Pioneer SP-SB23W soundbar: no audio-out fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer SP-SB23W soundbar: no audio-out fix

This post is specific to the Pioneer SP-SB23W, also known as the "Andrew Jones Edition" soundbar. Andrew Jones being well known in the audiophile engineering industry for superb audio designs. My reason for stating this is if you are looking for an inexpensive 2.1 channel TV soundbar, this one rivals many 5.1 systems -- and without littering a room with speakers (sub-woofer is wireless, can be hidden anywhere). As a 9 year old device, they should be pretty cheap on the used market -- perhaps dirt cheap if no audio-out. Bought mine off of Craigslist cheap.

So here's the problem and associated fix:
    - PROBLEM: No audio output. For about a year the issue could be overcome by power cycling the unit a couple times. This was my hint it may be electrolytic capacitor related. Since it never failed to produce the low pop noise on power-up, I suspected the problem to be related to the audio amp circuit.
    - TEST: Checked every electrolytic cap across all 3 boards. To my surprise an out-of-spec cap was found on the power supply. The 470uF/50v cap measured between 660-700uF. ALSO: my DVM cannot measure the range for the 4700uF/35v caps on the audio amp board, so I considered those to be of unknown condition.
    - REPAIR: Ordered 3 replacement caps (includes the 2 I could not measure) from DigiKey:
    • one 470uF/50v P/N: 493-17364-ND @ $0.88 ea
    • two 4700uF/35v P/N: 1572-1499-ND @ $3.14 ea [Warning: these are slightly too wide but fit IF not fully seated, therefore another P/N with smaller diameter is recommended (length is not a concern)]

NOTE: I only took one photo of the electronics and did not record component IDs, however the above details are plenty for locating the caps on these small boards.

In closing, BadCaps has saved me a lot over the years, so this is my first chance to pay it forward, as they say.
    Last edited by myavocation; 01-29-2022, 07:56 PM. Reason: photo

Re: Pioneer SP-SB23W soundbar: no audio-out fix

UPDATE: I was able to see the power supply board photo on another forum. The good news is the 470uF/50v cap on the power supply board actually appears in my photo.

ALSO, it turns out the 4700uF caps I replaced are a common failure point, causing popping noises when powered On/Off.

Also, there are several other known issues with this soundbar, all related to electrolytic caps. Popping sounds and loss of subwoofer sync. The offending cap will be on either the power supply or audio amp boards. In short, you’ll need a $20 capacitance meter and at least a 60w soldering iron. The larger caps are soldered to ground, which is thick plating and dissipates much of iron’s heat. If you don’t already have a high wattage iron, I recommend a decent sized butane soldering iron. Is all I use for 40 years.

LEXIVON Butane Soldering Iron Multi-Purpose Kit | Cordless Self-Igniting Adjustable Flame 7-Tip Set | Pro Grade 125-Watt Equivalent (LX-770) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9ZKK9T
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-30-2022, 06:43 AM. Reason: Butane iron link

Comment

Re: Pioneer SP-SB23W soundbar: no audio-out fix

I just repaired a PS-PB23W soundbar. Although one of the power amp capacitors was failing the main problem turned out to be the 47uf 50v capacitors. Four out of five were bad. Pioneer either cheaped out on these or they came from a bad batch. I’ve documented the repair on Ifixit if interested.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...d#answer765558

Comment

Working...
      X