Digital Multimeter Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Multimeter Fuse

Ok, first off, I'm a noob.... . Now that that's outta my system. I bought a Digital Multimeter, blew the fuse on the same day.... . It says in the manual that the fuse may fail due to user error... . The manual states that I should replace it with a F 500mAL 250V -Fast Action- fuse....
    That's where I'm stuck, I tried google but too no avail...Please help if you can. (I don't know where to get these fuses, and my nearest Radio Shack went out of business.

Re: Digital Multimeter Fuse

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&keywords=fuse

then after some filtering few of the first results
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=507-1196-ND
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=507-1224-ND
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=507-1259-ND

apart from the current/voltage(500ma/250v) also note the size and wether it's fast or slow, you need and you'll be fine.

it really is not hard to get such fuses in any electronics store.
    and they're so cheap that getting them from online stores will probably be more expensive than visiting bigger town(? depending on your location, offcourse...i'm from europe so i can't say for sure)
    Last edited by i4004; 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Look at the fuse and see what numbers are on it. Measure the fuse in millimeters length & diameter.

It's a 500 milliamp or 0.5 amp fuse for use up to 250 volts.

Report back.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks for the input. I did find this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...56&tab=summary . But I don't know if 500mAL is the same as 0.5A. Thanks

Comment

it surely is.

for example
          500mA=0.5A
          and
          1000mA=1A

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
            it surely is.

for example
            500mA=0.5A
            and
            1000mA=1A

And the sad thing is... I graduated High School, but I never was too strong in math. Thanks.

Comment

In this set http://www.allspectrum.com/store/pro...roducts_id=341 , I could use the 0.5A fuses for my Digital Multimeter. But, could I use the other fuses of "different ratings" for other consumer electronics (like TV boards, Power supplies, Satellite box's).

Comment

yes

Comment

Ok, Thanks to everyone. I'm just going to get the $2.99 4 fuse pack from Radio Shack. My Uncle has to run to Thomasville this Wednesday so he's going to pick them up for me.

Comment

I do not see where you reported the fuse size(s) or indicated the markings on the end caps as I asked. Those are important as fuse length and diameter will determine if it fits your meter.

You *could* *possibly* *maybe* use those fuses in other electronics, but why stock up? The likelihood of having the correct fuse in those assortments is slim. Assortments are usually a way for a manufacturer to get rid of excess inventory and overruns.

Better to buy what you need when you need it. Buying a 5 pack of the ones for the meter is not a bad investment. How many other fuses have you (ever) had to replace...?

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

If you bought the meter from Ratshack then the fuse is a 5 X 20 mm Fast blow ceramic bodied fuse. 5 X 20 seems to be the standard everywhere nowadays.

Make sure you don't get the 1 1/4" fuses they won't fit. Ratshack has a special multimeter fuse package with the proper ceramic 5 X 20 mm fuses.

I still use the 50 dollar autoranging model Ratshack meter I really want a Fluke but the Ratshack model works.

I constantly forget to take the probes off before switching it on.

The current measurement is pathetic in the mah range. If the probes are connected while I flip it I occasionally blow the 500 ma fuse.

A test I use to see if I goofed up and blew the fuse is set the meter to AC and measure an outlet if I get a reading of exactly 1/2 of normal line voltage the fuse is kaput.

I bought like 14 from Digikey the prices Ratshack is charging are ridiculous.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Here:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102765

Other fuses would be either glass bodied or the wrong size and you don't want that. If the fuse was to shatter it would make a huge mess in the meter.
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                          I do not see where you reported the fuse size(s) or indicated the markings on the end caps as I asked. Those are important as fuse length and diameter will determine if it fits your meter.

You *could* *possibly* *maybe* use those fuses in other electronics, but why stock up? The likelihood of having the correct fuse in those assortments is slim. Assortments are usually a way for a manufacturer to get rid of excess inventory and overruns.

Better to buy what you need when you need it. Buying a 5 pack of the ones for the meter is not a bad investment. How many other fuses have you (ever) had to replace...?

Toast
                          Good point on the "buy what you need ,when you need it" comment. And I can't measure the fuse as I'm not home right now. But I got a look at it before I left, and it looks to be about 0.75 of an inch long.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                            Here:

Other fuses would be either glass bodied or the wrong size and you don't want that. If the fuse was to shatter it would make a huge mess in the meter.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't think I need two ceramics for the price of four glass fuses. And besides, I want to see when it blows. Also, I'm not too keen on the proper settings for a digital multimeter....so the chances of me making a mistake goes up. More fuses=less stressing over only having a few chances.

Comment

that would be the 5x20 type.
                              buy what krankshaft suggested.
                              ie

edit/ or buy glass one and protect it with some piece of plastic, in case it shatters...
                              it's not that glass will make short circuit in it, but it's mess if it brakes violently...so enclose it in some u shaped plastic, if you must save money so bad...
                              Last edited by i4004; 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

>>...it looks to be about 0.75 of an inch long<<

Then Krankshaft's remarks about the 5 x 20 mm size is correct, and your selection from RS is too.

>>...I'm not too keen on the proper settings for a digital multimeter...<<

There are several decent guides on using one on the web. A Google of "how to use a multimeter" returns a lot of choices. One simple one to remember is to always set it to the highest voltage range when you're done using it. In the case of an auto-ranging meter, always set it to volts.

Cheers!
                                Toast

Edit: Another hint is to tape a good fuse inside the case away from any circuitry. That way, if you blow the fuse, at least you'll have a spare handy. Just don't forget to restock the spare.
                                Last edited by Toasty; 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                                  Edit: Another hint is to tape a good fuse inside the case away from any circuitry. That way, if you blow the fuse, at least you'll have a spare handy. Just don't forget to restock the spare.
                                  hehe.. my trusty old Xerox 600T1616 DMM has an extra compartment for that

it's actually oder than i thought.. quality check stamp inside the battery cover says 4585 (week 45, year 1985)

Comment

Hehehe! Thought that looked elderly.

Sliding bar graph. Nice!

LOL - Made by Simpson for Xerox.
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Re: Recommend me a MultiMeter

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                      the dinosaur i'm using..
                                      Xerox (by Simpson) 600T1616

and yes.. that quality control stamp says week 45, 1985

still using it because the cheapo ones (like the one retiredcaps posted) don't last more than a couple weeks for me.. (at best)
                                      only drawback is that it eats 9V batteries like mad
                                      so better not forget to turn it off..

bought it for 10EUR on a flea market at least 6 years ago..
                                      Wow, that meter brings back some memories. I carried around the same one when I worked for Xerox over 25 years ago. It was one of the best meters made in it's time; If you pull up the Xerox 600T1616 label in the front, you'll see the actual manufacturer's name (Simpson). Xerox would later provide us with Fluke 87s... Branded of course with "XEROX" on the front.

Comment

I burned out a 2A fuse in my only "benchtop" meter once. Except this Viz WD750A multimeter had the darned fuse *soldered* into the meter (go figure) so I ended up adding an inline fuseholder for it. Grr.

Comment

Working...
                                        X