Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote control board problem

Hello,

I have this remote for around 10 years. worked fine. few days ago some buttons stopped working. well, buttons are fine because when i try to use same buttons on other positions on board they are working - after disassembling i tried buttons over the board.

i do not have any experience fixing remotes (like I have for other things, hah) and i will probably get replacement for it, but i am trying to tighten time out especially because of this epidemic situation.

i tested board in diode mode and buttons are working, they show some ohm values, like all other buttons, but ir signal is not sent and on remote have nice feature - led light turning on after every press of buttons. these buttons do not trigger light nor ir signal.
    also I noticed some kind of scratch on board but do not know does it have anything with a problem.

anyone have idea what to do?

thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by selfrepairing; 03-25-2020, 12:37 AM. Reason: problems with attachments

Re: Remote control board problem

looks like a broken / damaged trace to me.

Comment

It could be a broken trace, it's hard to tell from the picture. With remotes, I'll usually lightly clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. That will usually get them working again. If it is a broken trace, cleaning it shouldn't make it any worse. If it is a broken trace you might get away with soldering in a very small gauge wire from two traces (follow the trace down and to the right). Looks light a straight shot (up and down) between the S10 and S11 markings that shouldn't interfere with the buttons.

Edit: I'm not actually sure there should be a trace there, I think there might just be a gap there, both of those traces may come from above.
      Last edited by clearchris; 03-26-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Is that a crack on the trace just to the left of the S15 text?

Comment

Can you take another picture of the remote without a flash? Maybe move to a window and snap a new pic.

I don't think that is a broken trace. Remotes are setup as a grid and share common lines between buttons.

I second the contact cleaning - use isopropyl on the PCB and on the rubber section (bottom side of the rubber the button).
          Attached Files
          -Thomas
          I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Hello all, thanks on a kind replies and on yours time.

Very hard to take a photo of this board. Lots of reflection. I cleaned already board with alcohol 96% and there wasnt lot of dirt or humidity on it. As I said, i used not working buttons on a working pcb contacts and all is working, but when I use working buttons on nonworking pcb contacts these contacts do not work.

in a diode mode I checked s1 to s8 (not working) and, pardon me i am amateur and novice, i presume all are connected with negative trace and all is OK.

also, in a same mode I traced, presuming positive, trace and for all pins from S1 to S8 trace goes to chip (or whatever it is, hhah) to pins 22 to 15, as on picture. I do not know is this important, just got new multimeter with beep feature, and I got beep for all except for 2 of this pins but I got measured values, for example s4 no beep.

so, maybe at the end, problem can be with failure of chip? I will try to clean contacts with rubber aka eraser but I cant find box with good ones.

Here are photos, hope some are readable.
            Attached Files

Comment

Follow the traces from a non working button to che chip and try to short them.
              BTW you can probably find the exact remote new on aliexp for few bucks...
              Last edited by Dumah Brazorf; 03-27-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X