X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help ID'ing a diode - T2D85

Hi all -

I have a TV SMPS with a bad diode.

The marking around the component body is "T2D85" but i haven't been able to find a datasheet for it.

The diode is a through hole axial. The body is black. The band and text is a dark red color.

Edit: I have a replacement part for U101 coming next week from Digi-Key.
    Attached Files
    -Thomas
    I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Re: Need help ID'ing a diode - T2D85

What is wrong with the diode? It can be a TVS diode and they can check open. If it is checking shorted in circuit it could be due to the shorted ic
    Last edited by R_J; 03-15-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I removed it to check for shorts in the supply circuit for U101. While i had it out, I noticed that the diode doesn't beep with the meter in diode mode - no forward drop.
      -Thomas
      I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

I find the root part number for T2 diode is ST02D as a Shindengen "trankiller" TVS zener+diode inside. So a T2D85 is 85V ST02D-85 and would test open-circuit unless you can test it past 85V.

I don't think it's a rectifier diode but would have to see the schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          I find the root part number for T2 diode is ST02D as a Shindengen "trankiller" TVS zener+diode inside. So a T2D85 is 85V ST02D-85 and would test open-circuit unless you can test it past 85V.

I don't think it's a rectifier diode but would have to see the schematic.

Thanks for the lead! I'll look into the PN you identified.
          -Thomas

Comment

check the symbol underneath it

Comment

Originally posted by ngth82 View Post
              I removed it to check for shorts in the supply circuit for U101. While i had it out, I noticed that the diode doesn't beep with the meter in diode mode - no forward drop.
              These type of diodes don't "BEEP", they are usually two internal diodes with common cathode
              Attached Files
              Last edited by R_J; 03-15-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. The board symbol for this component is the same as the one immediately south of the red box from the pic in Post #1.

I just realized that i didn't post the board number information.

This is a LGIT SMPS board for a Philips TV. Board PCB PN: 2300KEG031A-F

Funny, Coppell TV Repair also mentions that U101 is a common failure (which this appears to be the case):LINK
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ngth82; 03-15-2020, 04:27 PM.
                -Thomas

Comment

I think OP's could be a ST02D-82 (note datasheet wrong 67V spec). Mouser sells them.

It looks like other people mistakenly think these T2D snubber diodes "power clampers" are open-circuit, when they are just HV zener plus diode:
                  looking for T2D80 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=20211&page=2
                  Sony Diode T2D98 ST02D-140 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=54016&page=2
                  T2D98 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=671655
                  T2D40 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...067#post221067

Comment

Also, looks like this component sits across the two terminals of the transformer that bridges the hot and cold side of the SMPS. I removed the transformer and checked for shorts across the three separate windings. The transformer to be okay.
                    -Thomas

Comment

That TVS (HV zener) diode (D106A) is across the primary, In some cases they use a UF4007 for D106 and have C103 and R102 populated which are in series with the uf4007 fast recover diode.
                      Last edited by R_J; 03-15-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Update: The FSQ510 arrived and was replaced on the SMPS.

The TV fires up and appears to work.
                        Attached Files
                        -Thomas

Comment

Working...
                        X