Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tested seller for dodgy caps, all seems good..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tested seller for dodgy caps, all seems good..

Hi, first post. Im a service tech for guitar related gear and hifi gear. Always looking for better pricing on more expensive parts.
    Was looking round epay for some 10000uf caps and found a guy, yes an oriental seller..seems most ads are from that part of the world.. so as i have been here when looking around for info on counterfeit stuff previously, i thought I'd grab 2 caps, as they were cheap enough, and have a look for myself!
    They arrived today after about 10 days shipping. Nippon Chemicon KMH. The ad was for a pair of 10000uf 63V 105 degrees caps, i asked them to send me a single 10k and a 22k instead, which they did.
    I use these a lot from Element, read nothing but good things regards the chemicon stuff, tho all the ones i get are brown.
    These are shiny black, the 10k is the same size as the 22k, tho the 10k is 80V and the 22k is 63V.
    They looked so good and were heavy, about right, that i was reluctant to cut them open, but got over that
    Ive not cut a cap of this capacitance open before, did with some guitar amp caps of far less capacitance. Took the black cover off, all looked good. Then cut the flat end off with a knife, there was like a heavy wax looking gear in that end but you could see the windings. Then cut the contact end off and saw the same thing. Two tabs from the snapon leads disappearing into the windings. I slit the cap open and emptied it out. Looked like it was immersed in a candle wax maybe 3mm thick all round, tho thin on one side. Unrolled the foil, which was quite long. Leads me to think they were genuine.
    I tested them first, and while the 22000uf tested low, it was within tolerance.
    The 10000uf which ive not opened up tested high, but again in tolerance.
    Seems like not all caps from china are dodgy? They were cheap tho.
    I gave him good feedback based on that. However i do not know the age, and there seems a lot of debate on the KMH stuff.These are 35mm diameter x 50mm height. Just thought i'd throw that out there. Wont post his epay crap cos i dunno if thats a done thing. WIll try and get some pics of the opened can up tho to see if it looks like the real deal!

Re: Tested seller for dodgy caps, all seems good..

Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM. Reason: Inline offsite images

Comment

Dodgy caps won't necessarily be "off" when they're brand new.

It's a bad electrolytic formula that shortens their lifespan (part of which is a degeneration in capacitance once in use).

Comment

Did you get any ESR tests? Also, this seller may well just be getting ones that are almost out of tolerance cheaper. Which is fine, of course.

Comment

Fixed the offsite inline images. Please upload your pictures using the "manage attachments" tool next time.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I would have failed that test, for the "X" vent. I'm not aware of Nippon Chemi-Con using that style of vent.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yeah maybe i wont be buying them. Will stay with farnell methinks!

Comment

I believe the KMH are brown sleeved, not black.

The X-vent gives it away that it is fake

Also, the KMH datasheet has a 80v 10mF listed, but NOT a 63v 22mF!!!
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

X vent, good to know.

Comment

Working...
                  X