• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regular multimeter to test for ESR?

Originally posted by willawake
    i would get this one http://www.anatekcorp.com/blueesr.htm
    but i like expensive tools

I agree about the quality of this meter and it's abilities. It's the same old senario like : where someone wants to build a computer and measure it's caps and such , but hooks it all up to a $10 PSU. Having a good trustworthy meter is maybe the best start any new builder or hopeful repairer can purchase.

Comment

I just bought one of these:

Comment

I still haven't received it, hope I didnt get duped.

Comment

Foreign shipment can easily take a month or more.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Hello!

Hello
            Posted the instrument
            I ask your patience
            Post slow
            With a greeting
            Szekimilu

Comment

The post goes quickly into Europe
              európán without very slow
              If he arrives I hope for it positive get

Comment

hehe...everybody dealing or making esr meters is reading this forum...
                <wink>

evan the meter itself has the name of this site.

Comment

yes BadCaps Esr meter
                  I hope for it is not protecting his name

Comment

But my instrument I planned it and he has nothing to do with the ones in the forum! Beautiful , good and cheap !!!!

Comment

Hi szekimilu Sorry to keep you hanging like that! I got the meter a long time ago and have been using it heavily. It works great, you do good work! I highly recommend this esr meter to anyone looking to buy one if you don't want to/don't have time to build your own. I think I already left positive feedback on ebay but I will make sure.

Comment

Here is the item still on ebay
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Esr-Meter-Capaci...efaultDomain_0

Comment

The link volto gives takes you to the E-bay site for buying the Hungarian szekimilu ESR meter. 1] The site shows customer feedback that complains about lack of an owners manual and schematic. 2] The E-bay site shows a video that demonstrates the meter in action, and it shows that to set zero, you have to do this using a small screwdriver to turn a set pot in the side of the meter. 3] The range is specified to be from .01 ohms to 19.99 ohms. 4] The current price for the meter is now $80.00, which includes shipping from Hungary.

Contrasting this with the Blue Bob Parker unit: 1] The complete owner's manual, assembly instructions [for those of you who choose the kit version] AND schematic are available as a very nice legible PDF at:
                          2] To zero the Blue unit, just touch a button, and the operation is performed by the microcontroller.
                          3] The Blue unit covers the range of .01 ohms to 99 ohms. Since the szekimilu unit is limited to 20 ohms at the top, it will not be useful for smaller value caps covered by the Blue unit. [example: the ESR value of a good new .1 uF cap is 32 ohms. I personally have found being able to measure values in this range to be very useful. DEPENDING on the circuit in question, smaller value caps can and do cause a lot more trouble than the "big" ones in the same circuit when the ESR value starts to creep upward from new condition.]
                          4] The Blue Anatek unit sells for $79.00 plus $6.00 shipping as a kit, and $119.00 plus $6.00 shipping fully assembled,tested, and calibrated.

If someday szekimilu upgrades the Hungarian unit to include a backlight, expands the range to 100 ohms, adds an electronic zeroing circuit, and adds extensive diagnostic troubleshooting routines to the meter, such as contained in the Blue unit, then it will provide some competition to the Blue unit. But not today.

Huck
                          Last edited by Huckfinn; 05-31-2009, 01:36 AM.

Comment

The price went up. I think I paid $60 for mine, which was a good deal, but I agree with your points there and think with the price it is now, the blue one is a better buy.

Comment

Right, after wading thro' this thread and all the incidental crap I'm still no wiser as to what would be a good way to go with building my own ESR meter.

Can anyone give me some pointers for building either a dedicated meter or an add-on that can be used with a Digital or Analogue multimeter? (Preferably based on what you use yourself, tried/tested etc.).

I'm adept at soldering/prototyping etc. so ease of construction isn't an issue. But obviously cost is
                              System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Just in case anybody is googleing by....

https://youtu.be/115erzCCxgE

No sense in buying some "cheap" specialty tester when you have several hundreds of dollars laying around (digital DVM (Fluke 289, etc.) and a signal/function generator. An oscope is nice too!
                                Last edited by lazyace; 05-30-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X