Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i wire up with a UK plug or put in the bin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i wire up with a UK plug or put in the bin ?

I bought a cheeeeap smd vacuum device from China and thought i'd take a look to see inside. Seems a bit dodgy to me but what do you think ?

Before i took the bottom off i was thinking i'd add a filter to one of the lines and see if i could use it as a desoldering pump. Now i'm not so sure i should even bother sticking a plug on it, although perhaps i should for research purposes ?
    Attached Files

Re: Do i wire up with a UK plug or put in the bin ?

Looks like an aquarium bubbler stone air pump
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

looks o.k. other than the switch maybe - what's the switch got stamped on it - any voltage ratings?
      clever design.

btw, it's never going to pull solder - the diaphrams are way to small.
      you would be better using a pump from a car airhorn - that's the type of pump weller DS80 used to use.
      Last edited by stj; 08-09-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

It will probably work fine for what it was designed.

Maybe if you gang the two pumps together with some one way valves you might get enough suction to pull solder. Maybe you could hook the hose up to a blunt tip hypodermic needle. That would give you high velocity at the business end and a chamber with lower velocitty to capture the solder.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, nothing stamped on the switch stj. I'll get a plug on it tomorrow.
          Attached is a photo of the "suckers" with attachments.
          So maybe if i upgrade my pump and use the larger one with a filter.
          Just found this, worth a punt ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3813530856...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
          Attached Files
          Last edited by diif; 08-09-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Thats total overkill for your application. Also, if those are the type of pump Im thinking it is (have 2 scientific pumps in the garage myself) they dont work well at atmospheric pressure. They are good at pulling a very deep vacuum over the course of hours. They also require pump oil (change after every use!) and looking at the condition, an expensive pump vane rebuild kit.

An air horn pump, as mentioned by stj is your best bet.

Edit: looked at your pic, those are hypodermic needles. You could easily buy a larger bore tip if needed. My only concern would be how to clean out the handles.
            Last edited by clearchris; 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks, i do get a little carried away sometimes. I'll use what i have as intended for smd work and think a little more about an electric desolderer. It will need to be able to be cleaned and have a filter in or two.

Something like this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Twin-A...item259505e61e

Comment

Something like this might work. It's got 85Kpa and 9L per minute@24v. The hakko FR-300 gets 81Kpa and 11L per minute.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24v-85-120Kp...item54228cc318
                ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Working...
                X