Jet AFS-1000B Air Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jet AFS-1000B Air Cleaner

Success! I replaced C3 and am now getting 5.1 VDC with about 5 mV of ripple. I seems our forum is well named. Bad capacitors have been the cause of two of my electronics problems and probably more. I have now run the air cleaner for over an hour without shutting down. Thanks to everyone for all their thoughts, effort, and advice.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up on the repair.
      BTW, what DCV did you get before you changed the C3?
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I didn't record the voltage. I think it was a little over 5 volts. However, the ripple was substantially more - about 60 mV. Both times the voltage was measured with the control board out of the air cleaner, i.e. no load on the triac.

Comment

Thanks for all this information on this forum! My neighbor also has the JET and he recently (Nov 2017) tried to fix it by replacing the board (for $80) that he bought around 2015. Unfortunately, he didn't screw down the board (just wanted to see quickly if it worked) and the fan sucked it towards metal and the sparks did fly! The board is really messed up; blew some PC runs, fried some resistors, and blew apart (like into 2 pieces) one of the Triacs.
          Anyhow, I have this 'fried' board Rev 1.1 and the original defective board Rev 1.0 and I think given this info that I can get one of them to work; I'm focusing on the original board since it is intact. I replaced all 3 Triacs on the Rev 1.0 board (they really aren't very expensive, like under $1 each, and upgrade from 400v to 600v) and suspect the 2200uf 10v 'slightly bulging' capacitor so it will get replaced as well. (I did unsolder the capacitor and it seemed to be ok, but I'll replace just to be sure.) I'll check the board out carefully at the bench to be sure the power supply and IC is working before putting it back into service. The photo of the old board is exactly like Elmo's post above.
          I noticed that his new board is REV:1.1 and they made some changes. The Triacs were changed to 600v, not sure if this was because you can't get 400v anymore or for some other reason. Also instead of 2x BTA08 they went to one BT137-600E (for M pin) and one BTA08-600C (for L pin). BT139X-600F still used for the S pin. Also there are circuit changes that I have not traced out. They also changed the IC to an 18 pin device "SN8P2612PB 145CATD11", and they added some resistors and capacitors too.
          As I'm focusing on the old board, I probably won't work on this one Rev 1.1 unless I can't get the old one working again, for example if the IC is dead.
          Again, thanks for the input from this board - very helpful!

Comment

c2 being marginal could do this too.
            motor drops the line voltage slightly and micro resets.
            measuring across c3 while starting the fan may reveal this.
            or just replace c2 and c3.

Comment

My JET AFS-500B (looks like the same board as the 1000B) was making grumbling noises on startup and not really getting up to speed so initially I assumed that the bearings in the fan had dried up (it's about 16 years old), but on giving the rotor a spin by hand it ran for ages with no mechanical noise, so I had a search and arrived here.

I've been familiar with ESR problems for many years - when I first fixed power supplies with high ESR capacitors it was just like magic! I had a Bob Parker ESR meter and more recently have been using a Peak Atlas ESR70 ESR meter.

So, took the board out and firstly visually checked the Cs (C1 and C3) for cracks bulges etc. All looked OK so tested their ESR: C1 0.94uF/0.60 ohms, and C3 590.4uF/0.16 ohms. Not what I was expecting, ie they measured OK!

Powered up the board and found 2.6V across C3, where I'd be expecting something like 5V or so, with a 5V6 zener close by. Despite the low volts across C3 the board seemed to work fine; the control buttons did what they were expected to do and so did the LEDs. However this was without the motor connected, as it was still in the cabinet mounted high in the workshop.

So, long story short, the actual problem was the two-pin connector for the AC-in, marked AC1 and AC2. While gently flexing the components and looking at the solder side I noticed that the connector had been soldered in without the pins being square to the board, so the tips of the pins were only attached to the board with a thin film of solder, and when wiggled a bit the solder broke away.

I desoldered the connector, cleaned the pads etc and resoldered it correctly. This now gave me 5.2VDC across C3 so I confidently got up the ladders again to refit it to the cabinet. PAT tested it (don't forget the earth wire from the earth stud to the motor). Powered it up and...

All sorted!
              Last edited by Gromit20; 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM. Reason: Clarity and grammar

Comment

you shouldnt pat-test electronics, the input stage often isnt rated for more than 400v

you dont need to anyway, firstly there is no legal requirement to pat-test anything - it's a scam-industry.
                second, it's only for portable devices - hence the name "portable appliance test" and is targetted at the flex and it's entry into the device more than anything.

i look forward to someone trying to rebutt this so i can post a link to the government website!!

Comment

Whilst not a legal requirement, ensuring all devices are PAT tested have been a requirement for insurance in several places I've worked. Both the device and flex are tested.
                  That air cleaner is a portable device. It's got a carrying handle on the top.

Comment

What parts are under the big heat sink
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                    X