Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Hey guys, the topic has wandered onto some new guys issues, so apologies if this is a distraction as it concerns the OP or at least one of the original posts! I bought 2x 3008wfpt about 5 years ago. I think they were nicked, because I disputed a set of 3 or four dead pixels and the guy I bought it off (for just 750 - these were FAR more back then) just sent me another and didn't ask for the first one back! So anyway, one of them broke after just six months, just didn't turn on one day so I dismissed it thinking easy-come easy-go. Second one lasted until a week ago and then also broke, same symptom.

I thought then about getting a whole new power circuit and was looking for one when I stumbled into this thread. So many people with the same D22 dead transistor, and suggested replacements just being a couple of pounds, I thought I'd give it a bash.

Ordered them Monday, they arrived yesterday, I followed the instructions posted here and now my monitor works again. Will try with the other monitor tomorrow.

Anyway, just really wanted to say thanks to everyone who is on this forum going to such efforts to help each other. I'm trying to think if I have anything to add, but really everything I figured out was mentioned here somewhere already.

Thanks all,
    Danny

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Danny. It's fulfilling to know that people all over the world are being helped. Keeping monitors from the landfills. And people are saving money. This is a great forum with outstanding experts such as Budm, Tom66, Retiredcaps, Selldoor, Rtech, and many others, that volunteer their time. We ALL appreciate your words of thanks. Cheers!

Comment

Just like to say a big thanks to everyone.
        Brought a dead 3008wfp to life, was the d22 diode

Comment

Also a happy man.
          Took some doing, but got my display back to life. I've got 4 more of those diodes if anyone wants them? Had a buy a 5 pack, but I'll hopefully never need them. PM me and we'll look at how we post them.
          Thanks again to everyone for posting on here. So pleased I got it working again!

Comment

Sorry if this ends up being a stupid question, whilst i can solder that seems to be the extent of my electronics knowledge... i have finally replaced D22 and almost have some life out of my monitor (so a big thank you to this forum to pointing me in the right direction!!!).

However i possibly (well definitely) knocked a part off of the board, it is labeled KA 431AZ H22. Whilst i have looked online to purchase a replacement, the closest i have been able to find is a KA 431AZ TA.

Now to the question... as i am unable to find any information on the KA 431AZ H22 I am unsure if the KA 431AZ TA is a suitable replacement. Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

Here is the part i knocked off, its labeled on the circuit board as IC14.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Squeed; 04-04-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Ok, I checked a spare board and the part number I have is TL431. I compared online datasheets with yours(KA431AZ). Both are programmable shunt regulators.
              I found one on eBay that should work for you.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KA431AZ-...ht_2127wt_1153

Salvaging the original part is always the best. I think you can still make it work. Here's what I'd do. Yours probably got bent back and forth and just fell off. But still works perfectly.
              Those 3 legs already extended out a little on top of the board. I'd clear the 3 holes, from solder and broken leads. Get some needlenose pliers gently bend the pins to fit. Even if it almost fits flush to the board now. Even if a leg doesn't completely go through. Solder them back in and if one is way short just poke a wire lead from another component through the hole from the bottom. Solder it to the short lead. Then check the legs for continuity by putting 1 probe on the bottom soldered area. And the other probe to the leg on top. If all 3 are good. you are good to go.
              Basically you are just connecting the 3 short leads of the Shunt Regulator to the traces (pads) on the bottom of the board.

I hate ordering and waiting for parts, then wondering if they will work. If I can make the original component work. I will

Comment

Thanks for the advice Lumberjack, unfortunately i broke the existing part pretty bad so ended up getting a new part. 5 minutes after installing the replacement KA 431AZ TA I was back up and running again.

Thank you all for your help and putting together a great set of instructions and advice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Squeed View Post
                  Thanks for the advice Lumberjack, unfortunately i broke the existing part pretty bad so ended up getting a new part. 5 minutes after installing the replacement KA 431AZ TA I was back up and running again.

Thank you all for your help and putting together a great set of instructions and advice!!!
                  Excellent! That is one fantastic monitor, and my personal favorite. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by kazkasneaiskaus View Post
                    Looks like fuse was damaged by these unisolated wires. I'll try to solder new wires like you suggested. Wish me good luck and wait for a news
                    Hello All,
                    I have the same problem as kazkasneaiskaus and some others here with my 3008, I have the blue led power light working as it should on and off, I also have the backlight working as it should, and like kazkasneaiskaus I also do not have a picture nor a menu, when I push the input select button I can see the BL go off as it switches input but no picture, I tried the flashlight just for the heck of it but as I have the BL working I do not think that falls into play here, also the unit puts off the same heat as it did when in full operation, I also tried all of the input types.

So after reading many post on here I disassembled the unit completely and went through everything looking for cold joints, blown caps, burnt or melted wires, etc. and surprisingly it has little to non existence dust wise, everything is in very nice shape with the exception of the "F1 63V 2A" fuse being blown, the wires all look great and no sign of deterioration, the F2 fuse checks out to be in working order in my case also, so I have ordered some smd 63V 2A fuses and will replace that piece, BUT my question is what caused that fuse to fail ?

A little info on what this unit has done over the years, it always has this crackling sound of the plastic as it would heat and cool, a design flaw I guess, also every once in a while the screen would go blank for say 2-4 seconds , it did it twice this year to date, prior to that it was maybe 8-12 times since new, maybe, I forget, but I then was thinking it was the graphics card in my machine, but I have since replaced my PC completely so it was not the graphics card after all, and now that I think about it I had updated the GC in the pc a few times, yet the 3008 would do this flicker here and there but it always came back within seconds, Saturday night it did not....

