Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First QFN removal with budget solder Huakko station 998D

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    T12/T15 tips are awesome! Or any other tip with built-in heating element and sensor for that matter (only mentioning this because I don't know what JBC calls theirs).

Granted genuine Hakko 900M tips are probably fine. But the aftermarket ones are a total disaster, as you noted. I have an iron/station with those, and I use it mostly for engraving wood and melting plastic - that's about all it's good for. Soldering? -HA! I can maybe solder two 22 AWG wires together if I crank the heat up to 400C, lol.
    Yeah, it's the tip that came with the hakko iron and it works awesome. Excellent heat transmission, durability, cleans and tins like a dream.

I didn't realize you could buy name brand hakko T12 tips. For some strange reason I didn't realize the chinese kits were knock-offs of a hakko design. I'll have to add this to my list of projects.

So, do you use legit hakko t12 tips, or knock-offs?

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
      So, do you use legit hakko t12 tips, or knock-offs?
      Mostly knock-offs. I think I do have one genuine Hakko T12... or at least a very good counterfeit as it works and looks good. But for the majority of time, I use my 5 mm bevel tip. It's over 6 years old now, and I've used it for some really heavy jobs, like melting huge pools of used solder on a DVI connector to pull the whole connector out. It managed to do that without issue. I almost pulled even an entire AGP slot using this same method... but almost. Alas, I didn't want to possibly burn my tip, so I decided to abandon the idea after trying for 5 minutes to keep the whole pool of solder on the AGP connector melted. The station was running on 100% duty cycle for almost a minute - not good for the tip nor the station. The only station I wouldn't worry about attempting this with would be JBC.

Comment

Damn, I wouldn't try an agp connector without some serious hot air and maybe some chip-quik. Pretty impressive that it could keep up though.

My hakko 888 does have some challenges with large ground planes on some motherboards.

Comment

Well, the above was on an older Dell/Foxconn obard with leaded solder. I might have even succeeded, but 2 or 3 of my 8 blobs of used solder turned out to be a mix of lead-free and leaded, so in the end, the whole mixture became slightly tin-heavy and immediately started to harden as soon as I remove heat away from it.

Comment

Working...
          X