Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trio oscilloscope cs1022

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Watch out, this scope that he is demonstrating with is a Digital Storage Oscilloscope (looks like he mentions it at the end), but your CS1022 is not a DSO. The behavior will be different: a non DSO can't hold or "store" things on the screen so if your time/division sweep speed is less than several ~50 ms/division (so it takes ~500ms to sweep across the screen), you'll see a dot sweeping across the screen instead of seeing a line. This is normal for "analog" or non storage oscilloscopes. At 50ms/div you'll see significant "flicker" but should be able to see the waveform.

DSOs are computerized scopes.

There's also some old analog storage oscilloscopes but I've never actually used one. I'm curious how they actually work.
    Thanks again i have not watched the video untill the end as yet but thanks for your help.

Comment

Depending on what you're doing, having a DSO may or may not matter.

At first I had a old 20MHz analog scope, which is probably very similar in capability to your CS1022. I used it to repair a more advanced 300MHz analog scope with digital control. I subsequently got a broken 300MHz digital storage oscilloscope and used the newly fixed 300MHz analog scope to fix it, though the old 20MHz analog would have done just fine too.

Still surprising what you can do with old analog scopes, a lot of the time it's just thinking about what experiments you can do to work around limitations.

Comment

you can use an analog scope as a vector-monitor to test old arcade stuff like "asteroids"

Comment

Well, don't get too excited. Only analog scopes that have XY mode can be used as a vector monitor, and ones with XYZ input can be made into a raster monitor. Then again I'd be surprised if digital scopes could not have software to display NTSC directly...

I know my old 20MHz scope can not do XY mode and thus cannot do vectors or lissajous figures. My 300MHz scopes do have XY mode, and my analog 300MHz scope can do full XYZ and thus with some external circuitry, display raster images. Note when I say Z, this is brightness, not third dimension; however yes it is a third dimension to a scope.

The XY mode on my 300MHz DSO is crappy at best. I doubt it can do vector graphics justice, but you can do lissajous figures. However I don't have it calibrated perfectly yet so even with X=Y I get an oval indicating a phase error. In any case, using lissajous figures on DSOs have mostly been deprecated as the signal processors can mostly get information gained by lissajous figures by direct computation.

My old vacuum tube (amplfiers, not just the CRT) Eico scope that's at my parents' place, has XY mode and is also single trace. Dang these mini dual trace scopes! Alas it doesn't even have a triggering mechanism...

That being said, I think the CS1022 does have XY mode, or at least the CS1021 has XY mode according to Wikipedia
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-12-2016, 09:48 AM.

Comment

the problem with using a digital scope as a monitor, is even if the capture rate is 5GHz most have relativly slow screen refresh rates.

also, persistance of vision / time-lumenance tricks wont work on most of them.

Comment

Well the trick is, it needs to be processed in software on the digital scopes (including "digital phosphor" (I hate that term)) - if not, no chance, but at least this kind of stuff is theoretically possible. Indeed it will make a trade off of screen refresh rate and CPU/resource utilization. The screen update circuitry gets the shaft over the trigger and capture circuitry.

My 2440 DSO XY mode plots dots, which is OK for lissajous figures, but not OK for vector graphics. I doubt it does XY mode at full sample bandwidth either - probably a small fraction as a gimmick.

Anyone actually use XY mode anymore? I've always thought of this as a hack to get around the limitations of a single channel analog scope without needing to implement a second channel as this was kind of expensive to do (dual gun CRT) before fast transistors/ICs became available.

Comment

i use x-y mode, i fix vector arcade pcb's

starwars looks impressive.

Comment

Ah, thought you were doing so just for fun (I thought fixing the CRT to work was the plan, then again having it show up on the scope helps determine which side is broken), as displaying a raster image on an XYZ scope is really of limited use

Though maybe someday I'd still like to make my 2465 show a raster image for the heck of it

Comment

the idea is you can test a pcb without a fucking huge 26" crt in an open frame sitting on the floor to see the output!

Comment

Cool. I thought most people used mirrors so they could see the screen, but I guess this works too :o

I guess you have a need for more than one scope then, eh? One for the display, second for tracing signals!

Comment

not really, you can check the image, once you see the issue - or see nothing,
                        you can check the circuits without having to view the output.

Comment

It definitely didn't work that way debugging my 2440. Needed to see the screen and use another scope to monitor the signals at the same time. Luckily I could use the internal screen since it's not nearly as big as an arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            I will try uploading it again, its too big to upload as a pdf so I will rar it.
                            Thanks m8
                            Just got my hands of on a CS-1022 and have tried to locate a servicemanual for it, nothing but suspect money-grabbing sites claim to have it

I will share it too

Comment

Originally posted by finno12 View Post
                              Thanks m8
                              Just got my hands of on a CS-1022 and have tried to locate a servicemanual for it, nothing but suspect money-grabbing sites claim to have it

I will share it too
                              i still havent tested my scope as yet but have got it on my work bench now so over the next few days will see if it works doing some basics tests etc it powers on ok and has a trace etc so its a start i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                I will try uploading it again, its too big to upload as a pdf so I will rar it.
                                Hi everyone, Im hellping a local audiophile who has a problem with his oscilloscope, Im trying to find a service manual to help him fix his scope, would you guy be so kind and upload the pdf again?? I tried with the .rar link but it could not be exported properly.
                                Thanks in advance greeting from Serbia

Comment

the rar link does work fine ive just re downloaded the rar files i think the pdf will be too large too upload on the forum.
                                  im using 7 zip to unzip the files and works fine.
                                  Last edited by vinceroger69; 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                    the rar link does work fine ive just re downloaded the rar files i think the pdf will be too large too upload on the forum.
                                    I did try to download it and it did, but when I export it doesn't open it gives me this message : "rar unexpected end of archive" so thats why I asked if someone could put another .rar file again? Could you?

His English is also weak so ill be translating the manual to him in Serbian while we work on it together...

Comment

The RAR file works fine, try downloading again and if it fails use the latest version of WinRAR.
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        The RAR file works fine, try downloading again and if it fails use the latest version of WinRAR.
                                        Thank you so much just made it happen WinRar was bad at my laptop, update it and it worked fine thank so much!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X