Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with mini USB desoldering technique.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with mini USB desoldering technique.

Sooo, I was reading an article on-line about using "super glue" as an insulator in electronics. The people said it was a great insulator and I decided to give it a shot. I soldered all four wires that I needed to solder to the mini USB connector. Then I took some Krazy Glue and put it over the connections, to make sure they'd stay in place (god forbid, but if one wire came out and shorted out another, it could fry his whole system). After doing so, I tested the continuity across the wires. My DMM shows a really high resistance, like 13 mega ohms. Is this going to be an issue? I'm going to be reading the NAND directly.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Damn it all, I have to be the stupidest person on the planet. I can't believe I used Krazy Glue to try and make sure the wires would stay insulated together. Now I have to find a whole new mini USB port. The Krazy Glue ended up seeping down to where the mini USB cable plugs into and now I can't even plug a mini USB cable in there. Boy am I dumb.

Comment

I've used a dab of hot glue in the past. Its thicker than Cyanoacrylate and shouldn't seep.

Comment

Once I get another mini USB port, I'll be sure to use hot glue. Thanks.

Comment

just order these!
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141689512311

save yourself a lot of shit.
            btw, cyanocrylate glue should never be used on electronics, it will vaporise when it gets hot and reform on anything damp - like your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              just order these!

btw, cyanocrylate glue should never be used on electronics, it will vaporise when it gets hot and reform on anything damp - like your eyes!
              Right, but where I was using it, it should never get hot. Granted, this doesn't change your statement about how it should never be used on electronics! I must of had the mini USB port tilted a bit and the stuff just seeped down into where the cable plugs into. I decided to use it because I was reading a post about how great it is with electronics. How it's a wonderful insulator and how it will prevent corrosion and the like. Even if this is true, it seems the troubles aren't just worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                just order these!

Can you find one of those for mini instead of micro? If I could find one like that but for mini USB, it'd be perfect. It was a pain in the arse making the special cable I need and I don't want to have to make another one for micro.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271509467168

Comment

Well, before I seen your message there Stj (just checked today), I finished the other mini USB port. I'll probably end up buying some anyway, just for future reference. The second mini USB port was a lot easier than the first! Only took a few minutes. Also, it was even smaller than the first. Used hot glue once we were done. Just need to find my files now to file the plastic on the 3DS and then find a place to solder the CLK wire then I should be all set.

Comment

what are you doing anyway?
                      you can exploit the 3ds over wifi now!
                      http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?na...ticle&sid=3436

Comment

And this exploit works with firmware 10.1? My brothers 3DS accidentally got updated to the latest firmware. It was my fault. We downgraded from 8.0 to 4.2 and then went to update to 4.5 using Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon. We had it hooked up to the net though and when Luigi's Mansion was installing 4.5, it connected to the net and downloaded 10.1. Only way I could find to undo it was to write our backed up NAND (8.0) to the NAND directly. So I used a file and shaved away at the plastic to make room for the mini USB port, I soldered four wires onto the mini USB port. I took a mini USB cable, cut one off, opened up a MicroSD to SD adapter, soldered the 4 mini USB wires to the MicroSD pads, put it all back together, then I just soldered the 4 wires from the mini USB port to the various pads / places on the 3DS (GND, DAT0, CLK, CMD). I could of used more of the DAT lines to get faster speeds but room was limited and a mini USB port only provides 5 pins (I think two of them are tied, maybe not?)

Anyway, I got the 3DS put back together and was able to successfully read the 10.1 firmware to the PC and then write the backed up NAND to the 3DS. After that, I downgraded again to 4.2, then, after deleting the internet connections, I then updated to 4.5 using Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon. I formatted the SD card for EmuNAND, and then installed 10.1 in EmuNAND. That worked. Now, if the sysNAND accidentally gets updated again, I just gotta hook her up to the PC and we're all set.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X