Transitor/ESR tester dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transitor/ESR tester dead

The docs say say something about the ADC can't clock that fast. I think. Also states there a difference between using a sine wave and a square wave, the tester uses square wave.
    Last edited by SteveNielsen; 11-06-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      The docs say say something about the ADC can't clock that fast. I think. Also states there a difference between using a sine wave and a square wave, the tester uses square wave.
      Yep, you beat me to it.
      It needs a faster ADC so it can capture the waveform, then calculate the ESR based on voltages and time (I think XD).
      Of course, it could possibly do it with some external circuitry to trigger the ADC when it needs to measure a certain part of the waveform.

-Ben
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        Yep, you beat me to it.
        It needs a faster ADC so it can capture the waveform, then calculate the ESR based on voltages and time (I think XD).
        Of course, it could possibly do it with some external circuitry to trigger the ADC when it needs to measure a certain part of the waveform.

-Ben
        Yeah, also something about it taking 1.5 clock cycles of the ADC after the charge is applied and in that time the charge is already decaying in the cap under test. I've been looking at the documentation a bit lately.

I don't know if ext ckt could speed up the process. I don't know enough about these chips but starting to learn a bit.

Random thought - what if they could make this thing into a little o-scope? It'd need better graphics but that'd be fun

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
          Random thought - what if they could make this thing into a little o-scope? It'd need better graphics but that'd be fun
          Oh, plenty of people have done that! Not very good performance, but hey, it can at least give you an idea as to what a signal looks like!

-Ben
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Really? Got links? Yeah, that's all you could expect but an imperfect measurement gives more information than none at all.

Comment

all over ebay.

btw, you could maybe add an SPI interfaced flash ADC chip.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSO138-2-4...8AAOSw9r1WA5ep

Comment

STJ: Do you have wiring diag of the 10 - 6 pin adapter?

Comment

yes

attached:
                    the common programmer,
                    the standard header pinouts,

and pics of an adapter from ebay - that i dont own btw, just saved the pics.
                    Attached Files

Comment

btw, put something over the display before you solder a header on, so you dont get flux on the panel!

Comment

Ok. Will do. Finally ordered the rotary and programmer. I'll scrounge up stuff for the connections. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X