X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone,

I'm from Italy, I like fixing computers and laptops but I've sticked one easy things for a long time, atm I'd like to learn to do more and possibly fixing my laptop

Great job with this form!

Comment

Hi all,

I've been fixing TV's for a while now often doing it the wrong way by just swapping boards without much research and I end up hurting my wallet with wrong parts or incomplete fixes.

I've followed a few threads on here to troubleshoot a few TVs.

Great forum and resources guys.

Comment

More years ago than I care to remember I did a college course in Radio & Television Servicing before gaining employment at a local University where with others I was responsible for the repair, maintenance and building of electronic equipment used by or needed by the staff/students.

After many years I moved out of the workshop into administration which believe me is boring but paid the money.

I have since taken early retirement and have now returned to TV servicing or at least trying to keep my hand in.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Hello All!
          Been a tinkerer my whole life. Was that kid that had the new Christmas or birthday present tore apart to see what made it work before the siblings had finished unwrapping their stuff.
          Heard great things about this forum from a friend and looking forward to gleaning knowledge from you all and hopefully, helping someone else along the way with something I post.

Comment

Hello, My name is Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
              Hello my name is kevin

Comment

Hi guys,my name is Pete just decided to join your lovely forum. I found this place when I was searching the INTERNET just starting out in the electronic world hope to get some help from forum to help me on my way

Comment

Hello everyone I'm here!

Comment

Hi, just joining to learn from others successes and failures - so I don't make the same mistakes like replacing every board and paying more than the thing is worth. My first flat screen repair, but I've fixed a bunch of computers and related items. Now into IoT and having fun, but things are getting too small and I'm getting too old.

Comment

Hi, I'm Dan from just outside of Boston, and last night my Panasonic TCP50GT30 blew up. I joined this forum to gain insight into fixing it on the cheap. Looks like lots of great info here.

Comment

Hello,

I'm Alexander from Bulgaria. I like and do technical hobbies as electronics, woodworking, hi-fi audio. I've joined here because I am trying to repair a Syncmaster T190 monitor - hard one!

Best regards to everyone!

Comment

Hello,

Martin Scharnke; Lutheran pastor, MythTV and Linux enthusiast.
                          My Full-HD 32" Medion (ALDI) TV was just right for my needs - physical size and resolution. Emphasis on was (past tense).

Comment

Hello I've joined to gather some information about my 50in SONIQ Plasma TV. I've sent it to a repairer who got it partly repaired but hasn't really completed the job properly claiming that he needs to see the intermittent fault actually occurring. When in my possession the TV played up "every day" but after he's had it back at his workshop for 3 weeks he claims it's been running fine without any problems. I don't believe him and need to gather up enough evidence to confront him with it.

Comment

Hello,

My name is Jacob and I build PC's work on all manners of wireless point to point and point to multipoint networks. I fix broken electronics in my spare time and I am looking to expand my knowledge.

Comment

OK, I'm overwhelmed by all the expertise! Retired a long time but still repairing things when I am able. Like to see how it's done by other people who know more than I. So, I will be reading a lot and posting very little, unless I think it will add something to your accumulation of information. Looking forward to learning a thing or two!

Comment

Hello, A newb to post here but been lurking and reading for a few years. I am the family "fix it all" whether its iphone screens or bad pc viruses. Most recently I've been acquiring TVs that weren't working and fixing them for the family and friends. Very inexpensive way to get a nice TV in most cases. I'm stumped on a LED tv now so thought I would see if theres any ideas on it.

Its a Element LED tv (I know not best quality). The tv is slightly tilted forward and works great for hours and hours. If you tilt it back more to a straight up and down setting it turns off. I've never seen anything like it so just seeing if theres something simple I'm missing on it?

Comment

Hello. Having issues with my Panasonic Plasma, so here I am.

Craig T.

Comment

Last year I bought a junk lcd. 42 inch if remember correctly. Knew nothing about TV's but thought I was a big shot so let's try. Searched the web and somehow found BADCAPS.net and you guys, read the posts and viola, a working TV. (it was just 2 bulging capacitor) After that I was hooked. I thought I could fix any TV. I read a veteran that said "a working TV, how boring". I second that!!

I have now have been able, with your help, kept 32 Flat Screens out of the dump. Thanks to you folks.

A little about me. I broke my first IBM 386 in 1996. It was the Windows 4.1 type.

4 months later built my first computer. loaded Windows 95 yahoo and have built about 16 since. No profit, just because I enjoy it.

Now I see after Mom and Dad and fix TV's and sell them along with Craigslist and ebay selling stuff I buy at second hand stores.

I am a novice just learning how to test ic's. I am more a visual learner but I am trying to read the tutorials to learn.

That's probably enough about me.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. If I can, I will help as well.

Comment

Hi there!
                                        Let me join you from the Netherlands. I am Patrick, trying to repair stuff now and then. Great info you have here!

Comment

Hello, just joined and found this useless restriction.
                                          Joined due to some info I found on resetting bios passwords.

Comment

Working...
                                          X