Cash Register displaying an error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash Register displaying an error

Hello , so my mom is working in a shop and the cash register (the type that works via GPRS ) is displaying an error and beeping constantly , it says e920 on screen... I have found absolutely 0 information about cash registers in general online... cant even find a repair shop that deals with cash registers. Anywany the manufacturer is some weird company in serbia called Telefonija , the model is junior... if anyone has any information regarding this machine or similar pls help...
    I have given it a clean and everything but still nothing...

Re: Cash Register displaying an error

"e920" - gotta love these asshole programmers acting like it's the 1980's
    it's not like they dont have enough memory to display a full error message these days!

Comment

If it is or has a credit card terminal, these devices are often set up so that if you take it apart, there's a switch that trips and bricks the device. If that's the case, you probably can't repair it yourself unless you have access to the proprietary tools to reset it.

Comment

Ye i managed to find a company that services these machines and he sent me a picture saying that this code means that there is a problem with the ram memory... after a couple rude phone conversations i found a helpful one that is

Its interesting that you say that , first when i got it , it displayed e820 and after opening it , i actually found that one of the ribbon cables was not fully inserted... i put all back together after cleaning the connections and the whole assembly (it was very dirty), and it displayed a different error , and also there was a switch on the lower part of the board, so yea i might have bricked it but it doesnt matter since it didnt work anyway...
        Taking it to a place that deals with these crap machines tomorrow... Also i found it very interesting that there is absolutely 0 information about these errors online , yet some service ppl ("official") have a freaking handbook on all of these errors and how to fix them , and alot of the fixes include pressing 2 buttons ... This seems very fishy and like a way to grab money from people . Slimy fucks.

Anyway in the manual that this guy sent me says that my ultimate thing to do is to replace the board ... this makes me really sad and angry...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          "e920" - gotta love these asshole programmers acting like it's the 1980's
          it's not like they dont have enough memory to display a full error message these days!
          You're assuming the error message would make sense to Joe Average. Or, that the point in the code where it is detected can be irrefutably traced to a particular hardware fault.

If I write code like:

Code:
          if (denominator != 0) {
            average = divide(numerator, denominator)
          }
          then I have adequately covered the case of dividing by zero.

However, if the "denominator" argument "drops a bit" as it is passed THROUGH MEMORY to the divide() function and, thus, appears as "0", then the divide() function can throw an error (because it "double checks" that it doesn't try to do something stupid -- like get into an endless loop -- based on the parameters that it is given).

Now, did the programmer forget to put that "check if zero" test in BEFORE invoking the divide() function? Or, did the VERIFIED AS NONZERO value magically change to a zero in transit -- "bad RAM"?

Occam's Razor suggests the former case -- in which case, there's nothing Joe Average could do with the information "divide by zero error" -- cuz he can't rewrite the code!

I currently pass "line numbers" (effectively) in my code indicating WHERE the error was detected to an AI that determines the likely cause of each error -- along with potential remedies -- so that it can take action (flag the code as having a bug, tell the user to reseat cable 43B, etc.)

But, mine is a far more "capable" system than a cash register...

Comment

"nvram checksum failure" is a pretty clear message.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              "nvram checksum failure" is a pretty clear message.
              But that's not the case, in this example:

this code means that there is a problem with the ram memory
              Does it mean a stuck data line? Address decoding error? Single bad RAM cell?

And, what remedy should it suggest if NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE? ("return to factory for repair") It's a CASH REGISTER, not a piece of gear that you'd expect an engineer/technician to be using (and, thus, possibly SERVICING)

Comment

Originally posted by sigmeyer View Post
                Also i found it very interesting that there is absolutely 0 information about these errors online , yet some service ppl ("official") have a freaking handbook on all of these errors and how to fix them , and alot of the fixes include pressing 2 buttons ... This seems very fishy and like a way to grab money from people . Slimy fucks.
                I can show you detailed documents that describe the various parameters that "you" can alter in an ECU. Should the automakers publish those documents so that the consumer (customer) can tinker with the ECUs in their own vehicles?

Note that the "pressing 2 buttons" might not FIX the error. Rather, it might just CLEAR the error -- which could possibly get reasserted a minute later.

Knowing how to treat PARTICULAR errors when designing a device is a bit of "art" and "science". It's much easier to come up with a conservative strategy (latch all errors) and rely on some "knowledgeable individual" to respond to that error ("Yeah, that sort of error happens from time to time. I reset it for you. Let me know if it reappears as it could be something more serious...")

Comment

Originally posted by sigmeyer View Post
                  Hello , so my mom is working in a shop and the cash register (the type that works via GPRS ) is displaying an error and beeping constantly , it says e920 on screen... I have found absolutely 0 information about cash registers in general online... cant even find a repair shop that deals with cash registers. Anywany the manufacturer is some weird company in serbia called Telefonija , the model is junior... if anyone has any information regarding this machine or similar pls help...
                  I have given it a clean and everything but still nothing...
                  This till ? https://fiskom.rs/detalji-proizvoda/...a-kasa-junior/

There are downloads to the user manual with error codes and a program to read the memory in the resister.

Comment

Yeah , that user manual is just used for set up and some basic errors... It speaks nothing about "e920"... My point was that there are handbooks with all of these errors and an fairly easy fix to them, and they would probably charge people money for doing these easy fixes.

Comment

Working...
                    X