PNY Geforce Ti4200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNY Geforce Ti4200

bought off ebay but before testing I replaced the Canicon caps with Nichicon HM. Works like a champ in a Dell Dimension 4100.
    Attached Files
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: PNY Geforce Ti4200

Cool! At least there shouldn't be any bad caps on there now!

The GeForce 4 Ti 4200, the ones where the 64 MB VRAM versions have better clocking VRAM than the 128 MB VRAM versions, IIRC!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
      bought off ebay but before testing I replaced the Canicon caps with Nichicon HM. Works like a champ in a Dell Dimension 4100.
      What windows version you using on there, how did it work before?

Could i see pictures of the underside of the board, how did you get it soldered on there, that is an old card, you must be using windows XP?
      http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

Awesome work, BigT!
        Old video cards like these are getting more rare. Nice to see another one get saved.

I imagine this is for some retro/older gaming setup? The Ti4200 is still pretty decent card FWIW. Beats the Radeon 8500 cards and isn't far behind the Ti4400. Great for OpenGL, DX7, DX8, and early DX9 games.
        Last edited by momaka; 02-12-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
          What windows version you using on there, how did it work before?

Could i see pictures of the underside of the board, how did you get it soldered on there, that is an old card, you must be using windows XP?
          sorry late reply actually using Windows ME on it since that is what dell put on it from the factory and had a ME restore disk, I never tried the card with the canicon caps or even powered it up, just went straight to the recap.
          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Awesome work, BigT!
            Old video cards like these are getting more rare. Nice to see another one get saved.

I imagine this is for some retro/older gaming setup? The Ti4200 is still pretty decent card FWIW. Beats the Radeon 8500 cards and isn't far behind the Ti4400. Great for OpenGL, DX7, DX8, and early DX9 games.
            Yes been using it with GTA vice city and GTA 3 also I have all early 3d marks on it 99, 2000, and 2001 with a Pentium /// 1ghz runs them all fine.

Comment

Very cool! I remember once upon a time a friend gifted me a Ti4200 after he upgraded. He was into overclocking, and the caps started to fail, soon. But I recapped and was back in business. I seem to recall also getting a free 8800 GTS from the same guy, whi slipped with a screw driver and cut a couple traces, while beginning to disassemble in lieu of heatsink upgrades. He thought he ruined his new card, but gave it to me in case I could fix it. I told him I wasn't sure how likely it was but I'd try sometime. Soldered some strands of copper phone wire across the traces, and got a massive, free upgrade out of that. I dont think I mentioned I fixed it until he brought it up again several months later. XD
              Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
                Very cool! I remember once upon a time a friend gifted me a Ti4200 after he upgraded. He was into overclocking, and the caps started to fail, soon. But I recapped and was back in business. I seem to recall also getting a free 8800 GTS from the same guy, whi slipped with a screw driver and cut a couple traces, while beginning to disassemble in lieu of heatsink upgrades. He thought he ruined his new card, but gave it to me in case I could fix it. I told him I wasn't sure how likely it was but I'd try sometime. Soldered some strands of copper phone wire across the traces, and got a massive, free upgrade out of that. I dont think I mentioned I fixed it until he brought it up again several months later. XD
                Nice story! the 8800GTS was a killer card and was the 3rd fastest card at the time after the 8800GTX and GTX ULTRA, I remember buying mine in late 07 at circuit city for $274, I got the 320mb version as the 640mb was alot more!

Comment

Yes been using it with GTA vice city and GTA 3 also I have all early 3d marks on it 99, 2000, and 2001 with a Pentium /// 1ghz runs them all fine.
                  I like it!
                  The CPU is well-matched to the capabilities of that card.

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
                  I seem to recall also getting a free 8800 GTS from the same guy, whi slipped with a screw driver and cut a couple traces, while beginning to disassemble in lieu of heatsink upgrades.
                  Soldered some strands of copper phone wire across the traces, and got a massive, free upgrade out of that.
                  That was a very nice card back in the day, and for a good number of years too.

I remember buying mine in late 07 at circuit city for $274, I got the 320mb version as the 640mb was alot more!
                  That's funny.

I had a friend in high school who went almost an entire year without lunch just to save for a Radeon 9800 Pro. Got his from Circuit City as well, IIRC (which is where he used to work at the time.) This was back in the early 2000's (2003 or 2004). I think he bought it for around $300 or a little more. Used it for a few years and played every game he wanted on high settings. I remember him saying he even finished Crysis (the 1st one) on it. It didn't run very good (barely on minimum settings, really), but he was happy that it ran, at least.

At the same time, I have another friend who in high school bought an Alienware PC in late 2006 (or was it 2007) with a 8800 Ultra in it. He wanted to get that high-end card so much that he had completely overlooked the RAM. Ended up with 1 GB of DDR2 on a PC meant for games... with Windows Vista. Yeah, you know how that went. Wasn't long before he shelled out more money to upgrade the RAM. Win Vista before the service pack / updates and 1 GB of RAM was... a terribly slow experience at best. After upgrading the RAM (not sure if 2 GB or 4), it actually ran quite well. Was a nice gaming PC and he enjoyed it for a while... until it got stolen. Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                  X