Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Thank you again selldoor.

What i've noticed is that with DMM set to 1Mohms or 10Mohms range, i get a reading across 1-2 and 2-3 regardless of the polarity of my leads.

On 1Mohms range i get :
    1-2 and 2-3 0.017Mohm
    1-2 and 2-3 0.029Mohm Reversed leads

On 10Mohm range i get :
    1-2 and 2-3 0.02Mohm regardless of lead polarity

I don't see this on lower ohm ranges.

Cheers

Comment

Just an update...

I've replaced D22 and got power back.
      But...
      Now, only the top half of the screen works fine... the bottom half is black and displaying faint vertical lines across the entire witdh of the screen.
      I have dismantled the screen one again and checked all connections which seem fine.

Any ideas ?

Comment

Check the TMDS cable, isolation is perhaps damaged

Comment

Originally posted by vvulture View Post
          Just an update...

I've replaced D22 and got power back.
          But...
          Now, only the top half of the screen works fine... the bottom half is black and displaying faint vertical lines across the entire witdh of the screen.
          I have dismantled the screen one again and checked all connections which seem fine.

Any ideas ?
          When assembling you have 2 cables that connect inside the heat shield. It's common to knock one partially loose when connecting the 2nd one. You need to get back under the heat shield and make sure those 2 cables are firmly plugged in. I usually add a piece of tape just to keep them plugged in.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh well... thank you to all of you who tried to help, but its the end of the road for this Dell monitor.
            Whilst trying to figure out the half-screen issue, my finger slipped onto one of the brown ribbon cables on top edge of screen and damaged it, causing a white line running from top to bottom on the screen. No coming back from this..

I did fix the PSU though.. might get something on ebay for it since they are so rare..

Cheers

Comment

That is a bummer so close to success. You can try putting some packing between the ribbon connector and the frame - some some have had varying success.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by vvulture View Post
                Oh well... thank you to all of you who tried to help, but its the end of the road for this Dell monitor.
                Whilst trying to figure out the half-screen issue, my finger slipped onto one of the brown ribbon cables on top edge of screen and damaged it, causing a white line running from top to bottom on the screen. No coming back from this..

I did fix the PSU though.. might get something on ebay for it since they are so rare..

Cheers
                Oh, my condolences(( I wish that attempt to restore contact, pressing a loop, I was crowned with success. But if nevertheless decide to sell the monitor on spare parts - would get Tcon payment.

Comment

If who near at hand has this monitor and an oscillograph - a request, look that occurs on the inverter block TP33 and TP44 control points. I suspect that at my monitor with a chain of dynamic adjustment of contrast some problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kazkasneaiskaus View Post
                    It is 2A and 63v it's written under it.
                    However I noticed another big problem. The cable wich connects the main bord to video imputs board is totally broken. It looks like all wires isolation is crubled. How could it happen? Heat? Sometimes when you search for small things you do't note an obvious things.
                    I have had this same problem and tried to find replacement wires but cant seem to find any....has anyone ever????

As soon as you muck around inside the insulation just crumbles off these wires and it ends up shorting everything out..
                    I am not even sure if replacing it will even fix it after the fact..
                    Last edited by chaztek; 05-15-2015, 07:09 PM. Reason: trying to attach picture...CANT

Comment

I hope you can attach a picture because I don't quite understand this statement.....

"The cable wich connects the main bord to video imputs board is totally broken. It looks like all wires isolation is crubled. How could it happen? Heat? Sometimes when you search for small things you do't note an obvious things."

The video inputs are attached to the main board. You mean the cables going to the Tcon board, from the main board?

Make sure your attachment falls within the guidelines. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

I might have one of those cables lying around somewhere.

Comment

Hey, I took apart a 3008wfp yesterday, found the issue in the attached photo. I have never seen cables do this before, so I was quite disheartened when I realized this was the source of my 'monitor turns on but no display' issue.

Before I go and attempt to reheatshrink this cable, does anyone have a spare one, or a project 3008wfp that they gave up on, that they would be willing to sell me this cable from?

Hoping for some Luck!

Attached Files

Comment

Today is your lucky day!

Since you provided a picture, I can check through all my cables, and I'm sure I have a spare somewhere.

Send me a PM, and I'll find one tomorrow afternoon at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by valkyr View Post
                            Hey, I took apart a 3008wfp yesterday, found the issue in the attached photo. I have never seen cables do this before, so I was quite disheartened when I realized this was the source of my 'monitor turns on but no display' issue.

Before I go and attempt to reheatshrink this cable, does anyone have a spare one, or a project 3008wfp that they gave up on, that they would be willing to sell me this cable from?

Hoping for some Luck!

WTF!!????? I have never seen or heard of that happening before.

I'm guessing someone in the plastics factory in China did something really stupid with the mixture.... haven't seen anything like that since those ancient rubber-insulated mains cords that 'melt'.... Dell should be sued for a fire hazard!

Should be pretty easy to just pop the contacts out of the connector housing though, and solder brand new wires onto them, than replacing the whole cable with one that might just do the same thing...
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Alright Agent24. You fix him up. Wasn't real keen about searching drawers, then shipping internationally anyways. Sounds like a plan. Just tryin to help the guy out liked he asked for.
                              Last edited by Lumberjack777; 06-12-2015, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Right? Isn't that strange?

I will double check when I get home today, but when I was looking at it earlier, it didn't look like I could pop those that easily without breaking somethings. The side in the photo is easy enough, but the other side is a very tight 'ribbon like' connector.
                                But I'm always willing to try something new. Having a good one sent to me was just going to be the easier option for me Less work.

I will try to repair, and send you a PM, Lumberjack, if i get defeated with my current cables.
                                Also if you require a better picture, I can get that for you later today as well.
                                Thanks for the reply's.

Comment

Hmm... Can you show some photos of the other connector?

If you do go to replace the wires, might be good idea to only go one at a time, so you don't mix any up - I wouldn't know if they are all wired in sequence or not!

EDIT: Is it the LVDS cable for the LCD panel?

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                                  Alright Agent24. You fix him up. Wasn't real keen about searching drawers, then shipping internationally anyways. Sounds like a plan. Just tryin to help the guy out liked he asked for.
                                  Sorry, wasn't saying your idea was bad or anything, just giving another option... as I was concerned that cable from another same monitor is probably going to have the same problem.
                                  Last edited by Agent24; 06-12-2015, 03:34 PM.
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Sure. Here's a couple. Going to try posting from my phone, haven't done this before.

Attached Files

Comment

Ok then, I'll be plan B.

Plan A is the faster, cheaper, and possibly longer lasting way. Good luck!

Comment

You should be able to take the wires out by sliding something with a thin pointed end (like a sewing pin\needle etc) under the plastic tab and pulling on the wire. See photo.

That should get the wires out, but it will probably be real fun to solder new ones to the contacts. I hope you are good at soldering...!

Another idea may be to cut off the original wire but leave a little still connected, and solder the new wire to that. You may need to use heatshrink to cover the join but it would have to be quite thin so it can fit into the connector housing as there is probably not much room.

Tricky but doable I reckon...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, cutting the wires a few cm from the connector and replacing them, then using heatshrink for the old portion of wire probably makes more sense and would likely be easier...
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Agent24; 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM.
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Took a little vacation and came back yesterday.
                                          Decided to heat shrink and electrical tape the wires apart just to test out and see if this would fix before I sought a more permanent solution.

Turns out, the wires were either a symptom of another problem, or when they touched, they took out something else.

Since the problem is not visual (no bad caps) that about does it for my electrical troubleshooting skill.
                                          Any suggestions?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X