Dell U2715H intermittent stripes on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell U2715H intermittent stripes on screen

Hello folks - I am intermittently getting vertical stripes on my monitor and I am wondering whether the symptoms point to the monitor or the GPU. I have already swapped the cable and ports used.

Monitor : Dell U2715H, 2560x1440, 60Hz, HDMI
    GPU : ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti 11Gb OC, purchase date 2017, air cooler, non-overclocked

The issue occurs on Wake from Sleep very intermittently, about once every two weeks and is not predictable. It is resolved by either a reboot of the PC or by powering the monitor off and on again. This always clears it. Once the screen is awake and displaying correctly, it stays working as expected.

When on a DP cable, the problem occurs at the same frequency but is accompanied by a once or twice a day "screen blanks and comes back in 2 seconds" problem. Having switched to an HDMI cable that blanking issue does not happen.

Very rarely the issue is only visible on the bottom half of the monitor with the top half being correct. I do not have a picture of that happening. When it did, there was a browser window that straddled the lower garbled half. I dragged the browser about and it moved so the display was not frozen. The corrupted portion that had been painted onto the browser stayed with the browser and moved with it. This may point to a GPU issue.

I am unsure if it is more likely to be a monitor PSU caps issue or a GPU memory controller issue. The closeup picture shows the patterns to be somewhat regular.

I have not tried frequently sleeping and waking the PC to force the problem to be more frequent.

Any thoughts on where to point the finger or what to test?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell U2715H intermittent stripes on screen

I should add since I forgot, the monitor dates from around 2017 too.

Comment

Working...
    X