs

but now its a pain in the ass...with lead free

i appreciate your help.......i really dont like solder wick...its a pain in the butt....and messy ....i really like the pump idea....thats why i was considering the desolder station

can you look up the csi474a and let me know what u think...maybe this is what i should get...its 116.00 shipped...and is same manuf as your aoyue474a++

Comment

and i will look into the 37/63 suggestion

Comment

i love Pb3
                                        just need a digital iron to set the temp - i like 310 for most work.

Comment

Working...
                                        X