Onkyo tx-sr606 fluorescent display not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo tx-sr606 fluorescent display not working

Hi I've had this on my receiver and fixed by replacing a bad cap on the video board a 470uf 63v cap end bulged out surprising as it was a nichicon but only rated for 85 degrees Celsius this was in addition to replacing the caps twice on the HDMI board. its a good receiver just needs fans to cool it surprising some models had them going by the service manual just not all. going to look into adding them from the schematic for now I have a fan on top sucking the heat out I suggest anyone else do the same.
    Attached Files

Re: Onkyo tx-sr606 fluorescent display not working

that's a terrible design putting caps near heatsinks!

Comment

I agree on that but there must be tons of these out there with bad caps and filling land fills as any one else would just junk it and buy new but its not a bad Receiver when it works still has Audessy new ones don't. Heat is the big killer in this one so I just put a Quiet 120 v fan on top to vent the heat so far so good! Why only some got the fans is probably Onkyo's cost cutting ?

Comment

I found my cap to be bulged out identically to your picture.

Is there any trick to changing that cap out? I've got it apart enough to have access to the bottom of the board. I though I read somewhere that I can just start pulling/twisting on the cap and it will come apart. I can then use the left-behind leads to solder the new cap to. Is that correct or do I need to completely de-solder the old one and and then solder in the new one?

Thanks a bunch,
        Dave

Comment

No, do not pull/twist that sort of caps. You can do that with SMD caps ( the small metal ones ), but doing it to thru-hole components, you might damage the board.
          Just get the board out and desolder the bad cap(s)... it is not that hard, just take photos on every step you make and you will be good.
          Also pay attention to the cable connectors.. if I remember right, those onkyos have the "push" type cable connectors ( push the connector and then pull the cable ). When connecting back the cables, be careful to put each wire in its hole.

Comment

Thanks much!

Comment

Hi, I got the same receiver and the same capacitor with problem. But I do not know how to remove the ribbon cable from the connector so as to take out the PCB. That connector does not look like the press and pull type. Could jblues and madan1 please help?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tmho; 03-30-2018, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Is this a post-1990s receiver? Definitely looks like it is! That kind of bullshit is typical of certain kinds of post-1990s stuff, which the frequenter folks of the badcaps.net message board, know too well!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-30-2018, 01:41 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by tmho View Post

Hi, I got the same receiver and the same capacitor with problem. But I do not know how to remove the ribbon cable from the connector so as to take out the PCB. That connector does not look like the press and pull type. Could jblues and madan1 please help?
                  Depressing the top part of this connector unlocks the wires inside the connector, so you can pull the flatcable out. This type of connector fooled me as well when I had to fix my TX-SR803 a few years back. I think the SM describes how to disconnect the flatcable.

To prevent damage to the flatcable I used a flat screwdriver to depress the top of the connector.

Do support the PCB's bottom when putting force on the connector to prevent the PCB from flexing. It's made of a material (phenol) that tears/breaks quite easily. Pertinax PCB material has already been around for ages, and yet manufacturers continue to make use of lower quality phenol PCB's, like Onkyo did here. Onkyo certainly isn't not the only one, though.

re-atari

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
                    Depressing the top part of this connector unlocks the wires inside the connector, so you can pull the flatcable out. This type of connector fooled me as well when I had to fix my TX-SR803 a few years back. I think the SM describes how to disconnect the flatcable.

To prevent damage to the flatcable I used a flat screwdriver to depress the top of the connector.

Do support the PCB's bottom when putting force on the connector to prevent the PCB from flexing. It's made of a material (phenol) that tears/breaks quite easily. Pertinax PCB material has already been around for ages, and yet manufacturers continue to make use of lower quality phenol PCB's, like Onkyo did here. Onkyo certainly isn't not the only one, though.

re-atari
                    I followed your method and successfully removed the cable. Thank you.

Comment

I have one more question. There is a bigger cap (16V 10000uF) beside the defective 63V 470uF cap as per Jblues photo above. At the bottom of the bigger cap, there is some white stuff. In my case, there is also white stuff at the bottom of both caps. The white stuff seems came out from the caps. Does that mean the bigger cap is defective and should be replaced although the top of it does bulge out?
                      Last edited by tmho; 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

i would change them all whilst in there.

Comment

The white stuff is glue used to secure the larger cap to the board, It does'nt come from the caps.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            The white stuff is glue used to secure the larger cap to the board, It does'nt come from the caps.
                            Thank you. You save me the money on buying that cap.

Comment

2021, and your post helped me. Thanks

Originally posted by Jblues View Post
                              Hi I've had this on my receiver and fixed by replacing a bad cap on the video board a 470uf 63v cap end bulged out surprising as it was a nichicon but only rated for 85 degrees Celsius this was in addition to replacing the caps twice on the HDMI board. its a good receiver just needs fans to cool it surprising some models had them going by the service manual just not all. going to look into adding them from the schematic for now I have a fan on top sucking the heat out I suggest anyone else do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jblues View Post
                                thanks for the solution !!!
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-16-2023, 03:19 AM. Reason: english

Comment

In my case the display is very weak. I can barely see the display.
                                  Any suggestions?
                                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by assenheimer View Post
                                    Any suggestions?
                                    Thanks!
                                    Maybe its just dimmed? press dimmer button, otherwise check ac line to display

Comment

Originally posted by debruina View Post
                                      Maybe its just dimmed? press dimmer button, otherwise check ac line to display
                                      The dimmer button goes even darker. When I press the dimmer button the display appears bright for a second and then goes very dark again.

Comment

Originally posted by assenheimer View Post
                                        Any suggestions?
                                        Thanks!
                                        Replace the display power capacitors (anode voltage and filament voltage).

Comment

Working...
                                        X