Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung cost cutting.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=24065

Real nice to see that come out, working as a tech in peoples houses and seeing many dead samsung sets the past few years I already knew it of course.

Re: Samsung cost cutting.

Look at those bulged Samwha capacitors on that picture...

Manufacturers might also stop using Samwha once they see that Korean capacitors are not an par with Japanese.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I've seen Samwha caps on Samsung plasma displays all the way back to 2004.

One of my Toshiba projection TVs from 03 has them too and they've yet to bulge.

Then again a projection set has way more ventilation than any modern display as manufacturers pack more electronics into a smaller package and still try to use passive cooling.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        Look at those bulged Samwha capacitors on that picture...

Manufacturers might also stop using Samwha once they see that Korean capacitors are not an par with Japanese.
        more like "(Sam)Wha just happened man?"

samwha
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          more like "(Sam)Wha just happened man?"

and then maybe Sam sung a song about what happened.

Oh, if ohmly I had the capacity to resist the capacitor jokes
          Last edited by c_hegge; 02-24-2012, 04:53 AM.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post

and then maybe Sam sung a song about what happened.

Oh, if ohmly I had the capacity to resist the capacitor jokes
            I'd laugh but my funnybone has too high a resistance to your jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
              I've seen Samwha caps on Samsung plasma displays all the way back to 2004.
              Samwha don't always bulge... I've changed them in Samsung LCDs.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

it would be better if they use polymer capacitor..
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Are you crazy?! That would mean they would have to spend a few cents more on building the TV and they would end up with a product which actually lasts much longer than the warranty period

lol

That's clearly not what they want. They WANT them to fail, so average joe goes and buys a new one, cause "fixing it is too expensive"
                  (in comparison with a new junk TV that'll die the same way)

It's an endless cycle.

- Design a product (TV) that works as advertised and doesn't leave a bad taste in the users mouth, but use borderline components (caps) which make it last a bit longer than the warranty period with normal use, but not too much longer

- When it fails after the warranty ran out, the user will go out to buy a new one, preferably the same brand, as it "did work as advertised for years and had a good picture", instead of fixing the old unit because, again, getting it fixed in a shop is usually unfeasible compared to the cost of a new "disposable" TV -> the cycle continues..

My guess is that they use the caps as the "way to make it fail", cause the time it takes for it to fail is pretty constant, considering usage patterns and all.
                  A capacitor has a limited lifetime in a specific environment. If they instead used borderline diode packs or mosfets, it could fail at any time from overheating or otherwise (even early in the warranty period, which would be bad for your reputation)
                  An electrolytic capacitor will continuously degrade over time, till it's "not good enough" anymore specs wise, causing the whole device to stop working or work erratically. Much safer bet from a manufacturers point of view.

Regardless of which way it's done, it's still nothing more than showing your customers the middle finger.. "go buy a new one!"
                  Last edited by Scenic; 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM. Reason: formatting & typos

Comment

Some people don't try to repair their TV because it would mean that they would miss too many TV shows. They can go to Wal-Mart and buy a new TV and not miss more than an hour of television. Also, some TV repair shops intentionally make their labor costs so high that only TVs that are worth several hundred dollars or more are "worth repairing." By their logic, the TV that I repaired by replacing one cap should have been replaced by a Wal-Mart Special LCD TV that has such shitty scaling hardware that it is impossible to read text.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                      Also, some TV repair shops intentionally make their labor costs so high that only TVs that are worth several hundred dollars or more are "worth repairing." By their logic, the TV that I repaired by replacing one cap should have been replaced by a Wal-Mart Special LCD TV that has such shitty scaling hardware that it is impossible to read text.
                      If there is one message we would like to send to those shops, it's:

WHY should a friggin REPAIR SHOP encourage REPLACEMENT?????

Comment

Is this issue specific to North America?

(Officially, this is my 1000th post!)
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I have not checked my Samsung DLP TV for bad caps...sounds like something I should do!

Comment

you have to do a bunch circuit redesigns for polys. Most Polys don't have the higher voltage/cap that lytics do. Just use decent lytics. Ever notice there is like no 16V 1500 polys? Circuts in power boards (with some exceptions) require higher voltage filtering and polys just aren't made to handle high power/cap. Also you notice ESR is hardly ever a factor in caps used in power boards.

now this isn't completely true. High voltage REAL polys do exist, but usually have VERY low uf. You'll see more high voltage _functional_ polys. And i'm fairly sure, they might have to use more of these in series than lytics cause of such low uf, which actually does increase the price considering how expensive they are to begin with
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                            X