Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer VXS-D902S Reciever - Filter Capacitor Question

Hello,

I have a Pioneer VSX-D902S receiver that I am trying to replace the 2 large 8200uF 80V filter capacitors on.

I have already removed the capacitors and ordered replacements, but I made a mistake in ordering. The original capacitors are Pioneer ACH1202 80v 8200uF and have 4 pins. The capacitor replacements I bought are Nichicon 80v 8200uF and only have 2 pins.

I was wondering if I could still use my replacements even though they only have 2 pins. Obviously I'd have to extend the pins of the capacitor to allow them to reach and fit through the holes in the PCB, but I just wanted to make sure that it would be safe to do so judging by the additional information I have below.

Here is a side-by-side image of the original capacitor and my replacement. The original is on the left and my replacement is on the right.

Here is the relevant section of the service manual (found on page 54, although the image is mirrored in the manual. Need to use an image editing program to flip the image so it's readable) for these two caps:

And here is an image of the board with both caps removed:

And here is the full service manual:

Re: Pioneer VXS-D902S Reciever - Filter Capacitor Question

Sure, but a more professional look and also secure mounting would be had by drilling new holes so the new caps actually fit
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      Sure, but a more professional look and also secure mounting would be had by drilling new holes so the new caps actually fit
      Hi there.

Thanks for the suggestion of drilling new holes. I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that because for one, I've never done that before and two, how do I know that I'm not drilling through some traces for various circuits that might be within the layers of the PCB?

My idea was to cut off some capacitor pins from a new electrolytic cap and solder those on to the pins of my 80v filter caps to extend them and then bend them in a way where they reach the existing holes in the board and solder them in place as usual. Then to secure the caps so they don't move much, I was trying to decide between using a lot of UV solder mask, an adhesive such as B6000, or regular silicone caulking one might use in their kitchen or bathroom. Although it might not necessarily have the best visual appearance, the main goal here is functionality and safety. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether it would work and if it would be safe.

It looks to me (according to my interpretation of the schematic), that the two extra pins on the original capacitors aren't connected to anything at all. They are just purely for stabilizing the large caps so they won't wobble around. I did check those pins on the board to see if they were connected to ground and they were not. I checked to see if they were connected to the anode side of the cap and they were not. The schematic doesn't appear to show them being connected to anything else, so would I be right in my assumption that they are just "anchor points" to stabilize the large caps?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by grimacelord View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion of drilling new holes. I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that because for one, I've never done that before and two, how do I know that I'm not drilling through some traces for various circuits that might be within the layers of the PCB?
        Old stereo stuff is simple, always single layer so there is no problem to drill it, you can always confirm it with a strong flashlight from behind the board...
        Originally posted by grimacelord View Post
        It looks to me (according to my interpretation of the schematic), that the two extra pins on the original capacitors aren't connected to anything at all. They are just purely for stabilizing the large caps so they won't wobble around. I did check those pins on the board to see if they were connected to ground and they were not. I checked to see if they were connected to the anode side of the cap and they were not. The schematic doesn't appear to show them being connected to anything else, so would I be right in my assumption that they are just "anchor points" to stabilize the large caps?
        Yes this is correct and it is the reason why I suggest to drill new holes: it will be hard to make a stable (vibration proof) mount of the new capacitors in any other way.
        People do otherwise make adapter PCB's to mount capacitors, I linked such a thread below.
        Do read it and check if the idea redwire came up with in post #11 can be used here, i.e. does the new cap reach any two holes in the PCB?
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...656#post845656
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          Do read it and check if the idea redwire came up with in post #11 can be used here, i.e. does the new cap reach any two holes in the PCB?
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...656#post845656
          Thanks for the link! I was able to use redwire's idea of running a jumper diagonally to the "mounting" holes from the anode/cathode. After soldering everything in place, it seemed pretty stable, but I still used some silicone "gasket maker" sealant around the base of the capacitors. In 24 hours, it will harden similar to the white sealant they use at the base of the capacitors from the factory. I figure between redwire's idea and the liberal use of the sealant, that should keep things nice and stable.

Just finished testing everything and everything seems to be good now! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad to hear it! If you took any photos of the finished thing do please post them

Comment

Working...
            X