So if anyone has an idea as to why this fuse failed and knows what this fuse protects, Please let us Know.

Thank You All,
                    Giovanni Giovino
                    Montgomery NJ USA
                    120 Volts 60 HZ

ps. I tried to update my info but the site would not allow me too.

Comment

We'll need high quality pictures of the front and back of the power board and the main board. You'll need to unscrew the top of the heat sinks on the power board to be able to see the components. Click the > Go Advanced < then > Manage Attachments < buttons to attach photos. Thanks

Comment

Hi Forum,

This is my first post. Before I outline my issues with the Dell 3008 WFP, can I say I am blown away by the info and assistance here. It clearly has saved lots of time and dollars/pounds etc. Well done!

I also have a problematic 3008 WFP - and I was concerned I would need to buy a new monitor (looking at lots of $) or sending it to a professional repairer (looking at lots of $) - until I found this site and it gives me hope. But I'm realistic too.

I have not opened up my monitor yet - but it has started flickering, occasionally blanking and coming back, flicking to the right, have blurred screen, or sometimes has a line down the centre.

The blue power light stays on, and when it blanks, the little displayport on-screen icon re-appears.

Turning it off and on seems to fix it for a short while.

Question to the Forum - is likely the famous D22? or power supply? or caps?

I am sure I will need to can open the unit and take pics, have a look etc - but thought I would poll you for opinions based on symptoms.

Appreciate any input!

Comment

Originally posted by pmenadue View Post
                          I have not opened up my monitor yet - but it has started flickering, occasionally blanking and coming back, flicking to the right, have blurred screen, or sometimes has a line down the centre.

The blue power light stays on, and when it blanks, the little displayport on-screen icon re-appears.

Turning it off and on seems to fix it for a short while.

Question to the Forum - is likely the famous D22? or power supply? or caps?
                          That sounds a lot more like the main board.

When the D22 diode goes out you don't even have a blue led (on) light. And the monitor is dead.

You might get lucky, and find some bad caps on the main board.

We could also test the power outputs from the power supply.
                          Last edited by Lumberjack777; 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                            That sounds a lot more like the main board.

When the D22 diode goes out you don't even have a blue led (on) light. And the monitor is dead.

You might get lucky, and find some bad caps on the main board.

We could also test the power outputs from the power supply.

Thanks for your answer. Hmmm - I did read in some other forums that flickering could be power board, and I guess I will see when I open it up (I hope).

Could it be the inverter board (from what I understand these boards do it doesn't sound like it?)

Comment

6870C-0183D T-con lcd controller board

Comment

Yes bammbamm; T-Con is definitely a possibility also.

pmenadue - You'll need to open it up. And then we can check out your voltages and test points to determine exactly where the problem lies.

I had a post on how to properly disassemble the 3008 without cracking the LCD. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=351

And here's a nice guide with pictures. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18460501

Once you have it opened up; then get a digital multimeter and either myself, or bammbamm, or others can help you locate the problem area.

Comment

Hello all,

I bought and tried a "new" PSU from China for my Dell 3008wfp since I couldn't make the old one power on, even by changing the D22 diode. I can now turn the monitor on, I see the blue light of the power on button, I see the screen getting lit but I don't get any video signal from my computer (tried DVI and HDMI). I never get any message/letters/menu/indication on the screen and the rest of the monitor buttons do nothing. Once I got some vertical red faint lines but after a while they dissapeared.

Any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by gorg View Post
                                    Hello all,

I bought and tried a "new" PSU from China for my Dell 3008wfp since I couldn't make the old one power on, even by changing the D22 diode. I can now turn the monitor on, I see the blue light of the power on button, I see the screen getting lit but I don't get any video signal from my computer (tried DVI and HDMI). I never get any message/letters/menu/indication on the screen and the rest of the monitor buttons do nothing. Once I got some vertical red faint lines but after a while they dissapeared.

Any ideas ?
                                    If I disconnect the power cable for a while and retry I get a white screen after 3 secs, that slowly faints into a gradient that starts from black from the right side until the center and ends in deep blue at the left side of the screen. There a few red and black vertical lines and certain positions towards the left side of the screen. The power button stays blue. If I connect my macbook with a thunderbolt->VGA adaptor, the monitor is recognised as Dell 3000WFP but I get no video signal in it nor OSD menus.

Comment

If the original problem was no power, the chances are you didn't plug the LVDS cable and the one next to it in all the way.
                                      You'll need to open it up, and reattach those. The 2 in this picture. Also, check all connectors to and from the power board.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Lumberjack777; 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                                        If the original problem was no power, the chances are you didn't plug the LVDS cable and the one next to it in all the way.
                                        You'll need to open it up, and reattach those. The 2 in this picture. Also, check all connectors to and from the power board.
                                        I couldn't believe that was it! One of these 2 cables got partially unplugged while trying to put the back (holding the board and the psu) in place as the cables are rather short. It was from the other end (inside the monitors back). Regrettably I didn't take a photo while at it. Hint: check the pins of the sockets to make sure which way does the LVDS cable and its neighbour go (I had the monitor open for too long waiting for that extra PSU to arrive and couldn't remember the allignment).

The monitor seems to work now.

Thanks.

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks for your feedback

Comment

Working...
                                          X